Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have the summer tires on the black factory "light" rims. They are run flat tires. I picked up a long screw that ran into the tire, head first. Pressure went to zero but it stayed on the rim and I drove on it. I pulled the screw out and plugged it from the outside and that failed. Went to my local tire shop and he plugged it from the inside, had to do that twice because first inside plug also failed. He explained that run flats are very thick and a normal plug is not long enough. He also said you are supposed to replace the tire if you drive on it flat, but I did not do that. The tire is very stiff compared to a regular tire and difficult to get off the rim. You can see how scratched the rim got from taking off the tire, twice. I just got the rim painted to cover that. I would rather carry a plug kit and compressor than have tires you have to remove from the rim to fix. Plus run flats are very expensive. I have not looked for replacement tires yet because originals are not worn down enough but it won't be run flats. Any tire suggestions? In south Florida, we get no winter so all seasons are not needed. Best traction is needed. 3 images attached.
dbp

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Continental Extreme comes in our size and is a non-RF. $300 per tire compared to over $400 for the Pirelli RFs. Some will tell you that the extra thickness of the sidewall on the RF tire is preferred for our heavy SUVs. I have no experience with this, so I can't say for sure myself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would be pissed if a tire place scratched my rim. You should make them fix it and pay for it too. The employee probably didn't know how to use the machine correctly. If they didn't tell you that the rim could get scratched before they started, then it's their fault and they should pay.

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
Seriously! They have plastic covers that they should use when working on a finished surface, I’d be livid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts