Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
2018 red trackhawk. Full bolt on. E85. Interchiller. Throttle body. Upper&lower pully. Spacers
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

New to the forum 馃憢but have had my 18 trackhawk a couple Years now. Was hoping to get some opinions on an issue the truck has been having.

Currently the jeep has full bolt on.
Built and ported race blower with kong throttle body.
Fi 2in blower spacer and blanket
Fi interchiller
1300 injectors on e85
2.56 upper pulley
10%over lower
Headers
Passanger side catch can.
About 1200 crank

The issue I'm having is at wot and shifting at redline (which I believe is set to 6800) the coolant will burp into the overflow. Not every time though. I have changed multiple thermostat and changed the radiator cap. But not the water pump. As the only one around that is sellable is $800! And they won't price match馃ぃ. I let the truck sit after the "burp" and found what I would think is a small layer of oil in the coolant reservoir but was not chemically tested.
Automotive lighting Gadget Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior

And also looks like coolant in the catch can or may be condensation from e85?
Cap Jewellery Button Circle Electric blue

Once the "burp" happens and the truck returns to idle the coolant temp will go up and down and around until I bleed the system of air. Usually the truck stays at 185 no matter what, idle, cruising, 1/8 run ect. I am stuck thinking it's a head gasket or heads lifting at wot and was hoping to see what yeall think!

Registered
Couple questions, what psi radiator cap did you go to. Some use same psi and others use ones that are rated 2-3 psi more that stock.

I have the std FI supercharger spacers and seen 1" spacers but have not seen 2" spacers. Does yours use the same engineered plastic and oring sealing design as the std FI spacers? I have seen sealing failures with the aluminum spacers made by others as they use different orings than FI.

You are spinning your supercharger dangerously hard with a 2.56/10% combo especially at 6,800, how may psi boost are you making with that combination?

Registered
2018 red trackhawk. Full bolt on. E85. Interchiller. Throttle body. Upper&lower pully. Spacers
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went with an original psi rated cap.

2in fi spacers are pretty new and come with titanium blower bolts and yes they are the same plastic o ring combo.

And yes I know she's spinning fast. I havnt really gotten a good look at the gauge but I remember seeing 20 22 I THINK. It been a while since I have been on it hard trying to work out a previous trans issue.

But I am currently tearing into her. Got lucky enough to find studs and gaskets. Figured it was a sign.

Registered
I'm running 18+ psi on a 2.85/9% IW lower combo and considered trying a 2.75 upper but not sure if I want to push 19 psi on a stock bottom end. A 2.65 or especially a 2.56/10% at 6,800 RPM is spinning past efficiency zone of the stock IHI supercharger and typically on borrowed time. Might be time for a Whipple 3.0. 馃槈馃憤

22 psi is getting up there (little surprised the stock ported supercharger can push that) but have only heard of lifting a head at about 24psi boost with stock head bolts. Studs are definitely a great idea. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 22psi might of even been before the blower build and porting. So maybe we are close to 24.

I wish the Whipple was out before I started doing all this probably would of been cheaper 馃槃 here's a pic of the spacers.
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Tool

And I lied they are 1in. 2in the blower would hit the firewall. My bad

Registered
Ah, that makes more sense as I was wondering how 2" spacers would clear the hood and inner firewall. 馃槈

Are you on the stock bottom end yet? If so that's impressive! But yeah, pushing that much boost you may be squeezing past the head gaskets so switching to studs is a good move. 馃憤

Your injectors are good but have you been monitoring your injector duty cycle on E85 in colder weather? I added a dual boost a pump just as extra insurance that I have enough fuel supply.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock bottom end but maybe not for much longer.

I have not checked duty cycle. The shop I have do the work on this said we shouldn't need it unless we go to e98 or higher octane ect.

But it looks like I may have a bigger problem now馃う鈥嶁檪锔. Maybe a lean issue? No debris in the exhaust.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Locking hubs Gas
cylinder 1
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Metal
cylinder 3
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive engine gasket Rim
cylinder 1 head
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Locking hubs
cylinder 3 head

Registered
Oof, Is that what I think it is? 馃 Piston top edged missing and the top ring peeking out.馃槵 I can't believe there is no impact marks on the top of the piston or cylinder head. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Musical instrument Wood Circle Jewellery Font

Same thing different piston at the top, but what is going on here at the bottom? Another piston chip possibly?

Wood Jaw Tints and shades Art Sky

You are running a ton of boost so it's hard to say why it happened as the spark plug electrodes appear to be intact which seems odd if the damage was caused by a lean condition.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's exactly what you think it is. And I have no idea why there are no marks on the piston or cylinder head. It must of disintegrated. Currently there are cats and don't see anything in there. But there is some of the catalyst missing at the bottom and havnt looked into it yet.

As for electrodes. Maybe a year ago or so, cylinder 3, the electrodes melted and made a misfire. So I pulled all the plugs and the shop made changes. So idk maybe the pistons have been like that for a while now. But there is minimal scaring on the block.

As for the debris at the bottom it is just gasket material from removal and was not cleaned out yet. But I didn't notice the chip looking piece to the right of your green circle so I will take another look.

Thanks for sticking around for the discussion!

Registered
Sorry to hear about the condition of the pistons, but it's awesome that the cylinder walls and cylinder head appear to not be harmed. 馃槂

The current spark plugs don't look too bad overall, so likely the original damage happened back when the electrodes melted off. Cylinder temps got pretty high at one time to eat the plug electrode possiblly from a lean condition that the piston deck above the top ring likely had enough at that point. 馃樀

Have you done many hard/long pulls with 1/4 or less tank of fuel? Possibly is was just fuel starved at one time. 馃

Running such an aggressive boost/pulley combination I'm guessing you have a dedicated E85 only tune as it is just too much for a flex fuel tune IMO without a pulley swap. Maybe you just got a tank of "bad" E85 once.

Sounds like you are a confident mechanic from your original observations and to dig in this far already. Keep sharing what you find as it's good for the community to learn from everyone's experiences. Both good and sometimes bad unfortunately.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for feeling my pain 馃槃.

Cylinder 1 looks washed up and down where the pice is missing馃う鈥嶁檪锔. So she might be getting bored out.

Can't recall fuel levels but that is a good point. Should of been logging during the runs. I guess i have to much confidence in the tuner. But I have only had it down the track maybe 3 4 times. And the last time is when the coolant issue started happening.

Yes dedicated e85. And definitely could of gotten bad e85. Choices are kind of limited out here unless I want to drive 30 min 1 way, or order barrels and let them sit a while.

Thanks a bunch for your great input! Whats weird is that cylinder 1 had the best compression when tested before tear down. Now it's time to make a thread for parts haha 馃槃

Super Moderator
Thanks for feeling my pain 馃槃.

Cylinder 1 looks washed up and down where the pice is missing馃う鈥嶁檪锔. So she might be getting bored out.

Can't recall fuel levels but that is a good point. Should of been logging during the runs. I guess i have to much confidence in the tuner. But I have only had it down the track maybe 3 4 times. And the last time is when the coolant issue started happening.

Yes dedicated e85. And definitely could of gotten bad e85. Choices are kind of limited out here unless I want to drive 30 min 1 way, or order barrels and let them sit a while.

Thanks a bunch for your great input! Whats weird is that cylinder 1 had the best compression when tested before tear down. Now it's time to make a thread for parts haha 馃槃
Upgrade that fuel system and get an ethanol content sensor鈥︹t least that鈥檚 what I did after popping a couple holes in my factory block.

Registered
I've seen worse. Just a little blowby. hahahhaha

Household hardware Nickel Bicycle part Rim Bicycle drivetrain part

Registered
Well, looks there is piston blow by and then there is total blow out, 馃槼 so it looks like Lil Hemi unfortunately wins 馃弳 the engine paperweight club contest today. 馃槈

..... Also a club I hope to never be a member of, just say'n. 馃

Overall everyone's situation will be different on what happened to cause engine failure, but it often revolves around a moment of fuel starvation or an unexpected "bad fuel" situation.

When pushing high boost levels and increased ignition timing for large increases in horse power, the healthy engine fuel quality and fuel supply requirements narrow significantly where steps to increase this margin of safety are highly recommend.

I agree that an ECA (ethanol content analyzer) is a good investment to consider when burning 馃敟 pump E85.

I am using a Zeitronix ECA gauge hidden in my glove box for piece of mind.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey Carbon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, looks there is piston blow by and then there is total blow out, 馃槼 so it looks like Lil Hemi unfortunately wins 馃弳 the engine paperweight club contest today. 馃槈

..... Also a club I hope to never be a member of, just say'n. 馃

Overall everyone's situation will be different on what happened to cause engine failure, but it often revolves around a moment of fuel starvation or an unexpected "bad fuel" situation.

When pushing high boost levels and increased ignition timing for large increases in horse power, the healthy engine fuel quality and fuel supply requirements narrow significantly where steps to increase this margin of safety are highly recommend.

I agree that an ECA (ethanol content analyzer) is a good investment to consider when burning 馃敟 pump E85.

I am using a Zeitronix ECA gauge hidden in my glove box for piece of mind.

View attachment 11004

Looks clean! 馃憣

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What boost a pumps are you all using? I'm assuming you gotta drop the tank to get in there? I'm thinking I'm going to have to add a boost a pump and/ or more pumps and bigger lines馃槵. Hopefully just the booster

When i get her back together I'm planning on some investigation time on the dyno. Watching 馃憖 everything like a hawk. Get it trackhawk 馃槃 and then we'll decide if we need fuel pump help.

Just waiting on a vvt spacer for the crank sprocket and she'll be back in, in no time. If everything goes well........馃馃槵

Registered
Great positive attitude 馃憤 and I hope everything comes together very soon for you. 馃檪

Your 1300 injectors are a great choice and should be large enough running E85. They also have great drivability if you have the need to run (and idle) on 93 octane. However it is a good idea to keep an eye on your injector duty cycle (especially in colder conditions) running E85. You should not need bigger lines or fuel rails to meet your fuel needs.

You likely already know this but if not .... BAP kits only amplify the voltage to the fuel pumps to overdrive them while the engine is under heavy acceleration. During part throttle cruising BAPs are "off" and the pumps operate at stock voltage.

Two "dual" BAP options available that are triggered differently, JMS and Kenny Bell.

The JMS is triggered by a predetermined throttle pedal position no matter what the supercharger boost is at.

The Kenny Bell is boost pressure triggered, so anytime your boost is 5 psi or greater the KB BAP is on no matter the throttle position.

Personally I am running the Kenny Bell Dual boost a pump sold for the Demon and TrackHawk as we have two fuel pumps from the factory.

Light Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Cable

No need to drop the fuel tank for installing a BAP, the wiring is easy peasy with snap together plug and play wiring harness connectors. The two fuel pump control modules are located under the rear seat bottom on the driver's side so easy to get to.

Electrical wiring Motor vehicle Cable Automotive exterior Hood

I mounted my BAP controller just behind the rear seat and in front of the spare tire storage area. It sits hidden in a void under the rear hatch floor that has plenty of space around it to keep it cool.

There is a wide spring loaded carpeted door on the rear hatch floor that drops down when you fold the rear seats forward. If you flip up this little door you will see the area I used.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right on! Thanks for the write up! Sometimes engineers put stuff in good spots!! I might just have to get one on the truck. I'd rather be safe for this next build as it may have a little more....stroke....馃槵.

Where does the KB get its boost reference?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts