Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally quit procrastinating and went to 2 different dealers.
Dealer 1 was to test drive the trackhawk.
Dealer 2 was to test drive a SRT Jeep.

Drove both pretty hard, and was pretty surprised how fast the SRT felt.
Didn't feel many differences aside from the horsepower although the SRT felt a little rougher on the bad New England roads.

My question on the trackhawk, which had 50 miles on the ODO.
Its a leftover 18, not sure how long they have had it, I'm guessing a while.
The first time I got on it, there was a loud sound of what can be described as paper blowing in the wind. I thought I ran over something, but it did it again, and then went away. The sound was less than 2 seconds.
Not sure if its from it sitting for so long?
Does the power come on harder after more miles are on the trackahwk? I tried every mode.
Its fast, but I felt like it was lacking.
Maybe I've spoiled myself with the Demon?
I need to make a decision this week, leaning toward the TH because of the nice discounts, just concerned about how long it has sat, and the weird ass noise, and what I felt was not "holy **** acceleration"
And yes, both dealers put the **** front plate brackets on. *&()&&^%%&!!
I DO love the sting coat on the SRT, its a close match to my destroyer grey demon.

Here is the VIN on the TH if anyone has a resource for when it was built. I forgot to look in the door.
1C4RJFN9XJC351996

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
the srt has a lot of low end so it can fool you when it comes to power. If you drove the trackhawk multiple times you'd see the difference between the 2 pretty quickly. on a left over 18 if they dont give you 15K off sticker leave the dealership. Brigham Gill in Framingham Mass was offering 15k off all trackhawks from 2018. They advertised this before you even came with a trade so shop around. On another note get the Trackhawk unless budget is an issue, its way more dynamic for modifying because of the supercharger.

·
Banned
362 Posts
There "may be" something wrong with that particular TH, since if you drove them both pretty hard, the difference should have been huge. I drove Vettes for almost 20 years before switching to a SRT a few years ago. I was happy with the SRT since it was very close in performance to my last Vette. Then I bought a TH about a month after they came out and I'd describe the difference as absolutely awesome.

I couldn't tell you if there's much change in the power "feel" after a few more miles since I didn't really push mine until after 1k miles. If I remember correctly you can't use launch control until it hits 500 miles but that's just a worthless gimmick anyway, IMO. I can say that I didn't hit my best 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers until I had 25+k miles on mine. Although, that may be because I learned how to launch the beast better.

Maybe the one you drove was in valet mode? I understand that will cut the power and make it seem more like a SRT.

Maybe you should test drive another TH at another dealer? The performance difference should be unquestionable.

·
Registered
314 Posts
one thing to think about when test driving the T-Hawk, if you didnt switch it to sport mode the throttle is surpressed significantly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally quit procrastinating and went to 2 different dealers.
Dealer 1 was to test drive the trackhawk.
Dealer 2 was to test drive a SRT Jeep.

Drove both pretty hard, and was pretty surprised how fast the SRT felt.
Didn't feel many differences aside from the horsepower although the SRT felt a little rougher on the bad New England roads.

My question on the trackhawk, which had 50 miles on the ODO.
Its a leftover 18, not sure how long they have had it, I'm guessing a while.
The first time I got on it, there was a loud sound of what can be described as paper blowing in the wind. I thought I ran over something, but it did it again, and then went away. The sound was less than 2 seconds.
Not sure if its from it sitting for so long?
Does the power come on harder after more miles are on the trackahwk? I tried every mode.
Its fast, but I felt like it was lacking.
Maybe I've spoiled myself with the Demon?
I need to make a decision this week, leaning toward the TH because of the nice discounts, just concerned about how long it has sat, and the weird ass noise, and what I felt was not "holy **** acceleration"
And yes, both dealers put the **** front plate brackets on. *&()&&^%%&!!
I DO love the sting coat on the SRT, its a close match to my destroyer grey demon.

Here is the VIN on the TH if anyone has a resource for when it was built. I forgot to look in the door.
1C4RJFN9XJC351996

I feel the ECU has to learn your driving style. I didn’t push mine until after break in but after installing both my Cai and exhaust I had to reset the ecu each time because it didn’t feel as fast and was always in wrong gears. Could be the case here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did drive the trackhawk in all modes.
The build was 03/18.
As for the sound, the dealer had a tech drive it and said the noise was "feedback through the exhaust resonator which is normal under full power.

Here is a video of the sound
https://youtu.be/OcWXowaMSjA

·
Registered
412 Posts
The build was 03/18.
As for the sound, the dealer had a tech drive it and said the noise was "feedback through the exhaust resonator which is normal under full power.

That is perfectly normal on sound.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like something rattling or about to come off at the 2 second mark.
How does the sounds change when you add a CAI?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like something rattling or about to come off at the 2 second mark.
How does the sounds change when you add a CAI?
I have a green filter, and that definitely amplified the SC whine, but does nothing to the exhaust note... which is where that "rattling" comes from. I refuse to put a hot air, open element filter under the hood... but that's just me.

But that noise you're hearing is normal. I had a '15 SRT GC and put a supercharger on it. The TH is significantly faster than a stock SRT and even was faster than after the 6psi Magnuson blower was installed. If you're concerned (and I would be if they felt similar) then just do a 0-60 pull with the screen pulled up on the display. That will tell you. The TH is easily 1.3+ seconds faster to 60, stock for stock. Take both of them up to 1300rpm at a standing start and mat the gas... you should feel a significant difference in the two.

From a rolling punch, as big as this brick is, you're not going to feel the difference in power _as much_ as you would from a dig. Honestly, this vehicle is a great 0-80+mph rig. Once you're at speed, poor aerodynamics hurt it. That's why it runs good 1/4 ET, but only traps 117-119 or so.

Reactions: Black Track

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried the launch control, and a message popped up on the cluster "new vehicle" So I was unable to test it.
Im still negotiating on the TH, more than likely going that route! I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I tried the launch control, and a message popped up on the cluster "new vehicle" So I was unable to test it.
Im still negotiating on the TH, more than likely going that route! I appreciate the info!
I recognize full-well that you are accustomed to fast vehicles, so I'm preaching to the choir. :) But this is not a crazy top-end vehicle like your Demon is, or any car. It may be able to do 180+mph, but from 120 on up, it is going to take it awhile to get there.

Yes, you cannot use LC until 500 miles or whatever, but I never use it, regardless. My fastest times, consistently, are 1300rpm, great concrete surface, 40-50^F air...and let it rip. 0-60 in 3.1-3.2 over, and over, and over. If the temp drops into the 30s, then 1300rpm is too much... it will spin the tires. On 85-90^F days, it will run 0-60 in 3.4-3.5 consistently... so a little drop in power due to the poor DA we have here in N Texas during the summer.

I would get 4.5-4.6 second times with my SRT Jeep in good conditions.

Reactions: Black Track

·
Banned
362 Posts
The launch button is just a gimmick (joke) anyway, IMO. Honestly, as I've posted here before. I've tried just about every launch trick there is with the TH. Launch control w/various RMP settings, track mode, auto mode, power braking at various RMPs, etc, etc. I've found them all to about the same or within ~.2 sec difference to 60 or in the 1/4. Consistently, I get my best times by just leaving it in auto mode, turning off traction control and mashing the gas. No power braking or any of other gimmicks/tricks are needed. My best times/speeds "so far" using that method has been 0-60 in 3.0 and the 1/4 in 11.2 @122. I suspect I might be able to beat that at a track with a prep'd surface in very cold weather. Maybe....

So far, Ive not seen anyone post/claim better than that for a stock TH using any mode/method.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The build was 03/18.

My TrackHawk doesn’t make that sound in any form, not from a dig, launch or in any condition, although my SRT did sound like that at one point and the dealer found a couple of heat shields loose.

·
Registered
412 Posts
One doesn’t sound like that. Something isnt right with the rattling....
I swear mine sounds like that from time to time, and I have 7200 miles on mine in a one year span of ownership. But again... its a very short audio clip and my speakers on my desktop are circa 2000. LOL

Since installing the Borla exhaust a couple of weeks ago, I no longer hear anything to this degree.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The more I listen to it, it sounds like detonation/pinging in the upper revs. If the truck has sat for a long, long time (sounds like it has) and it has original gas in it... certainly could be some poor gas, and the PCM isn't able to pull timing quick enough (yet... it will learn around bad gas).

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'd suggest looking at the Perf Pages dyno graph. Do a few WOT runs from whatever speeds you feel comfortable, but definitely get a great 1-2 and 2-3 and 3-4 shift. The graph in mine tops 600 hp a bit at the shift-points. Looks like approx 610hp.

Oops, just remembered that's with the Green Filter installed, but it consistently showed 595-600 hp at the same shiftpoints with the stock filter and all else stock too.

If your TH isn't doing anywhere close to those numbers, something is wrong.

Agree with the others who've said to make sure you're in sport or track modes...in all the settings...for best perfs.

And no, that rattle is not right. If that's detonation we are hearing, it's REALLY loud and potentially bad news.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Definitely not a performance impacting noise. That is 100% the exhaust hitting the transmission brace. As for the performance, if the truck has been sitting there for a while it might just be a batch of bad gas which can make a big impact.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts