Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Running straight E85 on a s1025 engine package with "flex fuel" tune and wondering if anyone is using any fuel additives they recommend or if they are even needed?

I have read/watched videos etc. about how running E85 long term can clog up fuel injectors (running I.D. x1300s) where some recommend running a tank of 93 once a month. Seems it's also recommend not to let a vehicle sit for weeks/months without running when using E85.

However, I have also read E85 burns clean and can verify that by how amazingly clean my exhaust pipes are inside when I recently removed them. 馃憤

Not sure it is necessary but I have been using some Lucas Ethanol Conditoner to keep the injectors clean in theory.

If it matters, the Jeep It is only a sunny day vehicle for me so as winter approaches the Hawk will be sitting unused for longer periods of time (weeks or months) and maybe a fuel additive/stabilizer is a good idea to use. 馃

So what are the thoughts from other e85 users? Do you run a tank of pump gas once in a while, use an additive, or just keep feeding the beast the 馃尳 corn?

Super Moderator
yes run that lucas stuff I use the same thing most of the time.
you injectors wont clog they get rusted for lack of better words. The ID1300s have a coating on them to prevent this so the injectors are safe but you want the lucas stuff to protect the rest of your motor. if your TH is going to sit a while I would run out the e85 and stick reg 93 gas in there also just to be safe. Ive never seen the damage but my buddy who builds race cars has been using e85 since day one in a lot of his builds and he seen the insides and was the one to warn me to use the a conditioner. Back then he said "mystery oil" but lucas has came out with this since then so I use it instead now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
yes run that lucas stuff I use the same thing most of the time.
you injectors wont clog they get rusted for lack of better words. The ID1300s have a coating on them to prevent this so the injectors are safe but you want the lucas stuff to protect the rest of your motor. if your TH is going to sit a while I would run out the e85 and stick reg 93 gas in there also just to be safe. Ive never seen the damage but my buddy who builds race cars has been using e85 since day one in a lot of his builds and he seen the insides and was the one to warn me to use the a conditioner. Back then he said "mystery oil" but lucas has came out with this since then so I use it instead now.
Glad to hear I may be on the correct path using the Lucas conditioner/stabilizer and know you are using it also.

Been in the 40s here but expect so see 60 degrees again next week so still on full E85 yet. Planning on moving to 93 octane for long sitting periods during the winter but trying to decide if I keep the 2.85 upper on still and run a 93/E85 blend (with Lucas additive) or just swap to a 3.05 upper pulley dropping the boost a little.

Presently seeing 17 -18 psi at full throttle with current pulley combo
and not comfortable with that much boost on just 93 octane. 馃檮 So may swap to a 3.05 upper just for piece of mind on straight 93 octane and skip the ethanol for the "storage low useage" months. Any thoughts on this?

Registered
Fresh E85 is not the problem. If E85 sits for a period of time as noted by others, because of it's hydroscopic nature, it is the moisture that causes damage. These additives do not prevent the Hygroscopicity of E85 and attempt to address the issue by preventing the affects of the moisture on metal surfaces.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Fresh E85 is not the problem. If E85 sits for a period of time as noted by others, because of it's hydroscopic nature, it is the moisture that causes damage. These additives do not prevent the Hygroscopicity of E85 and attempt to address the issue by preventing the affects of the moisture on metal surfaces.
Yes, thank you for your input. I do understand ethanol is hygroscopic by nature and by your definition of additives they are inherently good in their intent. Whether or not they actually work (protecting metal from moistute) that is the real question.

Are there any ethanol additives that work better than others that you would recommend?

Question open for discussion.... Since we are not storing our ethanol out in open containers (exposed to humidity, wide temperature swings, etc) but in a closed and hopefully sealed fuel tank, how much moisture content can ethanol actually absorb while in a fuel tank with a working fuel cap that seals when tightened properly?

Are these modern "capless" automobile fuel tanks inherently a bad idea on today's vehicles since most Americans are pumping E10 into them on a daily basis?

Do we need to go back to fuel tanks with sealed gas caps as the government is working towards forcing us all towards an E15 gasoline/ethanol blend at the pump?

Super Moderator
Yes, thank you for your input. I do understand ethanol is hygroscopic by nature and by your definition of additives they are inherently good in their intent. Whether or not they actually work (protecting metal from moistute) that is the real question.

Are there any ethanol additives that work better than others that you would recommend?

Question open for discussion.... Since we are not storing our ethanol out in open containers (exposed to humidity, wide temperature swings, etc) but in a closed and hopefully sealed fuel tank, how much moisture content can ethanol actually absorb while in a fuel tank with a working fuel cap that seals when tightened properly?

Are these modern "capless" automobile fuel tanks inherently a bad idea on today's vehicles since most Americans are pumping E10 into them on a daily basis?

Do we need to go back to fuel tanks with sealed gas caps as the government is working towards forcing us all towards an E15 gasoline/ethanol blend at the pump?
I agree with the additives are supposed to work but who knows if they are. it will take us and long term usage to find out. I can tell you cars with out it were destroyed. I cant tell you anything other then that as that was all my builder told me. I dont know enough to ask questions anyways so I just listened to his advice and have been adding the conditioners since day 1.
all the cars he seen it on were modern Fords (mustangs) and they all run pure E85 they dont mix like we do. I dont even know if they let them sit long periods or what no clue? Change the oil add the 93 and put the monster away for the winter is what I would do if I lived in a area that snowed and I was storing.

as far as the 305 pulley I wouldnt bother your not gonna drive it a lot correct? if you do just dont get crazy with it. before you know it summer is back and you dont have to swap pulleys again.
If you plan to drive it and drive it hard thats a thought for sure and probably what I would do. That cold air might put your boost past its limits? thats stuff I dont know about so cant help sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts