IMO......I would find a dealer with a new JGC with the rear entertainment system and ask if you can see how the system works. They will probably not know either lol. Hopefully someone who has had in their Jeep before will see this, but it is a long shot.I'm trying to understand the $2k rear screen options, if anyone with experience or knowledge of it could chime in would be much appreciated. Basically I'm wondering if I can play ripped media on the rear monitors, preferably USB or SD card stored, but if I could put 20-30 movies in mp4 format on a blue ray that would also work I suppose.
1) Not clear to me: Is the rear system in the '18 trackhawk an old stand alone Mopar unit, or the integrated Uconnect Theater product (driveuconnect.com/faq.html#theatre)? If the Mopar (seems to be), then am I correct that there is no integration at all with the front sources, such as the 2 USB ports? Essentially two basic stand alone screens with 2 HDMI and 2 composite inputs coupled with a BlueRay player?
2) Put anothe way, can the two front USB ports on '18 models be used to play media on the rear screens, or just the front screen? The online user manual for the car / Uconnect does not show USB as a source option for the rear (it shows Disc, Comp 1, Comp 2, HDMI 1, HDMI 2 -- hence my initial conclusion above that it is stand alone). If so, can different files be selected for each rear screen from the same source (I assume not, but worth asking).
3) Again, if it is the stand alone Mopar unit, can the blue ray read/select mp4 files if multiple files/movies are burned to a single disc? The user manual isn't clear to me on this what file formats can be read.
4) Or can the same type of portable media (eg MP4 files) be read and decoded from the HDMI port using an HDMI to SD or USB adapter, or will it only show video content that is already streaming, such as a portable DVD player or roku streaming box? I assume the later.
5) I understand the blueray player kills the storage in the center console, but do the screens reduce back seat clearance? A have commented in various threads I found but opinions seemed mixed/unclear on this.
Thanks much for any input, it seems a very outdated option for $2k, especially given you lose the console storage also, but want to clarify I'm understanding it correctly.....