Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, super new to TrackHawks and I am very close to purchasing one. This may have been asked a million times on this forum, but what are the pros and cons? What would be the biggest thing that would bother me(besides fuel economy) or speeding tickets, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've never owned a Jeep/Chrysler/Ram product in my life so this would be a whole different thing for me. Of course I want to get the best of the best, lol. Thank you!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome to the gang! Yes, this has been discussed many times. Try a search on the site.

Basically, 95% of us love ours, and even though we gripe about a few little things, it's a great machine.

Some guys have had bad experiences with the dealers, and warranty claims.

Other guys have extensively modded theirs and had some engine failures.

I've owned my '18 since new and have enjoyed every mile. (It's stock except for green air filter and Forgeline wheels.)

Are you looking new or used?

What are you driving now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the gang! Yes, this has been discussed many times. Try a search on the site.

Basically, 95% of us love ours, and even though we gripe about a few little things, it's a great machine.

Some guys have had bad experiences with the dealers, and warranty claims.

Other guys have extensively modded theirs and had some engine failures.

I've owned my '18 since new and have enjoyed every mile. (It's stock except for green air filter and Forgeline wheels.)

Are you looking new or used?

What are you driving now?
Thanks for the reply! I had a 2019 Range Rover Full Size Supercharged brand new from the dealership, it was a good truck but after a year I got kind of bored of it. After a while I realized I had spent too much on it, lol(they're overpriced). Got rid of it and now am in between cars. There's 2 used ones at a local dealership here, one 2018 and the other 2020. One thing that I wonder is it something I want my wife to drive and hopefully not panic by its raw power since she'll also have the kids with her, lol. Of course I would love to mod it, but that would void the warranty, etc. Lots of random questions/thoughts I have :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wife loves to drive it but will never steps on it. It can purr like a kitten but step on it and it turns into a lion. Just have your wife test drive it with you. If she panics keep it for you. Mine is also stock with a K & N filter.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
55 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is somewhat on topic.....

What are some things to look for when buying used TH? My preference is to purchase one that has 100% bone stock engine (i dont mind an aftermarket intake). I think this could be helpful to the OP as well

I'm learning that Carfax/AutoCheck sometimes only tell half the story

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
55 Posts
Hey guys, super new to TrackHawks and I am very close to purchasing one. This may have been asked a million times on this forum, but what are the pros and cons? What would be the biggest thing that would bother me(besides fuel economy) or speeding tickets, lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've never owned a Jeep/Chrysler/Ram product in my life so this would be a whole different thing for me. Of course I want to get the best of the best, lol. Thank you!
There are a lot of folks out there who will complain and have had issues with FCA brand vehicles. I'm on my fourth now (2015 scat pack charger, 2018 durango RT, 2019 charger hellcat, 2021 durango RT) and I can honestly say I haven't had any major issues with any of the cars I've owned thus far.

·
Registered
258 Posts
One thing that I wonder is it something I want my wife to drive and hopefully not panic by its raw power since she'll also have the kids with her, lol.
My girlfriend drives hers almost every day. But, she's also used to having power on tap. As mentioned above, they are quite docile if you drive them that way.
Me, I really don't ever drive mine, so it's for sale. Not because it isn't a very fun car to drive, but because I don't drive it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My girlfriend drives hers almost every day. But, she's also used to having power on tap. As mentioned above, they are quite docile if you drive them that way.
Me, I really don't ever drive mine, so it's for sale. Not because it isn't a very fun car to drive, but because I don't drive it.
That's another thing I wonder about is why are there many TrackHawks at dealerships after only being driven like 7,000-12,000 kms at most? This is something else that makes me wonder. There was one at the dealership I saw and was gone within a week, 2 months later it was back at the dealership :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's another thing I wonder about is why are there many TrackHawks at dealerships after only being driven like 7,000-12,000 kms at most? This is something else that makes me wonder. There was one at the dealership I saw and was gone within a week, 2 months later it was back at the dealership :(
My guess is that there are many former TH owners who like to get the latest and greatest relatively often and possibly have switched out of the TH for something with updated tech and a nicer interior. I think another possibility is that some former TH owners moved onto another make in order to upgrade their dealership experience. Personally, my priority in a vehicle is its drivetrain...and the engine and transmission in the TH is awesome. I haven't had any serious issues with mine and I have actually had an okay experience at my dealership (not as good as my experience with BMW, but good enough for me). One small con to the TH is that the mechanical parking brake pedal takes up a space which is often a dead pedal area in newer vehicles where you can rest your left foot. Another small con is the bad image quality of the backup camera. I picked mine up in April of 2018 and am still in love with the looks and performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My guess is that there are many former TH owners who like to get the latest and greatest relatively often and possibly have switched out of the TH for something with updated tech and a nicer interior. I think another possibility is that some former TH owners moved onto another make in order to upgrade their dealership experience. Personally, my priority in a vehicle is its drivetrain...and the engine and transmission in the TH is awesome. I haven't had any serious issues with mine and I have actually had an okay experience at my dealership (not as good as my experience with BMW, but good enough for me). One small con to the TH is that the mechanical parking brake pedal takes up a space which is often a dead pedal area in newer vehicles where you can rest your left foot. Another small con is the bad image quality of the backup camera. I picked mine up in April of 2018 and am still in love with the looks and performance.
That makes sense, too. I figured a lot of people bought these and got sick of filling them up every other day, lol. I can imagine a lot of people are overwhelmed by their costs to own and keep in general 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
18 trackhawk
15 Posts
I’m a new TH owner and i must say this was the best purchase I made vehicle wise. The TH gets a lot respect in the streets. No complaints. Go for it bro. Good luck

·
Registered
18 trackhawk
15 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread but this is somewhat on topic.....

What are some things to look for when buying used TH? My preference is to purchase one that has 100% bone stock engine (i dont mind an aftermarket intake). I think this could be helpful to the OP as well

I'm learning that Carfax/AutoCheck sometimes only tell half the story
Low miles bro

·
Registered
7 Posts
I traded in my 2017 Ford Raptor for a 2019 Track Hawk and have had zero regrets. I took off all the badging and have had a few surprised BMW M series, Audis and Teslas that didn't know what they were in for when they were showing off and then got annihilated by a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've also had many thumbs up when people recognize what it is. The only con I have is the damn brake dust. I'm still running the original brakes and tires and have over 10,000 miles so far. Figure another 2,000 out of the tires. Oh and my Track Hawk is stock except for a K&N Filter. The WOW factor, even after two years still makes me smile ear to ear. Find a low mileage, stock Track Hawk and just buy it. I went to the Bondurant School in August and the instructors all said the Hellcat engine is bulletproof and takes all the abuse they give it in that Phoenix summer heat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's another thing I wonder about is why are there many TrackHawks at dealerships after only being driven like 7,000-12,000 kms at most? This is something else that makes me wonder.
In my case it's because I don't often get to just drive something. Usually I'm pulling a trailer. And when the weather is nice and I do get to transport only myself, I prefer driving the Challenger.
Or put a different way, I have too many fun vehicles.

I took off all the badging and have had a few surprised BMW M series, Audis and Teslas that didn't know what they were in for when they were showing off and then got annihilated by a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
That is one thing I really like about the 'Hawk. Once debadged, very few people know what it is and what it can do.
Increases the fun factor by a lot, I think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
People want it but can't pay for them.
or
They get bored of it.

Based on your previous replies, The quality might be a bit different than Range Rover you had. The power of the Trackhawk always puts a smile on your face tho.

·
Registered
82 Posts
One thing people don't realize if they haven't had any kind of high performance vehicle....especially one like this is the gas mileage! These things drink gas and that is an obvious known. I knew this when I got mine but because I don't have to do any long commutes to work and thus, I'm a ok with it. If I was driving 100miles a day to work then I would not have gotten one. I know one gent bought one and was driving 85kms each day to work and he was filling up every 2 or 3 days! He should have known better. He traded his in after about 9 months.

I have had mine a couple of years when I hit March and in all honesty, I love the thing like the first day I got it! I have been driving SRT vehicles since 2006 and that is all I have owned. They have all been fantastic.

Honestly, it's hard to get bored of a vehicle like this. The power being the main thing! It has so much utility as well. I carry my goalie equipment, the stuff for my band, kids hockey equipment, heavier or larger stuff that I need to bring and get. It's great!

My only gripes with this one.....no folding mirrors. Such a stupid omission on their part. I mean, would it have been that much of an extra cost? Also, the front headlights. Could they not have included the adaptive headlights? Again, poor choices on their part. Regardless, an awesome Jeep!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes, the around town mpg is pretty harsh. But, I owned a Ram SRT-10 and it was at least as bad. It did 7-8 mpg in town and no more than 11 EVER on the highway, even driving easily.

My TH can get 16 mpg (full tank average) on Los Angeles freeways as long as I keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One thing people don't realize if they haven't had any kind of high performance vehicle....especially one like this is the gas mileage! These things drink gas and that is an obvious known. I knew this when I got mine but because I don't have to do any long commutes to work and thus, I'm a ok with it. If I was driving 100miles a day to work then I would not have gotten one. I know one gent bought one and was driving 85kms each day to work and he was filling up every 2 or 3 days! He should have known better. He traded his in after about 9 months.

I have had mine a couple of years when I hit March and in all honesty, I love the thing like the first day I got it! I have been driving SRT vehicles since 2006 and that is all I have owned. They have all been fantastic.

Honestly, it's hard to get bored of a vehicle like this. The power being the main thing! It has so much utility as well. I carry my goalie equipment, the stuff for my band, kids hockey equipment, heavier or larger stuff that I need to bring and get. It's great!

My only gripes with this one.....no folding mirrors. Such a stupid omission on their part. I mean, would it have been that much of an extra cost? Also, the front headlights. Could they not have included the adaptive headlights? Again, poor choices on their part. Regardless, an awesome Jeep!
There are folding mirror kits out there if you got nothing else to modify. It might not be as 'Stock Stock' but they work. I'm not sure which forum I found this, but there is a tread out there someone describing on how to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OP - Yesterday was 2 years and 28k miles with my 2018 TH, following about 2.5 years and 45k miles in a 2015 Jeep SRT, which followed 25k miles in a 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland. They have been remarkably trouble free. Small issues with the TH were a fuel tank that made gassing up very slow when it was brand new (was a pinched vent - fixed in 1 day), then I got a CEL a few months ago (a random crack in a hose - also fixed in 1 day).

I absolutely love my TH (as I loved my SRT, too). They are so easy and almost gentle to drive in normal mode with a cautious throttle but who wants to do that?? It is an ANIMAL when you drive it like it was meant to be driven! They are the perfect size for my needs with plenty of interior room for passengers or for cargo. The comfort is superb on long drives, the upgraded stereo is very nice, and the ground clearance means you don't have to worry about angles of parking lot entrances (like in my GT350R - ugh!) or driving down dirt roads or parking barricades like you would in a car.

Downsides? The Pirelli all seasons are decent in terms of grip but don't last too long (18k miles on my 1st set) and there aren't too many quality options available. There are not many true performance brake pads available for them so your options are limited - I just received a set of pads from Demon Performance and they are not cheap (over $500 for the fronts). Will install them in the next couple of days. Other than that, sure the mpg is pretty terrible, easily single digits when driving like a clown, but it you can hold steady throttle even at 90, you can average 16-18mpg. It's when you are on a road trip and you stretches with no traffic and drop the hammer a few times that the mpgs really suffer. I am consistently around 10.5-11.5mpg for my around town driving, which is only 1mpg less than my Jeep SRT averaged.

I know that I keep mentioning my SRT Jeep and I will just tell you that you get all of the same good things with them that you do with the TH and for most driving, they feel pretty much the same. It's only when you find those big wide open spaces and go full throttle that you will notice a difference. Well, and the TH brakes are slightly better but that's about it. If you can't find a TH to your liking, definitely give the SRT a try. You would save a lot of money!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts