Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks:

About 400 miles in and still with an annoying squeaking at idle, worse on start up. Mentioned this in my introduction thread. Some thought belt issue, however everything checks out. No squeaking beyond idle and improves with warm up.

It distracts from the start up rumble, which is disappointing.

Anyone else with a similar issue? Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh - otherwise runs beautifully. Love the supercharger whine and the exhaust when I step on it a little. Yeah, I could see how that would scare the crap out of someone (and I haven’t even really got on it yet)!

More fun than a human being should be allowed to have!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had an interior squeak that went away after several hundred miles on its own, but our squeaks don’t appear to be the same.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coming from under hood. Although I checked the belts and they do not appear to be off by a rib, I might try removing the belts and resetting them to see if that makes a difference. So, yeah, if that doesn’t seem to make a difference, I’m thinking pulley. But why? Not a break in thing? No one else with this? Sounding like not normal. But hoping easily fixable. Honestly was simply thinking it would resolve after a few hundred.

Thanks for your reply...I’ll be sure to drop a line after I reset the belts, but it might take a day or two. We are currently getting hammered by another storm. One blizzard was enough...its Wrangler time right now!

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
If it’s fairly consistent, take it in and let them have a look. Should be easy enough for them to locate the source. There’s nothing more difficult to troubleshoot than an intermittent issue, it never has the issue when ur looking at it.

Good luck getting it resolved, I’ve got a few things I need to drop mine off for but don’t want to be without it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
DOC. Its your supercharger!! People who are knew to supercharged cars don't realize the amount of sound they make, and it does sound like a more metallic belt squeak. any other hellcat engine car will sound the same. zr1, ctsv, zo6, gt500, etc.

I recommend an exhaust. then you will barely hear it!

I don't recommend a cold air intake. that will increase the noise.

its a hard noise to get used to but after watching a few youtube videos or meeting some hellcat owners and you'll soon accept it :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bloody:

You described it perfectly. A metallic belt-type squeak. Quickly diminishes with even slightly increased throttle. You are right, although I always wanted to install a Paxton or Vortech to my ‘89 TA, the supercharger thing is new to me. Thanks for the tip. I just wanted to make sure it was normal and not a warning sign that something isn’t right.

A CAI would make this worse? I like your description of the supercharger whine from the Livernois. I can accept the squeak for a lot more whine! Good trade off.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
^ wrong. sorry.

but CAI ABSOLUTELY will increase the IDLE "supercharger rattle" that the doc is hearing. with a CAI with an open filter it absolutely increases the sound. I just put a Livernois CAI on and thats one of the first things I noticed upon start up.

supercharger whine is a whole different discussion JMS and that will certainly increase as well with a CAI. for me its almost too much-lost any sleeper aspect at this point lol.

you are very welcome DOC!! Im surprised no1 before me said something?

while stock, I heard a ton of supercharger rattle at idle (as described thrice above, sounds like a more metallic belt chirp)(know it from my ctsv's etc)
first I did a magnaflo cattback, and at idle it was more exhaust then supercharger rattle.
then I just put on a Livernois CAI, and now its back to being able to hear a lot of rattle.

I remote start my car every time(obviously) and I walk up to it being in the same locations often so its easy for me to compare.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bloody:

Took your advice and did some you tubing. Yep - that’s the noise. 3/3 sites with same idling sounds replicated what I’m talking about. But I’m curious, why is this inherent to the SC? Surprised that someone hasn’t engineered this out. It does detract from the the underlying nature of the beast (when at rest). And I’m also surprised that not more on the site has mentioned this. But then again, I realize that most here are quite experienced re the hellcat and recognize this as normal.

I will be bringing it back to the dealer to change the roof strips (gonna have a rack for transporting a kayak as needed-but only when I’m not racing around. A 17 foot kayak at 100+ probably won’t end well - ha). But I’ll still have them check it out.

Thanks again. I much appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I wonder if some of these squeaks are worse than others. I say that because I haven’t had a SC’ed car before, and yet I’ve never thought anything was off with it. If I’ve got the exact same squeak that Doc is talking about, I surely haven’t noticed it. Or at least questioned it as a newbie to the SC club, as some have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed yesterday, as I was servicing the tires, the rumble was intoxicating. No squeaking. The engine of course, was nice and warm at that point. Once I’m able to post links, maybe I’ll make a recording of the noise and post it for review. I also spoke with the dealer today (he called to see how much fun I’m having in our latest snow storm). I mentioned the noise and he agreed that’s it’s likely SC rattle, but I’m still planning on having them check it out.

I’ll keep in touch with any further feedback/info.

BTW-I drive my unlimited in the snow. After all, it deserves some fun too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doc,
I just read your post about the squeaking noise at idle with cold engine. Did anything change after your last post in Jan 2019? I just picked up a new TH 10 days ago and have the exact same noise. I am under the impression it actually is coming from the belt because it seems to go away, when I turn off A/C at idle. Possibly slight slippage on the compressor pulley?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Decibell:

I’ve been dormant from the site for a while (been monitoring), but I noticed your comment.

yes-it’s the same today as it was on day one. Absolutely no change. and still immediately dissipates with even the smallest touch of the right pedal. I have not noticed any changes despite a/c setting - and it happens in the cold, so I doubt that the compressor is involved. I’m not that worried about it and I totally buy into Bloody’s explanation.

I was thinking about taking a 2020 for a test drive to see if the noise is similar, but I don’t feel like clowning around with dealers right now...

...although I am still having the annoying shifting issue. I think I started a thread on that a year or so ago. That’s still annoying and one of the reasons I’ve been monitoring the site, hoping someone comes up with an easy fix...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a guy I know had a squeak on his 18. But found out that his was a small exhaust leak where the factory exhaust manifold connects to the heads. (Gasket leak)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts