Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
As mentioned my goal is to have a real spare. Not a temporary POS. I will get there.

Here is what I think I know so far

The full size 295/45-20 stock tire will not fit in the spare tire compartment. That is and be able to have the cover close flush.
It will fit but the cover will be up an inch or so. Some have attached 1x1 wood to the bottom of the cover and made it work.

The Grand Cherokee full size real spare is a 245/65-18. Perfect size for us but will only fit the rear. That is fine with me as I would not put a spare on the front anyway. This may be the best option. Would have to prove fitment for sure.

I do have the tow package. With that I have the POS temp spare on a 20" wheel. I am looking at mounting a real tire on that rim. The options are a 265/50-20 or a 235/55-20. I am not sure the 265 with fit in the compartment or the wheel.
For one the spare wheel I believe is only 6" wide. Will have to confirm that. The 235/55-20 looks promising and should fit with the narrow wheel. The 235/55-20 is also available in the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season.

I will be going to my local tire store and see if they have any ideas. Also if they have the 265/50 or 235/55 tires in stock and I can test fit them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OK, so I tried to fit full size (see pics) It will fit, however the lid will not close, you're about 1 1/2" - 2" too tall. Original size 10" wide wheel, SO if you get 8" wide with 20" rims you should be good, and you can even put those plastic holders with it as well. You need 8" wide or less.

For 8" wide wheels, these are the tires you can put, however you need same size as the original, because this is AWD car and you don't want to mess up it's drivetrain.
Font Electric blue Automotive exterior Rectangle Logo

***Compared to ORIGINAL spare, which makes sense. However won't fit Trackhawk calipers I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know this as I don't have the original spare to compare to)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product

***If you want FULL size spare to fit front calipers, you will need similar to this below. This will be very close very very close, I think you can get away with it until you get your original tire fixed.
Only .1" difference.

8" rim wide
20" rim size
Same offset as original

265/50-20 OR 245/55-20

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Automotive tire Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey

·
Registered
182 Posts
All in all, you need this

Wheel
8" wide
20" size
+50 offset

Tire
265/50-20 OR 245/55-20

***Just be careful some brand of tires are wider than others, even tho they are the same size.

·
Super Moderator
2,393 Posts
I thought the OP already had tested this earlier in the post. If you stay tuned to fb, you can pick up a spare tire kit that properly fits. The spare only comes with the tow package but you can always buy it separately.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I thought the OP already had tested this earlier in the post. If you stay tuned to fb, you can pick up a spare tire kit that properly fits. The spare only comes with the tow package but you can always buy it separately.
Yeah, but he want an actual wheel\tire, not a spare that you go 50mph max.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I went to my local tire shop today. We test fitted a couple of tires in the compartment.

I wanted to know if a 265/50-20 would fit. Unfortunately it does not fit perfectly. And this is just a tire without a rim and air. It was close but about 1/4-3/8 or so too big for the cover to close. Maybe could have forced it. Thats too bad as the 265/50-20 is a perfect fit for the TH.

For me its down to a couple of options. The GC spare at 245/65-18 or the 265/50-20. I could not find a 245/55-20 tire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay so I purchased a GC steel wheel spare. I have read in multiple places this would fit the rear only and it is a real spare.
This is the 18x8 inch steel wheel with 245/65-18 tire from Mopar. I thought this would be a perfect fit. Same OD as the 295/45-20, a real tire, same load rating and will fit in the spare well. The seller also confirmed it would fit the TH but only on the rear.

Total fail. The GC steel wheel with the 245/65-18 did not fit on my 2020 TH. The wheel hits the caliper.

The seller has been great so far and said they would accept a return.

I am not giving up. I really want a real spare for this thing. Looking at other options.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Gas Astronomical object Circle Space Auto part
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas Astronomical object Circle Space Auto part

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I went to my local tire shop today. We test fitted a couple of tires in the compartment.

I wanted to know if a 265/50-20 would fit. Unfortunately it does not fit perfectly. And this is just a tire without a rim and air. It was close but about 1/4-3/8 or so too big for the cover to close. Maybe could have forced it. Thats too bad as the 265/50-20 is a perfect fit for the TH.

For me its down to a couple of options. The GC spare at 245/65-18 or the 265/50-20. I could not find a 245/55-20 tire.
Just spotted them on eBay 245/55-20

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
209 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
It won't fit 6.5. See link below.

View attachment 9673

Thanks for all your research. I was thinking the 6 inch rim would be too small. The ebay tire also only has a 107 load rating. In all am going to pass on this one.

I am going the 245/65-18 route. I found a Trackhawk replica wheel in 18x8 +40. This should work well and fit in the compartment.

I will report back when I have everything test fitted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for all your research. I was thinking the 6 inch rim would be too small. The ebay tire also only has a 107 load rating. In all am going to pass on this one.

I am going the 245/65-18 route. I found a Trackhawk replica wheel in 18x8 +40. This should work well and fit in the compartment.

I will report back when I have everything test fitted.
Np, if you think 245/65-18 will fit the front calipers than by all mean.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts