Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I assume your are thinking the filter's edge would bottom out before the rubber seal was compressed enough to make an adequate seal? That being said ----> I have used many of the Mobil1's for all kinds of applications and never had a leak.
Just a thought but isn't the machined contact sealing surface on the block normally raised and that would prevent the filter from bottoming out? Never had a problem but be sure to report anything that you discover.

(y)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Perfer Mobil 1 filters myself and never had a problem with them on any of my cars... Fram is my second choice when I can't get the correct Mobil 1 filter... 'Haven't had any problems with those either.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Is anybody using WIX 57899XP? I'm using the 57060XP on my 5.7 Hemi. I like using XP because they are made in USA.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
The problem is that they seem to back off once installed unless you really torque them on pretty aggressively, regardless of the brand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, PoHawk you are correct, the Mobile 1 filter does not bottom out and Ive used Mobile 1 filters for over 15 years and have not experienced any leaking until recently, I have noticed some minor dripping from time to time. Just so happens Mobile 1 changed the Thickness of their seals, they use to be as thick as the Mopar and most other reputable Oil Filters. They now have the thinner seal as you can see in the pictures.
As I mentioned, I've been a fan of the Mobile 1 filters for years, I do hope they go back to the Thick Seals that they use to use on their Filters.
It may need to be posted on Facebook to get their attention.

Just Say'n

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have been using the SRT oil filter on the TH. In my profession, we only use WIX or Donladson, but hard to find for passenger vehicle applications all the time.
Tons of good info on bobistheoilguy.com. There is a lot of science behind oil filter construction. The oil filter bypass valves are made differently, some way better than others. The microns the filter media can actually filter out and the amount of media inside the filter. Not to mention the weight of the oil can affect filter performance, so cross referencing is not always the right solution and manufacturer's revise filters from time to time. Like the thinner seal that was mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes some good info on bobistheoilguy.com.

·
Registered
633 Posts
+1 on Mobil 1 and Wix. Fram is a POS.

Cut open a Fram and a Wix or Mobil 1 and you'll see the huge difference in filtration.

·
Registered
2021 Trackhawk, 2020 GT500, 2020 F250
27 Posts
+1 on Mobil 1 and Wix. Fram is a POS.

Cut open a Fram and a Wix or Mobil 1 and you'll see the huge difference in filtration.
On BITOG Fram Ultra is one of the best filters you can buy. Now anything lower is total crap.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't have any experience with Fram Ultra. The cheaper Frams are a POS.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I always tighten up the new filter past hand tight with a pair of oil filter vice grips.
Use them to start removing the old one.
Had one come loose on my SRT and start dripping oil on my garage floor a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I always tighten up the new filter past hand tight with a pair of oil filter vice grips.
Use them to start removing the old one.
Had one come loose on my SRT and start dripping oil on my garage floor a few years ago.
I do the same, happened to 2014 Overland Hemi was leaking with hand tightening, but not the Limited Hemi and previous Jeeps. Now I use the grips, but better the matching flute cap. Must be the greater oil pressure in the newer vehicles?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I thought that just about every spin-on filter was supposed to be tightened 3/4 turn past hand tight.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Every other car I've had including my 2002 Vette doing a hard hand tight was good enough.
It could very well be that what's printed on the boxes, and usually also the filters, is just misprints.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts