Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of having a new home built with a proper size garage, for a change.
While visiting the site, I parked in the street and picked up a framing nail, just my luck. My Hawk only has 6 K on the factory 3 season run flats. I seem to recall that someone posted a little known warranty on the tires, and where to look for it. I am also contemplating a Hellcat Durango this fall and possibly giving this vehicle to my wife ( if she wants it), after installing all season tires on it. Anyone know of this warranty? I don’t know if I trust a plug or patch on these tires, and I don’t feel like changing them out to all season rubber till the fall, should I decide to go that route.

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
there is no warranty for a nail. You can patch the tire as long as its not on the side wall. I have patched tires on all kinds of cars ( I write estimates for construction company so always on job sites)
Im curious if the tire went flat I didnt have my stock tires on long enough to know if they really work like that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tire did go flat to a point. I got a dash alert indicating the left rear tire and was able to drive it safely to an air pump a mile or two down the road. The tire had around 2 PSI left, but the sidewalk was stiff enough to keep the rim from getting damaged and held the car up relatively well. I was doing around 40-45 MPH when I noticed it and did not have to take too many turns to get to a station.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure they can repair a run flat at all, either with a patch or plug.

·
Super Moderator
1,048 Posts
The tire did go flat to a point. I got a dash alert indicating the left rear tire and was able to drive it safely to an air pump a mile or two down the road. The tire had around 2 PSI left, but the sidewalk was stiff enough to keep the rim from getting damaged and held the car up relatively well. I was doing around 40-45 MPH when I noticed it and did not have to take too many turns to get to a station.
wow you drove 40-45MPH and it was stable. thats cool I never used a run flat always wondered. so you can get to safety but probably ruin the tire if you go to far?
I would check to see if you can buy just 1 if the tread isnt far off you can get away with one tire. All wheel drive is weird though the tires have to be very close to the same. Tire shop should know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Follow up.
I contacted the car dealer who recommended I go to an independent tire dealer. I went to a local Belle Tire who measured my tread depth ( new tire is 10/32, mine was a bit over 7/32), took my mileage (6110) and called Pirelli for me. He later contacted me and said that Pirelli told him that they decided to UNILATERALLY change their tire warranty to one year free replacement and they would no longer pro rate the tire above 2/32 tread as was the stated policy. I called the Pirelli representative myself and asked why they took such a unilateral action without notice. I said that the run flats are not repairable and that it would be a bad PR move to pull the plug on an existing agreement. The 3 season P Zeros were an expensive upgrade over the 4 season rubber ( I believe $900 list), and had I known that the warranty was going to be torpedoed, I would have considered the optional wheel+ tire warranty from the dealer at time of purchase.
Their response was to give me a case number for the dealer to in for an adjustment , which he did, and it only amounted to 15% off, or roughly $460 OTD. He also recommended I replace all 4 due to the AWD drivetrain of the vehicle. At this point, Pirelli has closed their door on my face, and though I have them on my other vehicles, I will buy other brands going forward.
I will replace these tires with all season performance rubber for my wife to drive while I order a new vehicle for myself as stated and keep some of my other 4WD for real crappy weather.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the next question has been asked before but, since I live in Michigan, I would like to buy a set of all seasons for the TH that still maintain the factory speed and load rating, as well as the dry performance of the factory rubber. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I new from day one that I would never buy run flats, Purchased Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +3, but my Jeep didn't come with spare, so I was able to piece together everything for a spare: jack, tools, foam spacer & tool holder, trailer hitch and having the wiring turned on at Dealer for $1100. Figured I make it up on first tire replacement. I have all the factory part numbers and could have saved more by shopping Ebay, on more of the parts, but was able to get everything sooner, have wholesale account at dealer, a lot of the part numbers I didn't buy from them, got the wheel & tire for $500 @ Ebay. I've been very pleased with the Michelin, even had some snow here and did very well. Even with spare I would not drive very far without repairing main tire because of AWD.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can patch run flats, no problem. A good tire place will use a vulcanized patch in the area and the tire is good to go. Never use a plug!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts