Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
229 Posts
Little outdated but it still shows they are WELL over 2500 for the 2018 model.

Total builds - Global production totals as of 05/18/2018:

Total Built: 6,169

Total Built Canada: 664 (included in total built)
Total Built RHD Export: 242 (included in total built)

· Super Moderator
229 Posts
They probably should’ve built less Trackhawk’s and more Demon’s. FCA wouldn’t be losing out on all of the premium being paid for the Demon’s if they built a few more, and the Trackhawk’s wouldn’t be selling for under dealer invoice if they didn’t over produce these. Maybe a limited run of 5k each would’ve been far more profitable while still building the same numbers of total vehicles. I think they messed up by not making the Trackhawk limited to a specific number out of the gate, even if it was the projected number that they thought they could sell without a limit on them, since that ‘limited’ moniker would help sell them. Dealers wouldn’t be willing to simply break even to get these off of their lots. Just my two cents.
FCA makes the same amount on the TrackHawks either way. The more they build, the more money they make and the TrackHawk has a MUCH larger profit than any other Grand Cherokee.

Every one they have made is sold, at least to the dealer anyway. Now if the dealer over ordered and has to sell them low, that's on the dealer. It might effect 2019 sales if the dealers are a little more reluctant to order so many though.

Not saying FCA couldn't have kept it as a halo model as they did the Demon as a marketing tactic, no idea if that would have been a good idea or bad idea long term. Obviously would have been good for the buyers who obtained them as said above, it would help re-sell, but short term, they saw lots of $$$$s so they went for it.

Personally, if they had limited it to 5000 or less, I wouldn't have one. I wasn't ready to purchase at that time. I also doubt I would have waited for 2019 model year either, I would have likely spent my money elsewhere. So for myself, I am very glad they were NOT limited as I know I am happier with the TH than I would have been with other options, but I do think my money would have went to a competitor had I not been able to order one when I did.

· Super Moderator
229 Posts
Out of warranty would be 8 plus years since they sell 8 year extended warranties. We’ll probably all have moved on to the next best thing by then. They probably don’t need to keep these parts available beyond that 8 year time limit, though they probably will if I were to guess. I really doubt parts for these will be unavailable or very difficult to get in 4-5 years.
Parts that were specific to the 2008 Magnum SRT or my SRT6 crossfire were hard to get just 2-3 years after production. Thankfully on either of those the mechanical bits were shared with other vehicles.

It really just depends on how well the bean counters do at estimating failures and who supplies the parts. For many parts, the manufacturer will make a final purchase of the part when production ends. They will estimate how many they will need based on expected failure rates, part cost, part size (how much warehouse space will it take up) and number of vehicles produced.

Often, especially for low volume products, they round down, simply figuring that having to buy back a couple might be less costly than over ordering and the parts sitting on shelves.

But yes it goes both ways, I have bought OEM parts for insanely cheap, many years after a product left the assembly line because the manufacturer OVER ordered, but I have also personally seen it go the other direction as well.

· Super Moderator
229 Posts
I had 1992 GMC Typhoon....
Awesome! That was my dream truck for years, well that and its brother the Syclone, could never make up my mind which I wanted more...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.