Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Track Hawk shakes violently at speeds over 85 mph. Does anyone else have this issue. How can a vehicle rated to go 200 not even make it to 100 without shaking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
perhaps you wheels have become out of balance? Not sure what weights are used on the TH. Mine is quite smooth at those speeds. Since in has ABS I assume you haven't had a major brake lockup causing flatspottingperhaps you wheels have become out of balance? Not sure what weights are used on the TH. Mine is quite smooth at those speeds. Since in has ABS I assume you haven't had a major brake lockup causing flatspotting

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would definitely check the wheel weights on the front wheels (they may be gone). The weights on my vehicle are mounted _so_ close to edge on the inside of the face of the wheel that they are probably 1mm from touching the brake caliper. Any interference with the brake caliper with the wheel rotating will certainly dislodge the wheel weights... and cause an imbalance. I can't guarantee that is your issue, but after the first wash of my TH two days ago, I am definitely fearful this could happen to me eventually.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like you need to visit your dealer's service department as something is not right. My TH rides and handles great at high speed. No shake at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my thought. Just my luck to get a 100k POS. I wanted feedback to see if this standard operating for TH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is everyone running P Zero run flat tires on their TrackHawks? I have a feeling this may be causing the shacking or dribbling like bouncing at high speed. I can't imagine a Z rated tire with a giant rubber donut around the rim, being stable at high speed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the factory Pirelli summer tires and it rides very smoothly...so long as suspension is on "street" and I avoid all the bumps & potholes.
Seriously, it rides smoothly for a performance SUV.

Sounds like you have a problem, and not just a engineering design quirk. Maybe a loose shock/strut mount? Or another suspension component?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, but it rides perfect at street & highway speeds up to 85. Under hard acceleration over 85 is where I have the problem. It actually was smoother when I put it in sport. I dread taking back to the dealer. They are such morons, I don't even trust them to change the oil.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Agreed on wanting to avoid the dealer!

That's very strange about your ride quality being OK until about 85 mph. I will be interested to learn what's causing that. Please let us know.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes, just double checked. "P ZERO Run Flat".

I've owned probably 8-9 cars with run flats, and other than a slightly harsher ride (due to the stiffer sidewall allowing them to run for a short distance without air pressure) they feel the same as conventional same-sized radials to me.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yours is not the norm. I had a '15 GC SRT with the Pirelli 3-season run flat summer tires that would do 120mph sustained with absolutely zero issues. I've had my TH for a few weeks, and had it up to 95 and it is very, very stable. My TH has the All-Season Pirelli run flats.

Sorry about your issue. Hopefully it is something not difficult for the dealer (ugh, I know) to diagnose.

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Let’s just say that I’ve hypothetically had it well into the triple digits, because driving over 65 mph would be breaking the law, and it’s smooth as butter. Just don’t drive it over 85 mph - problem solved. 😂

I hope you get it figured out, I can’t imagine how annoying that would be.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have similar stability issues at high speeds. It feels loose, like the backend is swaying and smushy. Been to (worthless) dealer twice, who said everything is fine. But, it was very far out of alignment. Going to switch the p-Zeros on my 16 SRT and rebalance to see if that’s the issue. Drove out of toe and camber for 1000+. Perfectly aligned now, nothing bent, but UNSTABLE as f*^k at higher speeds.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My rear driver’s side hub or bearing is shot. Just put it on the rack and the whole wheel shakes. The dealer sucks!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your stability issue. It is something that really needs diagnosis sooner than later. You do not want loss of control at any speed, but especially at higher speeds. I note several others making note of problems with dealer service departments. Not sure where everyone is located, but you really need to do a search and visit of multiple dealerships to find a good service department. Most areas have multiple dealers that are not that far away. I had the same problem. I wouldn't let the place I bought my TH from touch my vehicle. It was just the opposite with the Jeep dealer that is only 12 miles from home here in NH. The guys there are very attentive and patient in listening to a problem and then making a sincere effort the correct whatever it is, and I didn't buy my vehicle there. As frustrating as it is, take some time to seek out a Jeep dealer that has trained staff, a very motivated service manager and a parts department that goes the extra mile to find whatever they need. Take full advantage of your factory warranty, even if it means travelling a few extra miles to get the problem corrected. You might want to contact Jeep Customer Care to get a referral to a properly run service department. Our "specialty vehicles" should be getting "specialty treatment". Best of luck Wetboots.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"I got 99 problems but shaking at high speed ain't one". If it can go wrong with a TH I am sure it will happen soon enough for me. Dealer did say that my tires had uneven wear at 1000 miles.....I did have brand new struts put in as they were leaking off of the delivery truck. Oh and my CV joints are bad at 3900 miles. So bring it in. It may be a bigger issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts