Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first thread started for this forum. Want to share a easy mod that should save some time, money, and headaches for others.

If you wanted to change the oil cooler oil, which is less than 1/2 liter, then you have to take the front lower panel off, which is a pain and not something you want to do every oil change. While my panel was off I cut a hole in to get access to the cooler plug. There is about 3” of empty space between the panel and the oil cooler/lines. I would still want to take the panel off to do this properly, but if you are VERY careful and don’t go too deep, you could still do this without taking it off the vehicle.

Here a couple pictures to show the panel while off the TH, and then close up installed to see where the drain plug is. This hole is located as far to the side of the panel as you can go, without needed to cut in the actual body panel. I wanted to keep the radius on the corners at least 1/2” so to not create a stress point for cracking. I drilled some small holes (about 1/16”) along the sides, but just inside of the final dimensions. Then I used a 1” diameter sanding drum on a drill to take it out to final dimensions.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg
There is just enough room to swing a swivel ratchet (or a standard wrench angle end). It will be tight to fit a full hand in there, but someone could enlarge the hole toward the centerline of the vehicle to fit a hand in. I wanted to keep it as small as reasonably possible.

I used Dimple Magnetic drain plugs. These sizes match up just right with the dimensions of the stock non-magnetic plugs. I've used them in the past for other vehicles and their quality has always been very high. They are great staff to work with. In fact, they sent my 2 different sizes for the oil cooler, while only charged for 1, and let me return the one I didn’t use.

Oil pan, M12 x 1.75 x 21mm
Oil cooler, M14 x 1.5 x 16mm

I bought their M16 x 1.5 x 12 plugs, should fit both front and rear diff. Will see soon on that. The transfer case seems to be a NPT thread, possibly 3/8.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts