Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has found a rim and tire size that can be bought for use as a spare, that fits all four corners and still fits in the spare wheel well under the rear floor? I have a donut spare, but after just needing it in west TX where i was 240 miles from the nearest gas station and having it die on me at 2am still 50 miles away, i do not want another donut. I would prefer something more substantial to get me home on. I appreciate your help.

Scott

·
Registered
370 Posts
Used ones seem to be available on Ebay from time to time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, my donut is also a 195/70-20. I cannot find a single real tire in that size and when I spoke to Jeep, they only recommend 50-70 miles at a max of 55mph on one. They were not surprised I blew it after 200 miles of 55mph. I get it’s good for local, just as the ty flats are, but if you are in the middle of nowhere, like you can easily be here in the southwest, neither are good enough.

I have found tires (255/50-20) that the height are like stock and would fit in the spare hole, but need to find a 7-8” rim for it that will fit the corners. I have no idea on the offsets that would be required, hence the question here.

·
Registered
370 Posts
5x5/127 lug pattern, 35 MM offset. Clearing the front caliper is a challenge, not sure of the inner diameter for that.

Reactions: NJTHMike

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
209 Posts
Yes, my donut is also a 195/70-20. I cannot find a single real tire in that size and when I spoke to Jeep, they only recommend 50-70 miles at a max of 55mph on one. They were not surprised I blew it after 200 miles of 55mph. I get it’s good for local, just as the ty flats are, but if you are in the middle of nowhere, like you can easily be here in the southwest, neither are good enough.

I have found tires (255/50-20) that the height are like stock and would fit in the spare hole, but need to find a 7-8” rim for it that will fit the corners. I have no idea on the offsets that would be required, hence the question here.
You can probably find a wheel to fit rear much easier than the front(this is the problem area) have to use rear tire on front if you had to, then put spare 255/50-20 on rear. I have a complete OEM wheel & tire to carry if I was hauling a trailer otherwise would use factory spare. Could you mount 255/50-20 on spare wheel????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks 30bird on the offset for me to look into.

ivory, Yes, even if I have to swap wheels around and only use spare on rear, that’s way better than the spare donut. And maybe I will take the donut spare to discount tire and just ask them if the 255 would fit.

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
90 Posts
You could find the biggest wheel setup to fit the spare tire location, and just use a wheel spacer for the front to make it fit. You should have enough room to keep a spacer and some lug nuts inside the spare tire compartment.

you might need a spacer for the rear also

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
90 Posts
Pirelli spare tire. In the UK the tire has 81mph speed limit. Not sure about max distance

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
209 Posts
You could find the biggest wheel setup to fit the spare tire location, and just use a wheel spacer for the front to make it fit. You should have enough room to keep a spacer and some lug nuts inside the spare tire compartment.

you might need a spacer for the rear also
Yea their used to be a company In Arizona that made spare tire kits for my 2014 Chrysler 300 SRT that used a wheel spacer and either a donut tire or regular tire but was still only for limited use. My 300 wasn't available with spare at all, just Mopar compressor with tire sealant, which can be purchased for under $100, just won't work if you have a blow out.

Reactions: Purevil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get Run-flat tires on all 4 corners and you won't need spare tire. Just an idea. Problem is that they are expensive.
I do already and the issue is that run flats are only good for a short distance and no good out away from cities...nor is a doughnut for that matter, as I found out. (See first post)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has found a rim and tire size that can be bought for use as a spare, that fits all four corners and still fits in the spare wheel well under the rear floor? I have a donut spare, but after just needing it in west TX where i was 240 miles from the nearest gas station and having it die on me at 2am still 50 miles away, i do not want another donut. I would prefer something more substantial to get me home on. I appreciate your help.
To the OP point...I live in the Arizona Valley so any drive outside the Valley limits you are basically in the middle of no where...do not feel like waiting 4 hrs on the side of the road for AAA at that point.

I currently do not have a spare as my Hawk does not have the towing package. However, I spoke to another Hawk owner at a CnC a while back who said he just bought another Trackhawk full size wheel/tire and he says it fits in the spare wheel compartment but sticks up a little so the cargo mat does not fit flush...but he said for trips out of the Valley he did not want o get caught without a spare to get him home and had no interest in a donut spare. I have not seen him or spoken to him since.

So my question is has anyone else on this forum tried that or is currently employing this method...if so could you share "Pros & Cons" and show how it fits in the cargo area? Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To the OP point...I live in the Arizona Valley so any drive outside the Valley limits you are basically in the middle of no where...do not feel like waiting 4 hrs on the side of the road for AAA at that point.

I currently do not have a spare as my Hawk does not have the towing package. However, I spoke to another Hawk owner at a CnC a while back who said he just bought another Trackhawk full size wheel/tire and he says it fits in the spare wheel compartment but sticks up a little so the cargo mat does not fit flush...but he said for trips out of the Valley he did not want o get caught without a spare to get him home and had no interest in a donut spare. I have not seen him or spoken to him since.

So my question is has anyone else on this forum tried that or is currently employing this method...if so could you share "Pros & Cons" and show how it fits in the cargo area? Thanks.
So I had to put the blown out tire in the spare area when I had my blowout that started this thread and it stuck up a good 2 inches. The floor was so off that our luggage almost didn’t fit back in, the floor cover got cracked from it, so I wouldn’t want to do that often. An 8” wide rim would do so much better, if I can just find an 8x18 or 8x20 rim with a offset to fit rear area and a tire with a similar diameter of the rest, all would be good. I have not gave up, I will prevail!

·
Registered
13 Posts
So anyone come up with a solution to this? I also would like a real spare even it it only fits on the rear.
would a real 255/50 tire fit on the spare rim?

·
Registered
182 Posts
So anyone come up with a solution to this? I also would like a real spare even it it only fits on the rear.
would a real 255/50 tire fit on the spare rim?
Has anyone tried to take off one wheel off the car (STOCK wheel\tire) and put it in the spare tire location to see if it fits there? Surely it has to, right.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts