Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I went to the track and ran the 1/4 mile I noticed a squeaking sound that happens on a hard shift, when shifting going up a hill (I drive with the trans in track always) this squeak sounds like a chimp monk or chirp of sorts. Its definitely on the shift and never any other time. Is it my tranny making this noise? a belt, transfer case? Any thoughts on how to determine what it could be. I do not notice any performance loss but want to make sure that this does not lead to a greater issue.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That would be a supercharger belt (chirp) sound when the belt slips on the upper pulley. Typical when you are in track mode and the transmission shifts at a higher rpm and shifts much quicker than when running in sport or auto mode. Can also happen more often with pulley changes that spin the supercharger faster or aftermarket transmission tunes that shift quicker (firmer).

Try once driving in auto mode and likely it will not happen then you know for sure.

Annoying but nothing to worry about honestly. How old (miles) is that supercharger belt?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be a supercharger belt (chirp) sound when the belt slips on the upper pulley. Typical when you are in track mode and the transmission shifts at a higher rpm and shifts much quicker than when running in sport or auto mode. Can also happen more often with pulley changes that spin the supercharger faster or aftermarket transmission tunes that shift quicker (firmer).

Try once driving in auto mode and likely it will not happen then you know for sure.

Annoying but nothing to worry about honestly. How old (miles) is that supercharger belt?
I’ll try that on my ride to work tomorrow. I think your correct that it’s the pulley belt. Belt has about 12k miles on it. I have a new belt as a spare in the event I ever need it. Should I have it tightened? Replaced?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’ll try that on my ride to work tomorrow. I think your correct that it’s the pulley belt. Belt has about 12k miles on it. I have a new belt as a spare in the event I ever need it. Should I have it tightened? Replaced?
Have a look just behind the supercharger tensioner pulley and see if you have some black belt dust built up on the motor. It is very common to see, so don't be surprised, but belt dust buildup is evidence of it slipping during shifts on the supercharger snout pulley.

Nothing to tighten really and all should be good as long as the S/C belt tensioner is within it's travel limits.

The belts live a hard life and live in a hot environment so it's not surprising that they will age/wear and have less grip over time. I would think once they start to harden and possibly glaze over they may squeek more than if using a new belt.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Have a look just behind the supercharger tensioner pulley and see if you have some black belt dust built up on the motor. It is very common to see, so don't be surprised, but belt dust buildup is evidence of it slipping during shifts on the supercharger snout pulley.

Nothing to tighten really and all should be good as long as the S/C belt tensioner is within it's travel limits.

The belts live a hard life and live in a hot environment so it's not surprising that they will age/wear and have less grip over time. I would think once they start to harden and possibly glaze over they may squeek more than if using a new belt.
I now change mine every 15K miles as they aren't expensive, it keeps it new and tight and I had my first one snap on me which shut down my whole system. Luckily no collateral damage as I've seen some whip around the engine bay and do some serious damage.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Winter will age a belt I bet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts