Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have issues with their Supercharger belt? I was doing a launch when I lost power followed by several bells and lights going off on the dash. Pulled over and popped the hood to find my Supercharger belt snapped in two also causing my main belt to come off it's pulleys. Only 12,400 miles on my TH.

Anyone using a stronger/better Supercharger belt?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I found that mine was off a rib from the factory. I would guess this would’ve an issue over time, so I moved mine so it was properly aligned. There’s a post about checking it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Anyone have issues with their Supercharger belt? I was doing a launch when I lost power followed by several bells and lights going off on the dash. Pulled over and popped the hood to find my Supercharger belt snapped in two also causing my main belt to come off it's pulleys. Only 12,400 miles on my TH.

Did this happen on a stock TH?

·
Registered
412 Posts

When was yours built? Mine was an early Feb '18 build and mine snapped/shredded, took out the S-belt and left me stranded at 1300 miles on the odometer. If you do a search you can find my thread on this. That was many months ago ... back last summer. After the car was towed to the dealer (my belt left ton of material all ground up and clogged behind the upper blower pulley, and it also damaged my hood liner), they had an FCA engineer come out and he reported that some of these received a batch of bad blower belts from the factory.

After a day to wait on new belts from FCA, I was back on the road. I immediately purchased some green belts and pulled the dealer-installed, OEM replacements. The green belts are a heavy duty belt, and I just felt better about having them on there. Easy 15 min install that I did in my driveway.

Part #s are as follows: S-belt... Gates K060846HD Blower belt... Gates K100579HD

I've had absolutely no issues since. I have a short commute, so I'm only at 5800 miles now, but I drive the vehicle every day.

Reactions: PBGas

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When was yours built? Mine was an early Feb '18 build and mine snapped/shredded, took out the S-belt and left me stranded at 1300 miles on the odometer. If you do a search you can find my thread on this. That was many months ago ... back last summer. After the car was towed to the dealer (my belt left ton of material all ground up and clogged behind the upper blower pulley, and it also damaged my hood liner), they had an FCA engineer come out and he reported that some of these received a batch of bad blower belts from the factory.

After a day to wait on new belts from FCA, I was back on the road. I immediately purchased some green belts and pulled the dealer-installed, OEM replacements. The green belts are a heavy duty belt, and I just felt better about having them on there. Easy 15 min install that I did in my driveway.

Part #s are as follows: S-belt... Gates K060846HD Blower belt... Gates K100579HD

I've had absolutely no issues since. I have a short commute, so I'm only at 5800 miles now, but I drive the vehicle every day.

Mine kicked off my main belt as well but just snapped the SC belt so no additional damage, just a pain in the ass. Great tip on the green belt, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,441 Posts

dont put the stock belt back on check out "Gates" It probably will never happen again but the head ache is just not worth it to go and warranty it. maybe if you buy new belt and have them install it under warranty?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont put the stock belt back on check out "Gates" It probably will never happen again but the head ache is just not worth it to go and warranty it. maybe if you buy new belt and have them install it under warranty?
Yep, ordered Gates blower belt and main serpentine belt

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just noticed your picture, that’s a bad belt.

A misalignment will shred ribs off belt before it gets thrown. That’s a clean-ass break. Never seen that before, and I’ve shredded plenty of belts in my time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just noticed your picture, that’s a bad belt.

A misalignment will shred ribs off belt before it gets thrown. That’s a clean-ass break. Never seen that before, and I’ve shredded plenty of belts in my time.

Yes, dealer said FCA is asking for lots of documentation and pictures as if there's a known issue or at least they've seen enough of these to become an issue. Dealer also said the part # changed indicating that the new belts are in fact different. I did order a Gates blower belt that seems to be a bit more reinforced than the stock belts.

Dealer said they don't see any information indicating that these need to be replaced inside of 60K miles, but for a $30 belt and 30 minutes of work I will be replacing these every 10K-15K miles as a precaution.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Question out to any forum members that have a Livernois package.

What brand of belt comes with a 1025 or 975 package, as the site only just states: Appropriate Length Serpentine Belt

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts

Just looked on O’Reilly web site for the belts and received this message

Gates FleetRunner Micro-V Serpentine Belt -K100579HD does not fit your:
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
V8 - 6.2L 6166cc 376ci GAS MFI Supercharged

Is this a different belt or do I need to go to another site?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just looked on O’Reilly web site for the belts and received this message

Gates FleetRunner Micro-V Serpentine Belt -K100579HD does not fit your:
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
V8 - 6.2L 6166cc 376ci GAS MFI Supercharged

Is this a different belt or do I need to go to another site?
Those are the belts that were recommended to me, and I am sitting here looking at the sleeve the belts come in... so I don't know why it says that. ??? These are the exact belts on my TH.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
I know amazon isn’t always right about their fitment recommendations, maybe try a few more to confirm. Especially the manufacturer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
@WA 2 FST and @Lil Hemi

Thanks!
I will just go down to the local O’Reillys, ask them why their site states that and then shop for better prices. Just looking at O’Reillys and Amazon, there is ~$15 difference in price.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I got real curious about the various part numbers supplied and decided to call Gates today. Here is what I found out regarding the different part numbers.

The link supplied by @PBGas was very helpful.

Gates K100579HD is correct for the TH, but I found out after talking to Bill (at gates.com) that part number K100579RPM is a better replacement option as it was designed for the supercharger stress and is more stretch resistant. ( Again you can decide for your self, as Bill did state this is a replacement option for the HC motor.)

As far as Gates K060846HD, this will fit the TH, but again after talking to Bill, part K060834 will work and is more to OEM specs.

I asked about where to buy and it was recommended to buy from an authorized parts supplier, NAPA, O'Reilly, etc VS. an Amazon. His reasoning was backing up of warranty.

I know that I have priced part numbers on Amazon and O'Reilly, but the little voice in the back of my head keeps saying is the couple bucks worth it vs. being able to go just down the street to the local parts supplier.

I am going to go with the advice from Bill ( the gates tech guy). This is my 2 cents on the subject and again you can decide for yourself.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Question out to any forum members that have a Livernois package.

What brand of belt comes with a 1025 or 975 package, as the site only just states: Appropriate Length Serpentine Belt

Thanks
My s975 package got a Gates K100586...that's with a 3.0" dia upper and 8.76" dia (9%) lower set up.

I recommend getting a new accessary belt and putting it in the trunk just in case.....they don't stock them most places...Mopar Serpentine Drive Fan Belt 5038718AA.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got real curious about the various part numbers supplied and decided to call Gates today. Here is what I found out regarding the different part numbers.

The link supplied by @PBGas was very helpful.

Gates K100579HD is correct for the TH, but I found out after talking to Bill (at gates.com) that part number K100579RPM is a better replacement option as it was designed for the supercharger stress and is more stretch resistant. ( Again you can decide for your self, as Bill did state this is a replacement option for the HC motor.)

As far as Gates K060846HD, this will fit the TH, but again after talking to Bill, part K060834 will work and is more to OEM specs.

I asked about where to buy and it was recommended to buy from an authorized parts supplier, NAPA, O'Reilly, etc VS. an Amazon. His reasoning was backing up of warranty.

I know that I have priced part numbers on Amazon and O'Reilly, but the little voice in the back of my head keeps saying is the couple bucks worth it vs. being able to go just down the street to the local parts supplier.

I am going to go with the advice from Bill ( the gates tech guy). This is my 2 cents on the subject and again you can decide for yourself.
Much thx for the detective work and for the part numbers! I’ll go with these new numbers as well. Hope they work!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts