Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, have any of you guys that are pretty deep into mods thought about doing an aluminum exhaust on your TH? Or do you know of any other people that have installed an aluminum exhaust on their TH, maybe on youtube, FB or IG?

I had an aluminum exhaust on my old Evo & knew many other people that did also, zero issues. I ran a regular off the shelf stainless steel downpipe that we cut the 2 bolt flange off & welded a v-band flange to. From that point back was all aluminum. I know a couple other guys that ran custom titanium downpipes & the rest being aluminum. Obviously alum won't handle the heat directly of the turbo, etc. On another note the alum sounded awesome too, ran (2) straight through Vibrant alum mufflers & being that alum is a softer metal is seemed to absorb some of the sound. A full stainless steel exhaust built the same way, was much louder.

Yes, I understand we are driving around 5400lb tanks at high rates of speed. And being that the TH weighs so much maybe people don't really care about the weight savings of an alum exhaust. I've always enjoyed being a bit different & doing odd ball stuff to my vehicles that not everyone has. And I love weight reduction/light weight parts. A custom alum setup would be wayyyy cheaper than the current titanium setup that is on the market. I think GT Haus might be the only company with a titanium x pipe, catback/muffler setup for our TH & that setup starts over $9k!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add to the above post, one think I thought of was movement of the TH engine with stock motor mounts? One & off full throttle, I wonder if the motor would move too much that it would stress the exhaust hangers on an aluminum exhaust setup? Pretty much everyone I knew with an aluminum setup was running solid motor mounts & even upgraded, more solid poly exhaust hangers.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sounds like a lot for a sound. Money is better off going to pulleys. A lot of people get hung up on Exhaust. At the end of the day your paying for a sound that whatever company creates with their product at a ridiculous cost and a very minimal unnoticeable gain.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a lot for a sound. Money is better off going to pulleys. A lot of people get hung up on Exhaust. At the end of the day your paying for a sound that whatever company creates with their product at a ridiculous cost and a very minimal unnoticeable gain.
True, there are multiple different exhaust setups for our TH that can sound completely different. Material cost for an aluminum exhaust setup shouldn't be THAT much more than stainless steel. If done with v-band flanges, of course they will cost more. I think majority of the cost would come from labor, finding someone that is good at welding aluminum. Realistically an aluminum setup shouldn't cost that much more than a stainless setup, but could probably be half the weight! Just throwing out a random idea, haha...

I've known most of the STM guys for close to 10 years. Did a lot of business with them when I had my Evos. They sell aluminium exhausts for a couple vehicles. And they currently sell a stainless exhaust for the TH. Wonder if I can get them to make a similar setup in aluminum...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts