Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I have a "simple goal" of 700whp without tuning or upper pulley, is it possible? Also prefer to not do anything to the exhaust besides mid pipes. I know the below list of parts will only net me around 650-660whp. Any other bolt on parts you guys would suggest to meet my goal?

Current parts installed or about to be...

AFE Carbon Intake
S&W Mid Pipes
Ripatuned Incognito Lower Pulley
UPR Dual Catch Can Setup
CFM Valve Cover Breather

·
Registered
500 Posts
Great question! Mine is stock and I'm interested in that same thing.

I live in CA, so I don't care to do anything that throws a code or affects the tailpipe emissions.

Reactions: GraniteHawk

·
Registered
263 Posts
Current parts installed or about to be...

AFE Carbon Intake
S&W Mid Pipes
Ripatuned Incognito Lower Pulley
UPR Dual Catch Can Setup
CFM Valve Cover Breather
This sounds like a great start. I hope you reach your goals. What elevation are you?

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you went to a 3" cat back exhaust over the stock 2.75", it would open things up enough to get about 20 whp. The incognito pulley and intake will add another 50-60 whp without a tune. I am in the same boat and I believe with what I stated above, you should be able to get over 700 whp.

I know you mentioned no tune, but if you add in a tune that should gain another 40-50 whp and if you change injectors and go e85, it should yield another 40 whp. All this should get you to near 800 whp if you chose to go that route.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you went to a 3" cat back exhaust over the stock 2.75", it would open things up enough to get about 20 whp. The incognito pulley and intake will add another 50-60 whp without a tune. I am in the same boat and I believe with what I stated above, you should be able to get over 700 whp.

I know you mentioned no tune, but if you add in a tune that should gain another 40-50 whp and if you change injectors and go e85, it should yield another 40 whp. All this should get you to near 800 whp if you chose to go that route.

1/4" of exhaust piping would result in around 20whp? I feel the suitcase muffler is more restrictive than the cat back exhaust. I'm about to do mid pipes but it's hard for me to want to do any other exhaust mods at the moment as the truck will start to get loud. I love the way our TH sound with exhaust but that's just not the route I want to go at the moment.

My buddy is a tech at Jeep so that definitely helps me out. But I would prefer to attempt to keep the warranty as long as possible & stay away from the ECU. My old Evo was on e85 so I definitely know the benefits of them. If & when I get to the point with the TH, I will definitely do upper pulley, injectors, e85, tune. But for now ECU is still stock.

I took advantage of some Labor Day sales & picked up Eibach springs, rear sway bar, front diff brace, rear diff brace & Bwoody suspension arm package.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great question! Mine is stock and I'm interested in that same thing.

I live in CA, so I don't care to do anything that throws a code or affects the tailpipe emissions.
nothing to contribute... just voicing a pet peeve of mine.

I can’t do much but to laugh at the idiot CA lawmakers who continue to push the CARB bull$hit will all of the fires burning around the west coast and ‘spewing’ billions of tons of CO2.

·
Registered
201 Posts
1/4" of exhaust piping would result in around 20whp? I feel the suitcase muffler is more restrictive than the cat back exhaust. I'm about to do mid pipes but it's hard for me to want to do any other exhaust mods at the moment as the truck will start to get loud. I love the way our TH sound with exhaust but that's just not the route I want to go at the moment.

My buddy is a tech at Jeep so that definitely helps me out. But I would prefer to attempt to keep the warranty as long as possible & stay away from the ECU. My old Evo was on e85 so I definitely know the benefits of them. If & when I get to the point with the TH, I will definitely do upper pulley, injectors, e85, tune. But for now ECU is still stock.

I took advantage of some Labor Day sales & picked up Eibach springs, rear sway bar, front diff brace, rear diff brace & Bwoody suspension arm package.
That's what I was getting at with going with a full cat back. Ditching the suitcase and opening up the exhaust further from 2.75" to 3" should net about 20 whp. Just ditching the suitcase and staying with the more restrictive 2.75" would more than likely yield less gains, maybe 10 whp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went all-in with Ripatuned RT 850+ E85 package but before I did, I was running the Icognito, AFE intake, Billet Tech catch can and suitcase delete with Vibrant resonators. I also played with a TDI-tuning piggyback tuner. With that combination I ran a best run on my vbox of 2.9s 0-60 mph and 0-100 mph in 6.9s and a GPS 1/4 mile of 10.9 @ 125 mph in less than ideal weather but down a slight decline. In order to produce those #s I had to be above 700whp especially since the temps were 80 deg and humid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm skeptical with any gains with changing the exhaust. I see a lot of numbers being thrown around but I also notice that manufacturers are not talking about the gains. If tuners aren't noticing gains from headers without major mods, it makes me more skeptical that a catback doesn't anything other than sound. If our shorty headers aren't hurting our numbers than I doubt theres a bottleneck behind them. I'd love to hear from someone that dynoed a before and after catback addition.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm skeptical with any gains with changing the exhaust. I see a lot of numbers being thrown around but I also notice that manufacturers are not talking about the gains. If tuners aren't noticing gains from headers without major mods, it makes me more skeptical that a catback doesn't anything other than sound. If our shorty headers aren't hurting our numbers than I doubt theres a bottleneck behind them. I'd love to hear from someone that dynoed a before and after catback addition.
I get the skepticism. But I am not big on dyno numbers. It is hard to replicate the airflow the engine will see at speed. For me I look at my GPS based 1/4 mile trap speeds to compare. I try to test in similar ambient conditions and the same stretch of road (private of course) when possible but also note the DA. For Instance I saw a 2+mph improvement in 1/4 mile trap speed after the icognito...but the weather conditions were 3K’+ DA worse on the icognito run.

·
Registered
201 Posts
AWE shows gains of 12 whp with their cat back, but whose to say what DA they were in. I'd say at near sea level, cat back gains alone with a good 3" or larger design should yield 20 whp. The suitcase is very restrictive.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I pretty much knew that but it's just interesting to hear some possible different routes people have gone for power before tuning.
The only option to increase psi and not tune is the incognito lower right now.

Long tubes/ exhaust/CAI/etc ... relatively unproven to show a verifiable increase in hp on a stock psi engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know you said no exhaust, but I believe you can install headers with engine in. But a little PITA. Kooks with Jet-Hot Ceramic, not cheap but fairly impressed
I thought about doing headers for probably 15 mins, haha. But if I wanted to leave the stock cat back exhaust on that would kind of defeat the purpose. Plus the cost of headers + install, the dollar to hp gained would probably be pretty poor. Only 2 restrictions in our stock exhaust are the cats & suitcase muffler. I think everything else probably flows pretty damn well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I thought about doing headers for probably 15 mins, haha. But if I wanted to leave the stock cat back exhaust on that would kind of defeat the purpose. Plus the cost of headers + install, the dollar to hp gained would probably be pretty poor. Only 2 restrictions in our stock exhaust are the cats & suitcase muffler. I think everything else probably flows pretty damn well.
It does, the oem shorty headers going all the way back to even the 6.1’s have been able to flow big HP.

The cats really only become the problem when you start throwing fuel at your setup. I wouldn’t even call them restrictive, but they can become a problem as you up the HP and psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts