Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tire pressures are you running? The factory recommended 33psi all round, a bit more or a bit less ?? Is anyone running Nitrogen in their tires?

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
Just running OEM spec but I’m not racing on them.

I’ve never really understood the nitrogen filled tire theory. It seems like CDA would be just as good since it’s really the moisture that causes the majority of pressure fluctuations with temperature changes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just running OEM spec but I’m not racing on them.

I’ve never really understood the nitrogen filled tire theory. It seems like CDA would be just as good since it’s really the moisture that causes the majority of pressure fluctuations with temperature changes.
I am led to believe that nitrogen keeps the pressures more stable or cconsistant

·
Registered
45 Posts
nitro

Hi,
I am using nitrogen in the factory supplied summer run flats. I am using 35 psi. In my lowly opinion, the advantage is it leaks out much slower that compressed air so you don't need to add the nitrogen as often as compressed air. Moisture or lack of it is a detail, as I don't think the rims are going to corrode like a cheap steel rim. Tire pressure monitors really make it easy to NOT waste money on a nitrogen fill, if you look at the readings, you know when to add air. I use nitrogen because it is free to me, from my work. I have seen shops charge $12 a tire for a nitro fill and to me, that is a rip off. Keeping tires at the correct air pressure means better millage and longer tire life.
Doug

·
Registered
220 Posts
I run 34 psi in the back and 36 psi in front, I get the best wear out of the tires running the fronts a couple psi higher than stated. When I tow my boat or load the back I’ll fill the rears to 36 psi.

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
If nitrogen permeated the tire less than oxygen (by any significant amount) then wouldn’t the tire eventually be filled with only nitrogen as the oxygen leaked out? It really seems like this is kind of pointless unless you are doing serious timed competitions. The more humid of an environment you’re in, the more you could justify the cost.

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
The more humid of an environment you’re in, the more you could justify the cost.
Agree, but then it depends on the cost too. I have ran Nitrogen for 10+ years and much prefer it as I do not have the need to refill / top off / adjust the fill as much as weather changes.

Is it because of the nitrogen or because of the clean dry air, not sure. I am definitely in a humid environment so it may very well be the latter.

I spent hours trying to research this years ago and every time I find "facts" that point one direction, I then find more "facts" that disprove them.

My real world experience for my vehicles in my environment is that filling with nitrogen reduces the variance in pressure I see on colder mornings and over a longer period of time. I have many times needed new tires due to tread wear before I had to add a single pound of air.

With all of that said, the first place I went to for Nitrogen wanted $25 / tire... If that was still my only option, no way, not anywhere near worth it.

But some places use nitrogen for free (Costco) and my current tire guy only charges $7 / tire (+ is at least $10 - $15 less per tire for mount and balance than the big stores so I still come out ahead).

In these situations, it is worth it to me. When / if I do have to add any air between tire changes though, I still just use compressed air.

Bottom line, I am an advocate, but would not pay a large sum of money for it either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts