Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle stuck using Launch Control !!!
Very scary situation. I hit the brakes hard and the throttle finally returned to normal around 80mph.
I didn't think I was going to get stopped. Definitely NOT caused by the floor mat. Not sure of the cause.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
There is that cruise control recall, not sure if it might be related but your situation was the first thing I thought about when I saw the recall. How do you stop 700hp with a stuck accelerator?!?! Get it to the dealership ASAP

·
Registered
185 Posts
This doesn’t sound good…. I know you must have been panicked (I know I would), but did you try to lift the pedal back up with your foot? I had a similar situation happen on another new car I had and found out the bolt holding the pedal arm on was too tight not allowing it to return when I floored it one day, but I was able to get my foot under it to bring it back. I know with launch control activated we are all “standing” on the brake and accelerator pedals with our adrenaline pumping. Not sure if this is what happened to you or not. Might play with the pedal while not running and see if it sticks or not before taking it to the dealer…

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This doesn’t sound good…. I know you must have been panicked (I know I would), but did you try to lift the pedal back up with your foot?
I did panic! Good thing I was on a straight road with no curves. I had no time to check if the pedal was stuck to the floor. Only thing I could so was get on the brakes HARD. I did check the pedal when I got home and it doesn't stick.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is good you were on a straight run and able to get it stopped safely. I always try to avoid the dealerships at all costs, but it sounds like you need to have it looked at. The brakes are really good to stop that much power!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
There is that cruise control recall, not sure if it might be related but your situation was the first thing I thought about when I saw the recall. How do you stop 700hp with a stuck accelerator?!?! Get it to the dealership ASAP
SHIFT IT INTO NEUTRAL GUYS!!!!

Please shift it into neutral and step on the brake... let the motor keep revving if its really stuck... But even if your cruise control gets stuck... Shift the car into neutral and coast or brake.... Did they not teach this to you in driving school? Very happy my instructor pointed that out to me!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Throttle stuck again! Was NOT using Launch Control this time. Had to throw it up in Neutral and hit the brakes hard.
Could it be the floor mat that's causing this? I always remove the floor mat when racing. It has never stuck at the track.
I saw on one of the other forums that it has happened to other people also.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Throttle stuck again! Was NOT using Launch Control this time. Had to throw it up in Neutral and hit the brakes hard.
Could it be the floor mat that's causing this? I always remove the floor mat when racing. It has never stuck at the track.
I saw on one of the other forums that it has happened to other people also.

Get it in asap for the recall.

I have had the floor mat on several cars cause this and killing the engine with old fashioned key in the ignition was an easy reflex. Now, with these **** push button ignition switches hidden behing the steering wheel/stalks is stupid. Neutral and the engine redlining is just hard to bring myself to doing.
I will have to practice I guess as with a tuned vehicle I cannot get the PCM reflashed by the dealer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Get it in asap for the recall.
I had the recall performed. Didn't help /forum/images/JeepTrackHawk_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png
So this morning I used launch control. After hitting 60mph I let off the throttle but the Jeeps throttle stayed open for about a half a second and gained about 5 more mph. Did not immediately release as it should. Definitely concerned me and not sure if it was a fluke. Light to see if this has happened to others as I already got the cruise control recall done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do the vehicles that are having this sticky throttle problem also have the gas pedal overlay attached to the metal gas pedal when this has accured. I could see how the overlay increases the size of the pedal and could be causing some interference.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Interesting thought. MY TH's gas pedal cover came off at about 5000 miles.
Haven't put it back on yet, and now I may not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

First time posting on this forum but was going through some NHTSA review and found 2 recalls on the trackhawk. One might be what was causing this. You can check your vin at the nhtsa website and it will tell you outstanding recalls. Here's the one that seems to seem possible for this.

May 23,2018
Manufacturer Recall NumberU65
NHTSA Recall Number18V-332

Summary
The fault handling strategy of the Engine Control Module (ECM) or PCM software in the affected vehicles does not remove positive torque requests from the engine controller if the CAN-C bus stops communicating while the cruise control is requesting positive torque.

Safety Risk
If the CAN-C bus stops communicating the cruise control may maintain current vehicle speed or possibly accelerate. If the driver does not shift to neutral or apply the brakes to stop the vehicle this condition can cause a vehicle crash without warning.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doesn't appear that the floor mat is the problem. I have pushed it down a hundred times with the engine not running and it has never stuck. The pedal does not touch the floor mat or carpet. I have no way of knowing if the gas pedal is stuck to the floor when the problem occurs. Just not enough time to look down there in time of panic. I always remove the the floor mat when at the track and I have never had a problem. It has only happened on the street doing 0-60 pulls with the floor mat installed. Computer or throttle body? All recalls are done and dealer has looked at it and couldn't find a problem. Several people have had the same problem. I know of at least 2 of us have reported the problem to the NHTSA.

If this has happened to you contact:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

also tell "Jeep Cares" of your problem
https://jeepgarage.org/members/jeepcares-96103.html

and of course your dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As of October 29th mine is showing a recall for floormat. No parts are available to correct at this time. I should be good since I replaced my floormat with Weathertech trays.

·
Registered
369 Posts
First thing I did was to remove the OEM floor mats and replace them with 3D MAXpider floor mats. Since moving to TX years ago I stopped using Weather tech and Huskey. I like the fit and look.

3D Maxpider

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Vaako, I have those same ones. Put them in the first day I had my TH. Great fit and look.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Went by the dealer today and he had not heard about a floor mat recall so he looked it up. Sure enough there is. He checked on the replacement mat and said ETA was Feb 19! WTH!! Seems like Jeep would make this a high priority since this could be a major lawsuit when a TH ends up in the back seat of Ford. I have a set of Weather Tech mats I had in my 2017 GCSRT. Wonder if they would interfere with the go pedal? Also thinking about cutting out a piece of the floor mat below the pedal..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts