Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not familiar with SteriCycle, except as a biohazard disposal company.

How do they tie in with a lemon law car buy-back?

Please edumacate me, thanks.
Stericycle is a third party that FCA uses to initiate the buy back process. They are a joke to say the least.
Wonderful. Not looking forward to it. To add insult to injury, I picked up my TH yesterday, and the dealer scratched my front bumper. They owned up to it, but still.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Were there ever any updates here or two all the members that were suffering the same issue? Please advise, thank you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine developed a popping noise this past week with 22k miles on it. Today it has been repeatable by switching between drive and reverse or back. Also sometimes will hear it on a firm slowing of the Jeep. I’m thinking about having my wife switch back and forth with me listening outside but it may be hard to safely and easily find it without a lift. Are these cases from last year still unresolved?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
All of the posts does sound like a transfer case issue. The high torque and quick shifts can stretch the chain in the transfer case, or can wear the cogs making the u-shape holes larger giving the chain more room to play before full load tension. I had this issue on a land cruiser 100 and also a discovery 3. Used both a lot in offroad with trailer for hauling bobcats and mini excavators. Also another reason on the LC100 was wear on the front outer CV splines including the wheel hub. The trackhawk might be fighting for traction on the front and jerking the front driveline creating shocks on the splines.

Also might be the bushings for the rear diff. They might be getting soft and allowing more play.

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
10 Posts
Transfer Case Diagnosis

If a pop is heard when the vehicle is placed into 4WD, it’s caused by excess slack in the chain striking the case and then snapping back into position. To test a transfer case for excessive slack, place the vehicle in park and engage the parking brake. With the case locked in park, rotate the front or rear propeller shaft flange back and forth checking for play. There should be none or very little. Check with vehicle manufacturer’s specifications before proceeding. Worn or faulty bearings make a growling sound when they are spinning.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here’s my popping sound. Driver’s side only currently making the noise. Seems to be caused by the binding back and forth of the suspension. I put my stethoscope thing on it and heard it best in the axle and upper arm but that may be meaningless.

https://youtu.be/M_xjtBPlvg0

Hopefully this link works to my YouTube upload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here’s my popping sound. Driver’s side only currently making the noise. Seems to be caused by the binding back and forth of the suspension. I put my stethoscope thing on it and heard it best in the axle and upper arm but that may be meaningless.

https://youtu.be/M_xjtBPlvg0

Hopefully this link works to my YouTube upload.

Hi Matt,

I am also hearing a popping sound coming from my driver’s side front. It sounds like a faint aluminum can pop like in your video that can be heard when I leave a stop light and the radio is off or @ low volume. It doesn’t seem to happen every time I go from a stop, but it happens more times than not. To me, it sounds like it is also suspension related. I do have one of X-Pilot’s strut bar braces installed, and I thought about removing it to see if it goes away. I have about 8,300 miles on mine so far.

I have yet to put it on a lift to investigate further. The only time that I have noticed the pop while in motion is when I am going up my driveway at an angle and my passenger tire goes up before my driver’s side does. I want to try and diagnose it before I take it to the dealer to look at, but at this point I don’t think this is transfer case related.

Let me know if my situation sounds like yours.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Matt,

I am also hearing a popping sound coming from my driver’s side front. It sounds like a faint aluminum can pop like in your video that can be heard when I leave a stop light and the radio is off or @ low volume. It doesn’t seem to happen every time I go from a stop, but it happens more times than not. To me, it sounds like it is also suspension related. I do have one of X-Pilot’s strut bar braces installed, and I thought about removing it to see if it goes away. I have about 8,300 miles on mine so far.

I have yet to put it on a lift to investigate further. The only time that I have noticed the pop while in motion is when I am going up my driveway at an angle and my passenger tire goes up before my driver’s side does. I want to try and diagnose it before I take it to the dealer to look at, but at this point I don’t think this is transfer case related.

Let me know if my situation sounds like yours.

Sounds like it could be similar. If you get a chance to get a second person to help you, try putting on the e-brake, chock the rear tires, and have your helper push the brake and then alternate between drive and reverse every 5-10 seconds. You might be able to help localize the sound that way. Good luck and I’m interested to hear how yours turns out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like it could be similar. If you get a chance to get a second person to help you, try putting on the e-brake, chock the rear tires, and have your helper push the brake and then alternate between drive and reverse every 5-10 seconds. You might be able to help localize the sound that way. Good luck and I’m interested to hear how yours turns out.

Thanks Matt.

I will get my wife to help me with this to see if I can duplicate the sound while parked. Did you just slide your cell phone into the backside of the wheel to get that video?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check bushings, also might be a bushing from the sway bar. Try driving at a pace to swerve left-right multiple times and listen if you get the popping sound. Also with the TH off, take the wheel off, hold the axle with one hand and rotate the brake disc with the other, try and feel for play between the 2. Might be worn splines on the hub and axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this as well but haven't bothered to have the dealer look into it yet since the nearest dealer is over an hour drive away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update:
After 1 year of hearing a thump sound when slowing down from 30 to 15 mph the noise is gone. 1 dealer told me the noise was normal. 2nd dealer rebuilt my transfer case due to slack in the chain. Slack was causing the noise while downshifting. They said the Transfer case assembly was on backorder so rebuilt it instead. Perfect now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this more prevalent in track mode? I’ve noticed the downshift to 1st can be a tad abrupt but I don’t know about a thud.
I had that happening and found out it was my fault. It seems that I was unknowingly still applying a small amount of gas and that would make it jerk a little when stopping. Since I have relaxed the foot feed and the problem has subsided. Hope this helps.:sneaky:

61 - 76 of 76 Posts