Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie with just under 1k miles on my 2018. I love the ride but curious if everyone else experiences this scenario. When driving around the city at normal speeds in auto mode it seems like the Trackhawk shifts into a gear to high or maybe locks the converter so that when you step on the gas a nomral amount it is lugging the engine. You can depress the accelerator hard to get out of it but the engine lugging seems like something is wrong to me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have you tried driving it around for 50-60 miles or so in Sport? In Auto, it can be a little lazy, unless you give it half+ throttle and then it will downshift. I drive around in Auto most of the time, and it shifts into 8th gear by 40mph. It seems perfectly content at 1500rpm or so (which might be considered lugging the engine), but I've gotten used to it.

If you don't want it upshifting into a really high gear, put it in Sport and drive it like that... no more lugging.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dial in the settings for your exact preferences.

I keep everything on track except for suspension which I leave on the softest mode.

This way, the engine and transmission respond lightning quick, but the ride quality remains good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm with black track on the custom setting, but I keep trans in sport not track, otherwise it holds pretty low gears and will have me cruising at 3k rpm.

Reactions: Quicksilver

·
Registered
412 Posts
My Custom Mode is trans in Track, Suspension in Auto, Steering in Sport. I'm either in this, or in Auto for cruising. I do _not_ take for granted that we can customize our driving experience for our needs/wants. Very good job by FCA.

Reactions: Quicksilver

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to have it start up in Custom mode or do you always have to select it? I made the changes and it is much better for normal city driving. Auto mode is fine for the highway.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is there a way to have it start up in Custom mode or do you always have to select it? I made the changes and it is much better for normal city driving. Auto mode is fine for the highway.
I haven't found a way to have custom (or any other mode) set as default on startup.

·
Banned
362 Posts
Never experienced any lugging but normal driving speeds for me starts at 70. Very rare for me to drive below 70 for more than a few miles at a time. (Nearest town to me is 15 miles away and it's less than 1000 people.) I do stop for the one flashing stop light in the center of town :smile2: but then it's back up to 70+ MPH.

·
Super Moderator
2,526 Posts
I heard that if u install the tazer/taser it will allow you to start in the same mode you left it in as well as allowing other features other than something like that, you’ve got to switch it each time you power up the vehicle

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am a newbie with just under 1k miles on my 2018. I love the ride but curious if everyone else experiences this scenario. When driving around the city at normal speeds in auto mode it seems like the Trackhawk shifts into a gear to high or maybe locks the converter so that when you step on the gas a nomral amount it is lugging the engine. You can depress the accelerator hard to get out of it but the engine lugging seems like something is wrong to me.
I felt the same when I started to drive my TrackHawk, I attribute it to the fly by wire throttle and the trani/ecu/program/mapping for the auto mode. Yes you can set your preferences in the custom mode and it makes it better but most of the times I forget to hit custom button before I drive off and I get that luggin feel and l get the “oh craps I forgot to hit the custom button” moment so I just installed a Sprint Booster throttle enhancer, it always stays on the same level every time I start the TrackHawk so now in auto mode (default on start up) now it feels like I’m driving in sport mode quick upshifts with minimal throttle input with the smooth ride the auto mode gives, no lugging and tracklike throttle response. Hope this helps, made a big difference for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the idea. I never heard of the Sprint Booster but interesting looking product. I wonder if this shows anywhere in the ECU where a dealer would know it is installed. I have an extended warranty I want to keep in place. Does the mode (number 9 track) stay in the same setting each time you turn the car on?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts