Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw someone selling the 2.7L Demon supercharger in the F/S section and it got me curious if anyone on here has been considering swapping the factory 2.4 with the 2.7?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen it done on a local TH. Thing runs like a bat out of hell. Expensive, but it can be done, yes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The question that just just begs to ask:
Just what size supercharger, can you install, be street legal and not end up in a ditch upside down?
I guess it boils down to your wallet and tener cojones...

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
Would it be just a swap ? Or would you also have to get it tuned ?
Has to be tuned.

Why,when you can get 850 hp out of the one thats on it?
Because some people want even more...

And its not just about the peak numbers, a larger capacity SC will provide higher numbers across the entire power curve, AND do so more efficiently. Which is exactly why Dodge chose to put a larger SC on the Demon rather than just increasing the speed of the existing one.

Reactions: DemonSkip

·
Registered
110 Posts
Would it be just a swap ? Or would you also have to get it tuned ?
Has to be tuned.

Why,when you can get 850 hp out of the one thats on it?
Because some people want even more...

And its not just about the peak numbers, a larger capacity SC will provide higher numbers across the entire power curve, AND do so more efficiently. Which is exactly why Dodge chose to put a larger SC on the Demon rather than just increasing the speed of the existing one.

What kind of tuning, or who does the tuning when you do swap ? Just trying to learn here lol

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I’m pretty sure this one is so expensive because it’s a “Demon” supercharger. There are plenty of supercharger manufacturers out there like whipple and Procharge.

The “tuning” is needed after changing out power producing parts and involves changing the various numbers stored on the ECU (engine control module) or in our case the PCU. Basically, you are electronically adjusting various parameters like fuel injector duty cycle and such in order to keep your AFR (air/fuel ratio) correct as well as a lot of other things. The part of the tuner is critical because adding parts won’t help if the computer isn’t properly set up and if the tune isn’t great, you will lose performance and can very easily do a lot of damage.
In the old days, it would be the mechanic that did the tune because it was all mechanical but now the mechanic does adds the parts and the tuner changes the ECU parameters (also called flashing the ECU or changing the engine map). You definitely want to find a tuner that specializes in your particular vehicle or motor. There are LS guys and mustang guys EVERYWHERE but Mopar guys seem to be few and far between. So far I’ve found Livernois (Detroit) and Demon (South Carolina) but I’m in Texas so I’m still looking for my tuner. I used AMS Motorsports to remotely tune my Evo when I did that build because they are simply the best at doing Evos.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Given these differences between our engines and the Demon... "A larger 2.7-liter supercharger, Demon-specific crankshaft, camshaft, valvetrain, connecting rods, and pistons all upgrade the engine over the regular Hellcat. Dual fuel pumps"... you can bet there are a number of supporting mods (including tuning) needed to take full advantage of the bigger blower.

The bigger blower, while more efficient in the higher rev-ranges, also takes more HP per revolution. At a given psi, it will provide lower ambient air temps than the smaller blower, and it also has the capability of flowing more air into an engine with more displacement, or one that is turning more rpms. I do not know what the engine redline is of the Demon-specific engine, but given it has a different cam and valvetrain, my guess is it spins higher than the Hellcat motor we have in our THs. This would most likely be the reason for the larger supercharger in the first place.

IMHumbleO, unless you're going to "go into the motor" of your TH, and at least add a cam that can take advantage of the bigger huffer, there is no reason to do this compared to a Demonized or Livernois 925+hp setup. The larger displacement supercharger only is a _real_ benefit if you utilize its potential. At relatively sane boost levels, the difference in performance will be marginal, at best.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
What kind of tuning, or who does the tuning when you do swap ? Just trying to learn here lol
Multiple companies are doing it, Livernois, Demon Performance, the H one from TX that shall not be named, etc.

It's not specific to this SC, anyone who is offering real # performance packages have cracked the computer and could potentially tune for this just as they do for the increased boost, flow and/or fuel as in their packages. As this isn't yet a common swap though it would be a custom one where they would need the vehicle for a while strapped to their dyno.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The demon/RE blowers are larger and will be more efficient at the same or higher boost levels and are capable of making more efficient boost at higher rpms when compared to the OEM HC/TH unit. The OEM HC/TH blowers run out of RPMs/steam beyond a certain boost pressure. Beyond that, you're making useless/dangerous heat. That's actually hurting you overall. We've seen it time and time again, guys running 21+psi on the stock blower making the same HP as the guy making 18psi is making.

If you're a non stop modder, then a blower upgrade is great but it will only get you so far, no matter what size blower you have. Other things will need to happen to make everything work as it should. Fuel upgrades, engine upgrades, drivetrain upgrades, calibration, you name it.

If you're chasing for north of 4 digit power, I wouldn't even bother with a blower to be honest. A demon blower runs 7/8k and up, some seen for 12/13k. At that point you're better off getting a turbo kit for a handful of grand more. That will not only make gobbs more power per PSI of boost, but it will be a softer load on your engine and it will live longer at those power levels when compared to a blower at the same boost levels.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you guys want the larger oe blower, why not wait til the RedEye/Demon guys start upgrading to our turbo kits or larger Whipple/KB blowers. When that starts to happen, OE 2.7 units will be sitting on shelves everywhere and won't cost as much as a Whipple or KB blower.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm making around 880BHP with the demon blower/cam and an interchiller. Hitting 15PSI.

Now that the clutched 2.72 pulley has been released, it makes my mods seem ridiculously expensive and if the clutched pulley was out when I bought the blower, I maybe would have gone that route.

In saying that, I take a lot of pride in having a pretty unique trackhawk running a demon blower. It looks completely stock and I'll be adding a 10% O/D pulley after Christmas which should see me at 17-18 PSI and at the limit of pump fuel. It'll be nice and sharp for race fuel at the strip.

My best is a 10.9 on a set of 22" wheels on poor Pirelli rubber (at the 1/4 mile, not road run). I'm swapping to Michellins this weekend and I've also ordered a set of Forgestar 20" rims to be fitted with M/T 305/35 rubber. From research, decent tyres are worth 2/3 10ths and I'm yet to see how effective (or not) high octane fuel is.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
We have tuned a couple of these swaps and they are relatively straightforward and make good power. One of the customers made the swap on a Hellcat and put the stock SC cover back on so no one could tell he made the swap :)
Like DemonSkip said, once the Red Eye owners start swapping to Whipple or Magnuson SC's there should be more of these available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts