Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wanted to let the community know my opinion regarding the SW catback. The startup and WOT sounds are fantastic, but there is definitely a drone throughout most of the RPM range until you get up to highway cruising speeds at which point it goes away. The sound outside is much "throatier" and less "deep" than is presented inside the car. Most of us don't care about the drone (myself included), but I felt it worth mentioning as I feel bad when I have my girls with me and we are at a stoplight or lightly accelerating as it is definitely present. There are plenty of videos on youtube so I won't bother posting anything unless there are some specific requests, in which case I will be happy to film something for anyone :) Special thanks to Danny for kindly donating this catback to me from his full SW exhaust kit that he found to be overly noisy (I don't disagree after having driven it)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi hawkku - I'd love to see a video that captures the drone. I had one of the SW exhausts in a CTS-V wagon, and there was a boat load of drone in cabin.... I was never able to capture it on video though, so hopefully your cinematic skills are better than mine. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
I’d read up some more about other people’s experiences. It seems like headers aren’t really doing much until your modified and even then most people are saying they wouldn’t do it again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to grab a video Interlogika! Qaher, my buddy had the full set and it was ULTRA loud, I doubt flowmasters will quiet it down that much :/ Yeah, Hemi... as far as gains go, I would only do it for sound. I like my stock ECU/TCM for now with my warranty! Plus, these things can make over a thousand with the stock manifolds so unless you are trying to win an SUV class event I don't see the point. I've thought about designing my own (friend owns a machine shop), but I can't figure out what all the resonance in the cabin is coming from?!? Is it the muffler packing? The hangar design? The muffler location? Anyway, if i figure out some magic sauce I'll be sure to let everyone know!

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
I’d read up some more about other people’s experiences. It seems like headers aren’t really doing much until your modified and even then most people are saying they wouldn’t do it again.
Id bet headers on a stock TH do nothing at all maybe a lil more power at the top end but thats about it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
"I believe in engine efficiency through and through, a HC motor running higher amounts of boost with longtube headers will experience less cylinder pressure, no doubt it. Which results in a healthier running setup under higher loads. It will in turn lose boost pressure due to the airways being opened up, which in turn equates to loss of power(in a nut shell). We have countless 1000+ whp cars out there equipped with the right parts to make then run hard and still be very reliable, most of which have headers." -SKIP of Demon performance

basically this has been beaten to death with a baseball bat. On full balls to the wall builds Headers are always a good idea, especially on 2.65 upper with OD pulley setups. with nitrous they are basically a must. 2.85 and 9 % OD setups aren't going to see much gains with headers(Ive read from 0-30 hp), but the motor WILL be less taxed with lower boost and cylinder pressures. Maybe that lets the engine take a bit more timing but more so its just less stress on the piston.

Reactions: hawkku

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was meaning to add to the thread that once I put the exhaust on there was a tin can type of rattle during mild to wild acceleration and I found that the pipe was rubbing on the transmission brace under the passenger side of the vehicle which was highly frustrating. In five minutes I took the two bolts off the brace (1.5" flat piece of metal that's about two feet long), put a few washers on each side and then bolted it back on to fix the problem. I should note that there was a very slight rubbing sound before I put the catback on which was definitely cause by the same brace if anyone experiences this sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts