Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CAI and catback are my only performance mods. A few days ago I was making a left turn around a median and need to get on it quick to out pace traffic coming out of the turn. I must have been 3/4 to WOT for a second and almost instantly it cut out as if it was pulling throttle due to traction control. I did not notice any warning lights and had a half tank of gas. The incident worried me considerably because if I was in need of the power to avoid getting t-boned I wouldn’t have had it. Drove normal the rest of the way home.

Today I was on the highway about 7 min into driving (oil temp was 180) and I was going about 65 and got on it. Same thing - cut out for about a second. It was under heavy WOT load. This time it was just under a 1/4 tank. I filled it up to make sure it was not being starved of fuel and put my gauge on air fuel. Under WOT reading A/F timeline gauge, I did notice it drop lower than the 12.75 stoich line. Maybe 10.5-11?? Is that normal? It did seem to hiccup between a shift more than normal.

I decided not to do any more testing until I heard from you all. Only 5k miles and nothing jeopardizing warranty - thank god.

Anyone experiencing intermittent cut out under heavy load?

·
Banned
362 Posts
I've had cutouts (fuel starvation) on WOT from a standing start several times. And that has ONLY happened with less than 1/2 tank of gas. Probably closer to 1/3. Fill it up and problem goes away. I've haven't seen that on aggressive turning corners or street driving since I don't have much of an need or opportunity for that where I live "but" I wouldn't be surprised if that is not due to fuel starvation too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I quarter mile mine several times at the track. I have noticed a sudden loss of power a few times off the line. Anytime my Trackhawk has about 1/3rd tank of gas or less it will happen. Not everytime I take off but probably 2 or 3 times out of 10 runs.

The last time I raced it I went to the track with about 3/4 tank of fuel. It did not do it once. Ran the truck on 8 runs and everytime it launched perfect with zero loss of power. In my case it is definitely fuel related. I’m not sure where the fuel pick up is in the gas tank but it must run dry for a quick second when it happens on low tanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the quick reply and reassurance it’s probably fuel starvation. Sucks to have this “condition” but at least that seems to be what’s happening.

I’ll do some more testing with the full tank just to be sure.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
I quarter mile mine several times at the track. I have noticed a sudden loss of power a few times off the line. Anytime my Trackhawk has about 1/3rd tank of gas or less it will happen. Not everytime I take off but probably 2 or 3 times out of 10 runs.

The last time I raced it I went to the track with about 3/4 tank of fuel. It did not do it once. Ran the truck on 8 runs and everytime it launched perfect with zero loss of power. In my case it is definitely fuel related. I’m not sure where the fuel pick up is in the gas tank but it must run dry for a quick second when it happens on low tanks.
oh wow thats crazy. very interesting these are not 50 year old cars they have gas tanks built so this does not happen. baffles, pressurized and I am sure other tricks I have no clue about. this is good to know thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
It is call Throttle By wire it takes the place of the cable it is electric it controls throttle response if it gets dirty or or it gets weak that's what will happen Lok it up and it will explain it to you also you can get a kit for it to

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Joe, sounds like traction control to me. Id say try driving with the TC off as a way to troubleshoot it, and see if you can make it happen. I doubt its fuel starvation if you had a half tank.

Out of curiosity, whose CAI are you running? Also have you gotten the first oil change? maybe check the level if you haven't already.

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1 on traction control, esp for the first one. I've cut tight to get out of a parking lot entrance onto the street and dropped the inside rear off the edge of the curb, and had both SRTs and the TH all just die for 1-2 seconds. No flashing traction control light, just a disconnected throttle and sheer terror of not being able to get out of oncoming traffics way. After a few good scares I now remember to hit the TC off button when doing that.

Every factory tune I've seen has the af ratio get fatter (lower, more fuel present) at WOT so your #s look fine.

·
Registered
685 Posts
+1 on traction control, esp for the first one. I've cut tight to get out of a parking lot entrance onto the street and dropped the inside rear off the edge of the curb, and had both SRTs and the TH all just die for 1-2 seconds. No flashing traction control light, just a disconnected throttle and sheer terror of not being able to get out of oncoming traffics way. After a few good scares I now remember to hit the TC off button when doing that.

Every factory tune I've seen has the af ratio get fatter (lower, more fuel present) at WOT so your #s look fine.
+2 on that.

I've driven cars that were far worse than our SRTs and THs in that area. A new Jaguar XKR that I had nearly got me t-boned in a wet intersection when the traction control kicked in and effectively stopped the car in its tracks. Scary.

Many newer cars, even with the traction control "off" still have an intervention system. Me no likey.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Traction control or even the stability control will do that at times in this truck.

Sudden steering inputs and the brutal force of wot sometimes freak the sensors out.

The oem dual pumps in this truck are sitting in a basket specifically designed to hold fuel. No way they are starved at anything above 1/4 tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Have seen the same thing with mine regarding TC. It happens almost every time I leave our church parking lot, even at low speed. It is a slight uphill grade that quickly transitions to a flat surface (undoubtedly disrupting various sensor inputs), turn is almost 90^ and if I try to accelerate too quickly... it will drop power. In this case, I know it is not fuel-related... that type of power drop is a different feel altogether, IMHO.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If your pumps experience cavitation , which is what happens in that scenario, they suck in air and car/truck will sputter, buck and literally pop. It’s not just a sudden loss of power, it is violent under wot, similar to spark blowout if you’ve had that happen.

Wot, a surge, then a nose dive, then a surge again is all the timing being pulled by the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
362 Posts
Yep, I'd vote for traction control. I've never had any fuel related problems but it has occurred when I have lost traction.
I've felt the cutout on WOT with TC on and it definitely feels different than the cutout I've felt with low fuel levels on WOT with TC off. They are similar but I can tell the difference.

BTW, I've never felt the cutout "at speed" on WOT highway passes, regardless of fuel levels.

I'm convinced low fuels levels "can" cause this problem on WOT launches. However, to make it confusing, it doesn't happen every time. (Maybe half the time) And it has never happened with TC off when I have more than 1/2 a tank of gas. Other odd thing is I have never had this happen to my 2 GC SRT's, so something in the TH fuel delivery is different. My solution is to keep more than 1/2 tank of gas, especially if I'm planning on making any serious runs.

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
If it was only at low speed, I’d say traction control but the 60mph issue makes it a different issue. Sounds like it’s only under g’s that this issue is happening. Fill up and eliminate that possibility as well as turning off the traction control (you can save it that way) and let us know. By the sounds of things, an electrical connection would be a strong possibility. Or some software issue

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it was only at low speed, I’d say traction control but the 60mph issue makes it a different issue. Sounds like it’s only under g’s that this issue is happening. Fill up and eliminate that possibility as well as turning off the traction control (you can save it that way) and let us know. By the sounds of things, an electrical connection would be a strong possibility. Or some software issue
Since the post, with a fresh tank of gas everything is normal. Bad gas? Fluke glitch? Who knows. I’ll post back if it occurs again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Throttle Wire

Please do. I’ve heard of a few people having issues that wound up being an electrical connection issue. Good luck
In my post I said it could be the throttle wire which takes the place of the cable, it is a electric connection which controls the foot pedal to the throttle body. If it is dirty or loose it will cause this problem. When you mash the pedal it takes awhile for it to catch up. LOOK IT UP. Some do and some not you can buy a bypass for it. It is call pedal command.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts