Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are planning on stepping into the world of tuning their Trackhawks we have put together two "Tuning Kits" that contain everything you need to get started.
The first kit we call "Entry Level" and the second is called "Weekend Racer". Each of these kits includes a custom OST Dyno tune and the hardware necessary to begin the tuning process.

To get more details on what these kits contain or to purchase either of these options visit our website:
https://ostdyno.com/tuning-options/ost-dyno-hptuners-quick-start-packages/

·
Registered
412 Posts
Very interesting. Finally... a way to NOT have to ship my PCM across the country for a remote tune.

Reactions: Mike-OSTDyno

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much HP gain for each level?
We are not a "dyno number" shop. We focus on ET and MPH.
There are way too many outrageous dyno number claims out there. We have opted to keep our dyno honest and focus on making customer cars perform properly vs a piece of paper with a peak HP number - which is meaningless in our eyes.

You will notice gains with either option.
For reference a completely stock Hellcat with DR's in 2000'+ DA will generally ET in the 11.1 to 11.2 range.
With only our "Starter" kit + TCM tune (no other modifications) the same car ET's at 10.6-10.7.

We will be doing a Trackhawk testing/modification thread shortly showing performance gains with our Starter kit and Weekend Racer kit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We are not a "dyno number" shop. We focus on ET and MPH.
There are way too many outrageous dyno number claims out there. We have opted to keep our dyno honest and focus on making customer cars perform properly vs a piece of paper with a peak HP number - which is meaningless in our eyes.

You will notice gains with either option.
For reference a completely stock Hellcat with DR's in 2000'+ DA will generally ET in the 11.1 to 11.2 range.
With only our "Starter" kit + TCM tune (no other modifications) the same car ET's at 10.6-10.7.

We will be doing a Trackhawk testing/modification thread shortly showing performance gains with our Starter kit and Weekend Racer kit.
What are the 0 to 60 times?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like that you dont push dyno numbers like most other vendors do. The dyno is a great tuning tool but will lie about real gains. The track tells the real tale. I never even asked for dyno numbers after the first tune I did on my former Challenger with 426 stroker. The MPH at the stripe told me all I needed. I will be doing a pulley and tune with you soon Mike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
<snip>
The dyno is a great tuning tool but will lie about real gains. The track tells the real tale.
<snip>.
A dyno doesn't lie any more than a time slip lies, its all about knowing the complete picture. For a slip there are a bunch (other mods (suspension/tires), DA at the track when the run was done, track prep, track name/location (gradients, timing variations) etc., etc., etc.) that are rarely disclosed in product/services marketing. So the disclosed info factually may help show the differences between packages of a single vendor but is not terribly useful when choosing between vendors.

For slips Drag Times has been a pretty useful community tool for pinning down some of those variables and lets things like VBOX data be added to show additional info. The TH data is pretty thin up there now, only two runs posted, both stock, and 0.7 sec and 7 mph difference between them. The tracks may be telling a tale, but the tale isn't likely to be that the HP in those two Jeeps is that different...

·
Registered
412 Posts
A dyno doesn't lie any more than a time slip lies, its all about knowing the complete picture. For a slip there are a bunch (other mods (suspension/tires), DA at the track when the run was done, track prep, track name/location (gradients, timing variations) etc., etc., etc.) that are rarely disclosed in product/services marketing. So the disclosed info factually may help show the differences between packages of a single vendor but is not terribly useful when choosing between vendors.

For slips Drag Times has been a pretty useful community tool for pinning down some of those variables and lets things like VBOX data be added to show additional info. The TH data is pretty thin up there now, only two runs posted, both stock, and 0.7 sec and 7 mph difference between them. The tracks may be telling a tale, but the tale isn't likely to be that the HP in those two Jeeps is that different...
I agree. before and after gains using the same vehicle on the same dyno are relevant to the discussion of power increases. There are less variables in play on a dyno than there are at the track, as mentioned above, not to mention the all-important "driver mod." I want to see gains at the track, but I also want to see them on a dyno with my vehicle (what one reads 1000 miles away on a different dyno may not tell the whole story, either, certainly).

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He was asking about the 0-60 mph time, not the 60’ time.
I understand what he was asking and is why I stated that we don't do 0-60mh times.
I opted to add some pertinent information that may help but do understand that some might be confused by 60' vs. 0-60.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
before and after gains using the same vehicle on the same dyno are relevant to the discussion of power increases.
I will agree with this statement. Outside of this type of testing dyno numbers, especially on different dynos can be very misleading and should not be used in a comparison.
We have been in business for over 10 years and operate two Mustang dynos. We do "before" hits on every car that comes into our shop for upgrades or tuning prior to performing any work. We do this to establish an accurate baseline for reference. I can't count how many vehicles we have done before tests on that make 80-150whp LESS than the dyno sheets given to these customers from previous work.

So please take dyno numbers with a block of salt - unless before and after testing of modifications were performed on the same dyno and then the gains in whp can be used as a reference for that specific modification.

It is really difficult to "fudge" an ET or MPH. A properly configured automatic transmission vehicle, with no traction issues, will perform almost identical regardless of the driver (assuming the drivers are similar in weight). The only other factor that would come into play is DA.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is really difficult to "fudge" an ET or MPH. A properly configured automatic transmission vehicle, with no traction issues, will perform almost identical regardless of the driver (assuming the drivers are similar in weight). The only other factor that would come into play is DA.
I completely understand the hesitation to claim dyno #s from one car to the next, or from one dyno to the next. Correction factors alone can be fudged, and "hero" pulls made. This is also the case at the dragstrip, as you mention DA. A car in the NE on a chilly fall day is going to always run significantly quicker/faster with the same mods, as my car would down here in Texas.

And you are correct about the auto trans vehicles with a tire. I'm so used to racing/driving stickshift trans cars that the driver is an extremely critical part of the equation, but that is definitely less of a case with these AWD Trackhawks. :) That's one reason I end up driving this more than my hi-po Vettes... it rips off 0-60 in 3.1 repeatedly, with little fan-fare. It's almost too easy. :)

Thanks for jumping in here as a supporting vendor. Personally, I really like that you use HP Tuners and can collect data from me remotely, without me having to ship my PCM all over the country.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I completely understand the hesitation to claim dyno #s from one car to the next, or from one dyno to the next. Correction factors alone can be fudged, and "hero" pulls made. This is also the case at the dragstrip, as you mention DA. A car in the NE on a chilly fall day is going to always run significantly quicker/faster with the same mods, as my car would down here in Texas.

And you are correct about the auto trans vehicles with a tire. I'm so used to racing/driving stickshift trans cars that the driver is an extremely critical part of the equation, but that is definitely less of a case with these AWD Trackhawks. :) That's one reason I end up driving this more than my hi-po Vettes... it rips off 0-60 in 3.1 repeatedly, with little fan-fare. It's almost too easy. :)

Thanks for jumping in here as a supporting vendor. Personally, I really like that you use HP Tuners and can collect data from me remotely, without me having to ship my PCM all over the country.
Another thing that most folks don't consider is that a dyno graph generally represents only a wide open throttle run in 1 gear. In almost all cases a dyno pull does not start from a stop (this would require a 1st gear dyno pull). With an 8 speed transmission a partial RPM range pull in one gear is substantially less than 1/8th of the real picture (actually more like 1/50th). At the track, whether it be a dragstrip or LSR event the ET and/or MPH will be a superior representation of the overall vehicle performance by running it through all the gears.

Am I tuning your vehicle? I only know my customers by their real names communicated via email and not screen names.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Am I tuning your vehicle? I only know my customers by their real names communicated via email and not screen names.
Not yet, but I'm weighing options, and the fact you are a proven tuner who uses software that doesn't require a bench flash is very attractive. :) I've got 3200 miles on mine, and enjoying the warranty. But it is _so_ hard not to at least do mild mods to this thing. I am a little nervous about the transfer case, though.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not yet, but I'm weighing options, and the fact you are a proven tuner who uses software that doesn't require a bench flash is very attractive. :) I've got 3200 miles on mine, and enjoying the warranty. But it is _so_ hard not to at least do mild mods to this thing. I am a little nervous about the transfer case, though.
We have tuned quite a few of these and the majority have been remote tunes. We have remote tuned Trackhawks in Dubai, Australia, Toronto and Dallas.
The one in Australia is running a Demon SC and the OST "Demon" cam.

The others are either our Level 1 or our Level 2 packages.
https://ostdyno.com/hellcat-performance/

Here is a Trackhawk running our Level 1 package and remote tune that we did last Spring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5cu_kKavo

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks for the response, Mike! I'm near Dallas, myself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts