Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a nice chunck out of the side wall of one of my tires. While it is a good size, the local tire shop said that it was border line structural. None of the cords are showing and it is right by the rim. They offered to warranty replace the tire (pro-rated of course) but I'm down to 5/32 on my tread deth so replacement all the way around is in my near future I would think. While I don't track it, I do drive pretty hard. It is a rear tire but I'd hate to have it blow. Any thoughts? Photos attached

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
What caused the gouge? The wheel doesn't look affected.

I'd agree with the tire shop that it's borderline on replacing it or not. I've driven with bigger chunks out of the sidewall of off road truck tires, but those are much stronger overall.

·
Banned
362 Posts
It doesn't look that bad to me (if it's a run flat) but I certainly wouldn't want to run it at high speeds with that divot. I probably wouldn't high speed it anyway with as little thread as you say you have. Time for a new set.

Personally there are two thing's I don't scrimp on with any of my vehicles. Tires and brakes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what the hell caused it but guessing maybe a curb nick (not by me of course). The tread is low and I can tell a diference in the rain from when it was new. I guess I should just take the warranty credit as a gift an swap them all out. I have been happy with the All Seasons and plan on putting the same shoes back on.
Thanks for your input

·
Banned
362 Posts
After a few incidents with "hydroplaning", I change my tries well before most probably would. Only takes one time for bad things to happen! One less thing to worry about.

In my experaince, the GC Jeeps SRT's and TH's with AWD do pretty well in the rain although I've felt "some" hydroplaning in heavy rain, it wasn't to bad. It was enough to make me slow down. Now my Corvettes were terrible about it. It was so bad I got to the point where I wouldn't drive my Vetts in the rain. YMMV....

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
Yeah, take whatever credit they’ll give u n get new tires. That gouge in the rubber isn’t anything (as far as I know) all the strength is in the belting and plys. All that rubber is to protect the belting but I didn’t see that it got that deep.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also feel that the the jeeps handle very weel in the rain. When I first purchased the jeep it had been raining for days. Of course I had to test it out (in a very open and safe location). I was able to punch it and have very little spin. It never used to hydroplane but the last couple of months I did notice it a few times. I suppose it is time for new shoes and my missing chunk was only a reminder.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
77 Posts
That is nuts! I have the inside of my tires up front turning to threads. Thinking it's due an alignment but anything else that might cause this or is it common on TH? Let me post a pic too when I get back to it. I noticed it at the Drag strip yesterday.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
242 Posts
That is nuts! I have the inside of my tires up front turning to threads. Thinking it's due an alignment but anything else that might cause this or is it common on TH? Let me post a pic too when I get back to it. I noticed it at the Drag strip yesterday.
[/QUO
Should rotate tires at least at 3500 miles or when ever you see wear or feathering. But you probably need a alignment.

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
164 Posts
Please be careful and change tires faster than neccessary. The picture is a TH which had 305’s all round hydroplanning Autobahn. If you go wider go to best tire you can afford. The wider you go less surface pressure you have which increases risk of hydroplanning.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
77 Posts
Please be careful and change tires faster than neccessary. The picture is a TH which had 305’s all round hydroplanning Autobahn. If you go wider go to best tire you can afford. The wider you go less surface pressure you have which increases risk of hydroplanning.
Holy ****. Helpful to know. Is everyone ok?!?!?!?!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts