Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Shell as my preferred gasoline brand for the last ten years for my Chevy SS, Porsche, SRT, and now TH. I have had no problems and gas mileage keeps with advertised claims (when not wearing the lead shoes! )
I also have an app that will locate Shell stations when I travel.
Just curious if anyone gets better results with another brand of gas.
Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The fuel from different filling stations ALL comes from a COMMON regional source: the "base gas" from a refinery. The only thing that is different at all between fuels is the additives that they put into the fuel. These additives do nothing to make the Base fuel better for the motor. The only thing the additives do is make the Brand more money. Base fuel has cleaning agents already in the fuel and no other additives are needed period. Its all marketing and a way for a Brand to increase price period.

So in short!

Gas from Costco,Shell ,Chevron,7-11,BP exc All starts from the same regional refinery to meet set standards for fuel including the necessary cleaning agents. So the Fuel from your shell station came from the exact same regional refinery as the fuel from the 7-11 down the street. All the extra garbage like "Techron" are all sales gimmicks to help BRAND and increase pricing. This is one of the biggest things most people do not know about fuel. Also the additives do not make the fuel better it does not increase octane it does not make it more powerful in terms of the BTUs. Feel free to look it up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geno.

So Shell is using the Jedi mind trick. “This is the gas you are looking for!” :eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
The fuel from different filling stations ALL comes from a COMMON regional source: the "base gas" from a refinery. The only thing that is different at all between fuels is the additives that they put into the fuel. These additives do nothing to make the Base fuel better for the motor. The only thing the additives do is make the Brand more money. Base fuel has cleaning agents already in the fuel and no other additives are needed period. Its all marketing and a way for a Brand to increase price period.

So in short!

Gas from Costco,Shell ,Chevron,7-11,BP exc All starts from the same regional refinery to meet set standards for fuel including the necessary cleaning agents. So the Fuel from your shell station came from the exact same regional refinery as the fuel from the 7-11 down the street. All the extra garbage like "Techron" are all sales gimmicks to help BRAND and increase pricing. This is one of the biggest things most people do not know about fuel. Also the additives do not make the fuel better it does not increase octane it does not make it more powerful in terms of the BTUs. Feel free to look it up.

You are probably right but without referencing factual info your post is just another internet opinion...

·
Registered
695 Posts
You are probably right but without referencing factual info your post is just another internet opinion...
Do you think Shell’s 91 octane is any better than Mobil’s or BP’s, or anyone else’s? They need to meet a certain minimum standard, and once that’s met they are all the same. 93 octane is better than 91 and so on, but the brands are no better than each other.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get mine at walmart hi vol fresher gas.
Filled up at our local Walmart, just across the street from Shell and saved .17 cents / gallon.
Since I track all fill ups and mileage, I’ll see if there is a difference.

Again, thanks goes out to the forum for the insights.

·
Registered
72 Posts
While Geno's point is true, it all comes from the same refinery, the additives DO make a difference, and of course so does octane. I have seen studies that have shown there is absolutely a difference between gas that is rated "Top Tier" versus gas that is not. Costco is "Top Tier", so is Shell and Chevron, etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you think Shell’s 91 octane is any better than Mobil’s or BP’s, or anyone else’s? They need to meet a certain minimum standard, and once that’s met they are all the same. 93 octane is better than 91 and so on, but the brands are no better than each other.
I don't know what brand is better...I have read a lot of opinions over the years but no real facts. I do know from experience that buying cheap gas may not be a good idea...I had a friend who owned an 06 SRT just like the 06 SRT I used to own. I traded mine for a SRT10 but before I did my friend wanted to buy the ported heads I had on mine. We both had approx 17,000 miles on our vehicles. He had always used 93 octane from the local supermarket. I always ran EXXON in mine. The ports on my heads were like new while his were coated with sludge...

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
I agree with Geno when it comes to brand. I nor any tuner I have ever used has ever found any difference from one brand to another as far as performance.

However, what I do believe can make a difference is the station itself.

Due to the tune and mods done on one of my previous vehicles I wanted to keep a close eye on the knock sensors so any knock would kick off a warning light. More than once I picked up fuel and watched the lights go off like a Christmas tree until I fueled up from another location.

But I never found a pattern that indicated every time I picked up XXX it had more or less knock.

Every brand I tried, top tier or not, some fill-ups went fine, other fill-ups did not.

What I HAVE noticed is that I received these issues less often from "top tier" gas stations than I did from the no name / generic brands.

While the fuel may have all started out the same, the top tier brands seemed to do a better job regulating the transfer of the fuel and holding the station to higher quality standards when it came to the tank and other equipment condition.

Again, not 100%, in fact one of the worst events I had was from a Chevron gas station, it was so bad that the car tried to die when I came to a stop sign... Topped it back off at another Chevron down the road, and all was well again.

So nothing is fool proof, I simply tend to be more loyal to specific stations more so than specific brands. If I know a station has provided good fuel with no issues, I will go back, even if they change brands (which has happened a few times).

But when I am in unknown areas I tend to stick with top tier brands to hopefully reduce the chance of station introduced issues.

Reactions: Vaako

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve done the same as Daniel and in past builds would watch for knock to rear it’s head and pull timing. I personally would see it more in Citgo and other lower grade fuels. But have seen it in top tier as well, just a lot rarer cases. A also notice that I get solid mpg’s with top twit gas and with cheaper fuel. It’s hit or moos if I will get similar mileage. I have no idea why, just my 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts