Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I am slapping a magnuson2650 on my truck... So it has been away since June. I am finally getting her back soon, and was planning to run a flex fuel tune.....

I post this stuff on my instagram, and I got more than a handful of messages saying..... Careful with flexfuel in the hawk as its not a real flex....

So than what is it? Do they tune for certain parameters and let the ECU handle it ? Does it change the tune based on what %e you are or is it done by pulling timing from knock.

Me and the shop performing my work, have gone back and forth and done a bit of research. And we both can find evidence of both answers.

Is it better to have to diff tunes? and never mix the fuel? I really like flex as im gonna drive this baby from NJ to Florida and e85 is scarce along i95....

You dont even have to answer me you can just tell me to go read a website..... But i am VERY confused lol

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
As many of you know, I am slapping a magnuson2650 on my truck... So it has been away since June. I am finally getting her back soon, and was planning to run a flex fuel tune.....

I post this stuff on my instagram, and I got more than a handful of messages saying..... Careful with flexfuel in the hawk as its not a real flex....

So than what is it? Do they tune for certain parameters and let the ECU handle it ? Does it change the tune based on what %e you are or is it done by pulling timing from knock.

Me and the shop performing my work, have gone back and forth and done a bit of research. And we both can find evidence of both answers.

Is it better to have to diff tunes? and never mix the fuel? I really like flex as im gonna drive this baby from NJ to Florida and e85 is scarce along i95....

You dont even have to answer me you can just tell me to go read a website..... But i am VERY confused lol
your TH does take flex fuel not sure why they say it wont? you will need bigger injectors. Maybe thats what they are saying?

the tune will adjust in the computer mine works flawless from 91 oct to pure E85 the power difference is amazing. E85 burns super fast so I end up mixing 91 oct and E85 so I have more HP but dont goto the station every other day. long trips i use pure 91.

Livernois isnt the only one to have it figured out but they were first and they do have to nailed IMO. If I had your TH and your $ I would take it to them to tune at their shop on the dyno. you are going to have to much power and to many unknowns to trust a mail order tune and a remote tune will take forever.

def dont let someone 'TRY" a flex tune on your monster get just a straight tune first.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The TH manual says not to use E85, and of course if the PCM and injectors aren't set up for it that makes perfect sense, but I wonder if the rest of the stock fuel system (that does not get swapped out by the performance shop) is really fully and long-term compatible with E85?

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
Lots of hellcats have been running E85 for a long time and I haven’t heard anything yet. True, you can’t put in E85 with stock tune but to my knowledge there are no compatibility issues with the fuel system, don’t even need to upgrade the fuel pump, just the injectors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pretty sure I saw another tuner doing flex as well. Curt Dusterhoff I think.
Curt Dusterhoff gets my vote! Been talking a lot with him and he knows his stuff. He is real careful too. He will not chance running a small pulley and yanking a bunch of timing out to make it work on pump for a flex tune.

He is also the one that tuned the other magnuson 2650 Trackhawk on a mustang dyno making 904awhp.

Look him up, he'll answer any question you throw at him!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seeing this is so re-assuring. Even after the praise talking with Metraman.

Giving Curt my CC in the next few days on a Flex. Depending on baseline results tonight probably much, much more:crying:

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
The PCM unlock and tuning is a large portion of the price, the injectors retail around $1800, upper pulley around 600, I think the lower was about 600 and then it’s just spark plugs and a thermostat. That should get you around 1K hp.

I’m sure Rocket will chime in with similar advice but if you’re going to void your warranty, might as well put some real power parts in there too.

You might look into the interchiller as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
The PCM unlock and tuning is a large portion of the price, the injectors retail around $1800, upper pulley around 600, I think the lower was about 600 and then it’s just spark plugs and a thermostat. That should get you around 1K hp.

I’m sure Rocket will chime in with similar advice but if you’re going to void your warranty, might as well put some real power parts in there too.

you nailed it. If your gonna void it might as well get some real power out of it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The only ones who have real flex figured on the Hellcats is Livernois

No, just no ... FF tuning the way it is done in this platform is not a secret. All the tuners can do it, some just are not comfortable offering it.

And yes, the pcm uses the o2 sensors to infer the alcohol % in the fuel system and adjusts timing to suit it.... which is the problem many tuners are not comfortable with. The fuel is already used and at the O2 before the pcm knows the proper timing to use.

While it’s a proven and “safe” setup to run, there are some precautions you have to use and be aware of. The main one is giving your pcm enough time to adapt to a different fuel after fueling up. Motors have been lost on the TH by coming off a tank of E85, fueling up with 93octane, and beating on it out of the gas station.

All of that said, call Curt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Yea i have 1300 injectors.... triple fuel pumps... +24% fuel lobe cam... So i deff have the fuel there.... Tunetimeperformance is doing the tuning right now.... They said I can do flex.... So i will let them try it out... if i have a problem i will go to Curt.

The problem was... I litterally get messages from random people saying if im running straight e85 only... or a flex fuel... and i answer flex... and they say "O its not a real flex"....

Appreciate all the confidence boosting... Off to go drop off the drag tires! Tuning for flex now and some more traction... I am going to be running 3-5 diff tunes at the end of the day, so if i couldn't run flex and had to run e85 tune... Im prepped for that as well.... With as long as this is taking I think I am almost prepared for everything!

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
I mean there’s not a sensor in the fuel line to check alcohol content like GM does so I guess some people think it’s less than safe to derive the alcohol % via O2 sensors but as long as u give it a few minutes to adjust after changing fuels. It seems to work just fine on my setup. You can check my post called Lil Hemi’s build where I’ve documented what I’ve done with my Jeep.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yea i have 1300 injectors.... triple fuel pumps... +24% fuel lobe cam... So i deff have the fuel there.... Tunetimeperformance is doing the tuning right now.... They said I can do flex.... So i will let them try it out... if i have a problem i will go to Curt.

The problem was... I litterally get messages from random people saying if im running straight e85 only... or a flex fuel... and i answer flex... and they say "O its not a real flex"....

Appreciate all the confidence boosting... Off to go drop off the drag tires! Tuning for flex now and some more traction... I am going to be running 3-5 diff tunes at the end of the day, so if i couldn't run flex and had to run e85 tune... Im prepped for that as well.... With as long as this is taking I think I am almost prepared for everything!

Going larger TB? Just saw gearhead has 106mm in stock.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going larger TB? Just saw gearhead has 106mm in stock.

I have 100mm throttle body on there right now from BBK... I had ordered the A2 speed 105 one back in may.... Still waiting on it... Now waiting on a check from them for my money back.... I will forward this to my shop and see if they care about the extra 5mm....

TYSM!!!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, in for the tests, reviews etc. Then the where to purchase!
Having one overnighted to me.... Will have 100mm BBK Throttle body for sale =D..

The truck made 830 at 21lbs of boost on e85... Ordered one more smaller pully, new tensioner, and have the 105mm throttle body en route... Since the maggy was designed for it figured just might as well go with it.

So hopefully make it to like 875, with the new pully and throttle body.... Got the nittos on her now... and taking her to atco friday for some numbers that matter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Having one overnighted to me.... Will have 100mm BBK Throttle body for sale =D..

The truck made 830 at 21lbs of boost on e85... Ordered one more smaller pully, new tensioner, and have the 105mm throttle body en route... Since the maggy was designed for it figured just might as well go with it.

So hopefully make it to like 875, with the new pully and throttle body.... Got the nittos on her now... and taking her to atco friday for some numbers that matter.
Man you don't play, you are on this like white on rice!
Congrats on some good numbers, I'm following your success closely as I'm still inbetween a thousand little mods or just bolt on a 2650.

You might have said this before but I couldn't find it, is this on a mustang dyno or dynojet?

Also do you mind sharing what size cog is on the maggy and what size smaller pulley you just ordered?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts