Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
DBA hats don't look like they have any spring clips from picture above, like the trackhawk hats. Just mentioned that a washer may be needed??
The picture that I have is like 'general' installation instructions, they're not exact to Trackhawk. To be completely honest, no instructions was included with my DBA full set. NONE. I found these instructions from Hellcat forum (Two piece rotor torque specs question) because I couldn't find anything on DBA website. Can someone else look thru DBA website and see if they see any instructions for TH.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just don't see any other way of installing the rings to the rotors using OEM hardware. Either

A. Longer bolts are needed
OR
B. Smaller nuts are needed, so that threads are visible and the top of the nut can bite into the bolt.

Automotive lighting Body jewelry Liquid Fluid Silver

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well, wrong nuts were supplied with my rotors. I should have received 'Crimped Nuts', not the nuts that I currently have. Package says so and their catalog says so as well. So someone down the line messed up before reaching me. See catalog attached bottom of page 6. I have no clue what kind of nuts I have, but they're not 'crimp nuts'

Font Rectangle Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
328 Posts
Well, wrong nuts were supplied with my rotors. I should have received 'Crimped Nuts', not the nuts that I currently have. Package says so and their catalog says so as well. So someone down the line messed up before reaching me. See catalog attached bottom of page 6. I have no clue what kind of nuts I have, but they're not 'crimp nuts'

View attachment 10904
That's the same nuts I received with my order, I will look at catalog

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ah ok. Looks like they sent Nyloc nuts by accident.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So that perhaps means that they have a whole host of product out there with the wrong nuts?
Great.

Hopefully they send you replacement nuts for these?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ah ok. Looks like they sent Nyloc nuts by accident.
The ones I got are not Nyloc nuts, there is no plastic at the top of the nuts they sent me. It has metal plate that bites into the bolt when you tighten it. I don't believe you can put Nyloc nuts here as the heat would probably melt them under the brakes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So that everyone understand the difference. On the left is what they sent me. 'Self locking' nuts. I should have got the one on the far right. Either one will work (with thread locker) HOWEVER Self Locking nuts are too long and has no visible thread to bite into when fully tightened as my pictures show.

Photograph Light Product Automotive lighting Natural material

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is just crazy that there are no instruction for the new replacement rotors and you have to search for what we think might be universal installation of rotors. I have searched DBA site and can not find any technical information on these new OEM rotors 53918.1S. I can guarantee you that the clips from old hats must be used in the insatllation of DBA rotors, with the warning old nuts should not be reused. Very poor customer service to not supply proper nut or bolt that is longer to give extra 2 threads that does not even pertain to OEM hats that are being reused vs instruction for DBA hats. They should understand we are not working on cheap vehicles and would like to have proper installation instructions to cover our own butts. Nothing like a rotor coming loose going down the highway or worse. Zar_Trackhawk hope you get some kind of response from DBA to settle this issue. Probably going to contact my seller, but he couldn't even find minimum thickness for rotors I was buying. Never seen the type of self locking sent with rotors, have seen crimped nuts in many sizes and the locking nuts that are rounded on top with crimps. But I do agree if no answers are ever given just use loctite and who ever is the first person to have failure start class action for settlement.

Reactions: PBGas

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This is just crazy that there are no instruction for the new replacement rotors and you have to search for what we think might be universal installation of rotors. I have searched DBA site and can not find any technical information on these new OEM rotors 53918.1S. I can guarantee you that the clips from old hats must be used in the insatllation of DBA rotors, with the warning old nuts should not be reused. Very poor customer service to not supply proper nut or bolt that is longer to give extra 2 threads that does not even pertain to OEM hats that are being reused vs instruction for DBA hats. They should understand we are not working on cheap vehicles and would like to have proper installation instructions to cover our own butts. Nothing like a rotor coming loose going down the highway or worse. Zar_Trackhawk hope you get some kind of response from DBA to settle this issue. Probably going to contact my seller, but he couldn't even find minimum thickness for rotors I was buying. Never seen the type of self locking sent with rotors, have seen crimped nuts in many sizes and the locking nuts that are rounded on top with crimps. But I do agree if no answers are ever given just use loctite and who ever is the first person to have failure start class action for settlement.
Agree 100%. They might've not included any instruction because they think we will go to reputable shops to get this installed and that is partially true. Ok, I understand that, but nothing on their website is a little worrying to me.

So I bought mine from Solis Racing Group, awesome customer service and he go it from DBA, he ordered the whole pallet of them. So he was understandable and apologetic to me. He mentioned in the email that he's checking all his inventory regarding this and said he contacted DBA and has not responded yet. Me contacting DBA directly would not solve anything as they would not have any idea who I am.

I got brakes installed, I did use OEM nuts, they're still fine, however next time I would not use them, as they would probably be completely useless and have less effect on locking to the bolt,since they are crimped and the more to take it on and off, the less effective they are. So, me personally you can still reuse old oem nuts with thread locked, but I wouldn't use it again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Are the OEM crimp nuts serrated on the flange or flat, and are they stainless steel or black steel

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
OEM nuts are crimped from both sides (squeeze from both sides). I believe at the top, the image shows where they squeeze it, you can see the little imprint. OEM nuts are not steel, they very light, I really didn't pay attention to them. They're not steel I can say that much otherwise they would rust.

Peripheral Table Input device Camera accessory Output device

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks, probably stainless so they don't rust. Just thought I would shop around for some crimp nuts with flange to have whenever I change mine out. I sent message to the place I bought my rings from but have not heard anything back yet. You are going to post whatever you hear from Solis.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks, probably stainless so they don't rust. Just thought I would shop around for some crimp nuts with flange to have whenever I change mine out. I sent message to the place I bought my rings from but have not heard anything back yet. You are going to post whatever you hear from Solis.
I did let Solis know about this, but I'm not too concerned about it, I used the oem nuts, I can't have my car on jacks waiting weeks for new nuts. Already drove couple of miles to bed in the pads, no issues so far.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts