Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sitting at a light yesterday, look over at my coolant gauge and it is pegged at the red!!!! I was like wow, gotta pull it over... Was at a spot without shoulder, so I drive about a block and the dash water temp gauge pops up. I was about 100 ft away from a parking lot and as I am about to pull in I see it starting to go down. So I drive slowly and I watch it go down below normal, then slowly creep up again and eventually down again... I was about 1/2 a mile from home so I limped it back. Popped the hood and I got some coolant that blew past the cap threads. Looks like some came out the top of reservoir. But it's still reading full when hot.

Thinking it the thermo just sticking. Jeep about 4 years old and barely over 50k. The fans are for sure kicking on. Dealer I unusually go to doesn't have a spot until Feb 22nd, so I am taking it to another place. Hoping it should be simple enough for whoever looks at it to just fix it.

Just venting!!!

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might want to check the water pump. Mine failed and did basically the same thing yours is doing. My impeller broke loose from the shaft.
Yes I was thinking it is possible it's the pump. It's for sure intermittent but could be the impeller problem you mentioned. Thanks for the feedback!

The other part to it is I have been smelling coolant for about 2 weeks. I looked in the engine and underneath to pin point it but could not see anything obvious. I have had pumps fail before in the srt and it leaked those times. My point is that your suggestion could explain what has been happening

· Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
360 Posts
Yes I was thinking it is possible it's the pump. It's for sure intermittent but could be the impeller problem you mentioned. Thanks for the feedback!

The other part to it is I have been smelling coolant for about 2 weeks. I looked in the engine and underneath to pin point it but could not see anything obvious. I have had pumps fail before in the srt and it leaked those times. My point is that your suggestion could explain what has been happening
I would also change out radiator cap at the same time, have a 300 SRT, my son says he always smell coolant, bet I have put 3 radiator caps on since owning. Have to add small amount of coolant every so often. Test cap with pressure tester to determine, auto parts store should have tester. My son said its a hot coolant leak cause I never see any coolant at all. Can also test coolant system with tester to see if water pump is leaking or if your loosing pressure somewhere else.

Reactions: Dirtrcr

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would also change out radiator cap at the same time, have a 300 SRT, my son says he always smell coolant, bet I have put 3 radiator caps on since owning. Have to add small amount of coolant every so often. Test cap with pressure tester to determine, auto parts store should have tester. My son said its a hot coolant leak cause I never see any coolant at all. Can also test coolant system with tester to see if water pump is leaking or if your loosing pressure somewhere else.
I remember the stock cap on my WK1 SRT kept seeping coolant and I changed it out and that fixed the problem. I will for sure get a new one, thanks! I am dropping it off tomorrow morning at the dealer since I have an 8 year Mopar Care contract, so I will make sure to mention that they pressure test the whole system. I would think they would do that, but you never know with the varying experiences I had at dealerships. Seems like you gotta do your own research and push them to do stuff they should be doing anyhow!

· Registered
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
143 Posts
Was sitting at a light yesterday, look over at my coolant gauge and it is pegged at the red!!!! I was like wow, gotta pull it over... Was at a spot without shoulder, so I drive about a block and the dash water temp gauge pops up. I was about 100 ft away from a parking lot and as I am about to pull in I see it starting to go down. So I drive slowly and I watch it go down below normal, then slowly creep up again and eventually down again... I was about 1/2 a mile from home so I limped it back. Popped the hood and I got some coolant that blew past the cap threads. Looks like some came out the top of reservoir. But it's still reading full when hot.

Thinking it the thermo just sticking. Jeep about 4 years old and barely over 50k. The fans are for sure kicking on. Dealer I unusually go to doesn't have a spot until Feb 22nd, so I am taking it to another place. Hoping it should be simple enough for whoever looks at it to just fix it.

Just venting!!!

Just venting!!!
FYI the radiator cap(stock) is absolutely crap...also it may the cause of the needle dance...there is a brand(cap) i use and its been a good modification...look on the YouTube channel of which cap to replace the stock with (eastcoastsrt) this man showed me a cap that pretty much eliminated that needle dance. If that dont work ...well take to the dealer but try the cap 1st

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI the radiator cap(stock) is absolutely crap...also it may the cause of the needle dance...there is a brand(cap) i use and its been a good modification...look on the YouTube channel of which cap to replace the stock with (eastcoastsrt) this man showed me a cap that pretty much eliminated that needle dance. If that dont work ...well take to the dealer but try the cap 1st
Thanks I will check it out

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don’t count out multiple things as well. Mine had a bad water pump (dripping from the weep), bad cap, and hole in the radiator (dripping down the side) all at the same time. Lol, the thermostat was probably bad as well, but I had just replaced it with a 192 about three weeks before everything else went to crap.
It has always amazed me how a fairly simple part as a thermostat can go bad in so many cars. I've had an agreement one fall within 3 months. Also read many posts of others failing after what send like a very short while. You would think there would be a business opportunity for somebody to make a better one

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don’t count out multiple things as well. Mine had a bad water pump (dripping from the weep), bad cap, and hole in the radiator (dripping down the side) all at the same time. Lol, the thermostat was probably bad as well, but I had just replaced it with a 192 about three weeks before everything else went to crap.
Good call! I have my doubts that it is just a radiator leak, but I will let them replace it because if it's leaking it for sure needs to be replaced. I will drive it and if it persists I will bring it back. I told them that I think it is the thermo or the pump. The advisor said that there would be a trouble code if it was. I. Doubtful because I've had both go out and there was no code... Pump was leaking so I smelled coolant and the reservoir was low. The thermo that went bad had similar symptoms.

Gotta wait till Monday to see

· Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
432 Posts
Good call! I have my doubts that it is just a radiator leak, but I will let them replace it because if it's leaking it for sure needs to be replaced. I will drive it and if it persists I will bring it back. I told them that I think it is the thermo or the pump. The advisor said that there would be a trouble code if it was. I. Doubtful because I've had both go out and there was no code... Pump was leaking so I smelled coolant and the reservoir was low. The thermo that went bad had similar symptoms.

Gotta wait till Monday to see
No codes were thrown when my pump, radiator and thermostat went bad. All 3 on different occassions.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Easy check on the thermostat. Recently changed mine as the temps were fluctuating and found it was in two pieces. View attachment 11700 View attachment 11701 View attachment 11702
The t-stat is a super easy job, I have done it on 2 previous srt jeeps I had. I almost just got a new one a replaced it myself, but I figured I paid for the service contract so why not use it. In a way I am glad I did because I did not see any leak in the radiator when I looked underneath.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Got the Jeep back today and the coolant smell is for sure gone. Idk if I just never paid close attention to the needle, but I could swear it was just stuck at about 3/8 mark. Driving it around and punching it it goes up to 1/2 mark, then back down to 1/4 and again to 3/8. So it seems to be moving around but for sure not over heating. They replaced the radiator as it was weeping. After I drove it for about 15 min hard on and off, the coolant level in the reservoir went down to fill level, so it seems there was still some air in there. So maybe that's why the temp fluctuation???

I ordered a new thermostat and cap and bought 2 gallons of antifreeze to replace the old stuff I had and I topped off the reservoir If it keeps acting up I will do the thermo myself and go from there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts