Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. What kind of spark plugs come stock with this truck? and if you were doing a small build on your car what plugs would you use?

On Monday my truck goes in for a small engine build. Metco 10% over lower pulley with IDX 1050x injectors, I have a cold air intake ( Bwoody ), and will add a 180 stat. Car will be custom tuned and dyno'd. I was told that they just did this small build on 2 other trackhawks and got 697 to the wheel on a 100 degree day, My tune shop said they did not change the spark plugs. They said the ones they use are adequate for the application and it was strictly optional at this point, but if they did do them they would go with BRISK ( $15.00 each and I think I need 16 plugs). Is it really worth changing them now? and if so what other plugs are an option or is Brisk simply the best?

The 2 others that have done this same work have had no complaints.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just a quick question. What kind of spark plugs come stock with this truck? and if you were doing a small build on your car what plugs would you use?

On Monday my truck goes in for a small engine build. Metco 10% over lower pulley with IDX 1050x injectors, I have a cold air intake ( Bwoody ), and will add a 180 stat. Car will be custom tuned and dyno'd. I was told that they just did this small build on 2 other trackhawks and got 697 to the wheel on a 100 degree day, My tune shop said they did not change the spark plugs. They said the ones they use are adequate for the application and it was strictly optional at this point, but if they did do them they would go with BRISK ( $15.00 each and I think I need 16 plugs). Is it really worth changing them now? and if so what other plugs are an option or is Brisk simply the best?

The 2 others that have done this same work have had no complaints.

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the TH yet, but on my 1000+ whp S2000 I run NGK BKRE8ix iridium plugs gapped at .018" with zero issues. May end up moving to a 9 plug though, not sure yet since it runs e85. Whatever you do, stay away from non-resistor copper plugs that can cause electrical issues from what I have hear.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
all my cars that upgraded plugs were NGKs. the tuner will be the best person to ask if plugs are needed. just my thoughts but if injectors are needed I would think plugs also. but I am no expert in that area I just know plugs are super important. If you dont know judge on the side of error and be safe get plugs. so you spend 200 bucks more who cares? can you image if something went wrong over some plugs? you would be pissed.
anyways ask the tuner hes knows best

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tuner said it was not necessary. Im buying them anyway at this point another $200 is a drop in the hat. The 2 Hawks done before mine did not get the plugs and had no issues but whatever. ok case closed, I will report back on Wednesday next week with how it all went.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you are adding 100-200hp over oem, you go with one step colder plug. That’s the general rule anyway

Assuming you stick within the design as the oem, that’s the important part of the plug when adding power. The wrong temperature plug will cause unintended denotation.

A 2.75+ upper or 10% lower by itself, oem plugs should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are adding 100-200hp over oem, you go with one step colder plug. That’s the general rule anyway

Assuming you stick within the design as the oem, that’s the important part of the plug when adding power. The wrong temperature plug will cause unintended denotation.

A 2.75+ upper or 10% lower by itself, oem plugs should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So Im doing 10% Lower alone, if I went with an upper what size should it be? and I assume plugs at that time. what is the benefit to doing the upper with the lower. Im asking this because while im there its not much more to add the upper and im already paying for the dyno time and the custom tune. Please advise on this.

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
I’m no expert, that’s ur tuners job. Im just regurgitating what I’ve learned. You might have altitude issues, octane problems or something else I’m not even considering. It’s a giant leap of faith to trust someone to fiddle with your warrantied fast mobile. It’s really bad when it doesn’t work out, I had a similar experience when I built my pool and they just left me hanging. There’s no recourse, no getting ur stuff fixed for free. I had the blower off mine and was super excited about what was about to happen n then another member posted their grenaded piston n unusable block. ��🤢🤮. I was a mess until I fired up and drove it.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
So Im doing 10% Lower alone, if I went with an upper what size should it be? and I assume plugs at that time. what is the benefit to doing the upper with the lower. Im asking this because while im there its not much more to add the upper and im already paying for the dyno time and the custom tune. Please advise on this.
In my many past experiences I always ended up paying for the same thing over and over as I always wanted faster. Me I would go with the upper right now as that will not add very much money to the bill but if you do it later it will cost a lot more. pretty much paying for all the BS again just to add the upper later.
but that is just me and I already been down this road 5000 times I know I always want more. you may be fine with the HP you get from lower only?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so my tuner said that by adding the upper pulley with the lower it will raise the intake air temps and would not really help all that much. I said if anything else go with the meth kit which would give another 60/70 hp. I guess the boost is significant with the upper and the lower. takes it to like 16 or 17. My set up will give 3psi in boost gain.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
Ok so my tuner said that by adding the upper pulley with the lower it will raise the intake air temps and would not really help all that much. I said if anything else go with the meth kit which would give another 60/70 hp. I guess the boost is significant with the upper and the lower. takes it to like 16 or 17. My set up will give 3psi in boost gain.
who is your tuner? I might be stretching this a hair but I would guess just about everyone here has upper and lower (that is modded of coarse) intake temps will go up I have over pulled a car before and it made crazy power half way down the track then fell on its face ( that was experimenting on AMG) . but saying that many guys have used the 2.85 with zero problems. I would have that also but I have 91 OCT gas so had to use the 3.05 zero issues here with heat also. I did buy the Interchiller though but thats just cuz I am never happy always want more. you can go on the hell cat form also and see the millions of HC running both with zero issues. https://www.hellcat.org/

I feel like every post you make is a question and I am trying to talk you into something. LOL honestly go research this more. dont ask question just read and read and read some more you will learn more that way for sure. I would also look into your tuner a bit more just to be sure. tuner is by far the most important part of this puzzle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be clear, I am learning as I go, I am not asking you to sell me into anything. I am simply trying to educate myself from those who have done this and want to not waste $$ on nonsense. By understanding what others have done and why they did it assists me in my decision making for what is best. I have never owned a vehicle with a motor that is as dynamic as this one. My plan was to maximize my appointment on Monday to only do this once rather then pay for the same thing ( tunes and labor ) twice.

Regardless im not taking your above comment in a negative way, this forum has taught me far more then I ever expected and I am simply grateful for having this aid in my silly little build.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
thats good it wasn't meant to be negative. I felt like I was a salesmen or something (not neg to you neg to me) when I just want to help you not make the same mistakes I have made over the many many cars. I know you are learning I get it and asking questions is good but after you have an idea where you are going. you will get to many opinions. you can sort thru all those opinions as you read other threads and make your own opinion then ask on that exact thing.

I still think you should read up on the upper pulley there is no issues with them and excessive heat like your tuner is suggesting. Has he tuned a Hell Cat or Track Hawk before with both pulleys?
If you go get your TH built monday nothing bad will happen. you might love it as is? if you are like me you will end up doing the upper pulley later and maybe more? thats a personal choice and preference. many think stock is fine and we are stupid for wanting more power lol we are not stupid just different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts