Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - we finally did our first road trip in the TH. Not a big one ~1000 miles (1600KM) this weekend. Here are our my initial thoughts:

- No comments on power / performance, we all know about that...

- Very comfortable ride given the track oriented suspension. I'm still trying to figure out if the shocks are adjustable between modes like my C7. I'm sure the answers are here with a search.

- Not bad mileage (22mpg) mostly highway. Obviously didn't purchase her for mileage but I expected worse.

- As the auto journalists have pointed out many times, the steering is way too light. It needs to be stiffened up by about 35 - 40% like my X5. This is not connected to driver mode for sure. While I'm still getting acquainted with her, it seemed like anytime I sniffed or navigated the middle display, I'd sway back and forth on the road. I'll get used to it.

- ACC (auto cruise control): works pretty good when there isn't a lot of heavy traffic. When cars are shifting in and out of lanes with a lot with traffic (in our city we have it bad until you get 60 mi out), the TH punches it and brakes a lot to accommodate making for a jerky ride. No biggie given the torque.

- Exhaust is pretty quite. Nice for a long ride but would be great to have active exhaust dampening. Maybe aftermarket in the future.

- 8th gear should be lower for MPG. The revs were too high at 70 MPH.

- I parked next to a Urus in the parking garage in Montreal. While it's a beautiful exotic beast, I couldn't help but think I'd give you a serious run for your money.. ha ha .

- Seats are comfortable and provide great support. The cooled / vented option could provide a bit more airflow.

All in all, I have no major complaints and lots of gratitude towards her for what she is. No regrets making the purchase.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Interesting road trip comments... But 22 mpg??? That is amazing. I've been on a number of 1000+ mile trips and I can't come close to that. Even when I drive it ultra conservative 0:) for 400 to 500 miles the best I can get at highway speeds is about 18... Maybe just a little more. Just got back from Vegas a few weeks ago and I only got about 15 on the average but that's running the AC all the time and running 80 to 90+ most of the time with a good number of high speed passes thrown in. But as you say, we didn't buy this thing for it's gas mileage.

·
Registered
535 Posts
700 miles since Wednesday and 18.4 is the best I could do, fully loaded 70-80mph.
Have another 400 miles coming up Sunday.

Camping Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
22??!! Are you sure they didn't give you the Trailhawk by mistake?? 😂
I just did my first 800km trip and 18 mpg is the best I could do cruising at 110km/h most of the way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was shocked at the mpg. I measured it by filling the tank and then refilling at empty and comparing miles. I didn't use the computer. Keep in mind I was driving like there was a bucket of water in the trunk. My wife can get car sickness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
22??!! Are you sure they didn't give you the Trailhawk by mistake?? 😂
I just did my first 800km trip and 18 mpg is the best I could do cruising at 110km/h most of the way.
That's about the same as me. Just after taking possession, I took a road trip (a measly 650 km), and averaged (on the screen) almost 18 mpg. I don't trust the display, I always calculate based on distance and the amount of fuel at fill up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agree completely with your assessment of the steering, suspension, and exhaust. It’s too bad the drive modes can’t adjust the steering like my M5. I think you may have miscalculated your MPG though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the seats aren't *that* comfortable? In particular, I wish they had leg support extensions. My Porsche Macan Turbo & BMX X3 M40i both have it (though the BMW's is manually actuated.)

Also 22mpg is insane, bordering on impossible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK - I dug up my notes and re-calculated the MPG. I did make a mistake. I actually got 20 MPG. Something got lost when I converted it from L per 100KM.

Keep in mind the roads were flat and I drove ultra conservative. At the end of the day I don't really care about the mileage and will certainly consistently get worse than that.

·
Registered
352 Posts
OK - I dug up my notes and re-calculated the MPG. I did make a mistake. I actually got 20 MPG. Something got lost when I converted it from L per 100KM.

Keep in mind the roads were flat and I drove ultra conservative. At the end of the day I don't really care about the mileage and will certainly consistently get worse than that.
Under perfect conditions that seems possible. e.g. Flat roads, no AC, light load, keeping it under 70mph and maybe even running in eco mode (if that really helps).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even 20 is impressive if at 70 mph average. I got mid 19 only once when driving in the keys at a constant 45-50. Faster, it drops depending on how fast and how hard on the petal.. It's not easy to stay below 50 in mt TH..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Under perfect conditions that seems possible. e.g. Flat roads, no AC, light load, keeping it under 70mph and maybe even running in eco mode (if that really helps).
Eco mode. I had my wife read the online manual while we were on the trip to see what eco mode does. The description is vague. In my other ride, eco switches V8 to V4 mode (which I hate because I can feel it switch modes) . Luckily I can disable it.

·
Super Moderator
1,782 Posts
There’s other discussions about Eco mode but it shifts sooner as well as a power reduction. I use it for my weekday commute to keep me from getting arrested.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think I may have pressed the Eco mode button once, just to see if the button worked :smile2:. I didn't notice any immediate difference for the ~2 minutes I had it on. I guess it's an interesting gimmick, but it's not what I bought this thing for. I'd much rather see FCA turn the ECO button into a "press to pass" button. :smile2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts