Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed puffs of smoke when they first start their Trackhawk engine?

Mine will belch out a light grayish cloud every so often. Its enough smoke that its noticeable from 100 ft away when I use the auto start key fob button. Just one big belch and then no more smoke. Its reminiscent of a car with bad valve guides, or guide seals. I cant seem to notice any consistencies about when it does it. It's just random. Some times its cold, sometimes hot. and not all the time. It starts clean alot more often than when it starts with a puff.

Engine has 7 k. Oil and filter changed twice already at the dealer at 2k, and 4200. Going in for another oil change next week. Just got back from a 2500 mile road trip and the Trackhauk ran great the entire time. In fact it has run great since day one.

This thing does use oil to. It will use about a half quart in 1500 to 2000 miles. On my 2500 mile road trip it used a full quart. That was all 75-80 mph though. That oil usage doesn't really surprise me with a supercharged engine. And with as much as I do change and will change oil I can deal with that as long as it doesn't get worse. I dont think that is tired into the occasional cloud because that cloud does NOT look or smell like oil.

Ideas? answers? anyone?

Thanks much

·
Registered
212 Posts
Probably just moisture.... Remember when things get real hot and cool down... condensation forms.... so a little moisture is involved... and the second part is the car runs real rich at start... and some unburden fuel...

I could be wrong... I came to this threat thinking it was about smoking and drinking other things..... Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
Lol, ^^this guy^^^
I saw another post about blue smoke a while back, try searching that and see what he wound up doing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep 2200kms and gone thru 1.3L of oil. I took it back to the dealer. They took covers off for inspection of Valve Stem Seals. Waiting full report.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts