Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
At the same time the others can do stage 1 or 2 also. The torque should help us push harder and faster than the others.
I am wondering how much the others transfer power to the rear only disengaging the front.
Yes you can upgrade others, but the money will be more with others as well. See when you upgrade Trackhawk you will be equal price-wise with others. So all in all, I would upgrade Trackhawk to make it equivalent price as others. I hope that makes sense. For some brands like Urus and Porsche it doesn't even make it close.

Example:
Trackhawk $100k + 20K for Stage 2 or 3 = 120k
BMW X5M Comp $120k as-is = 120k

^ Which car would be faster? You can't beat Trachawk price.

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Interesting video shoot-out. And fun to watch. But...

As a magazine performance test driver/racer for 25+ years, if it were my test, I'd have pointed out that having five different drivers opens up huge variables in terms of driving talent.

The Jeep driver pretty much was slowest to react, on each test. The instant torque of the TH engine is what had the TH moving out quickly. Not the driver being exactly on-time with the others.

And the "ready, set, go" type of testing also is full of driver variables.

Also, going by the speedometer to register top speed, in any test, is ridiculous. Porsches and BMWs are notoriously optimistic at high speeds. Often 5+ mph optimistic.

It's a cool comparison to watch. The Jeep and Lambo definitely run out of steam as the speeds climb, but that's about all you can take away from this.

Instrumented testing, with one top-quality driver helming each vehicle, for between 3 and 5 runs each, is the only way to get accurate numbers that give a true comparison.

So...what's holding the Jeep back in higher speeds? I'd have though aero, but that chart posted above in this thread shows (if accurate) that the Jeep has similar aero to the rest. However...coefficient of drag is calculated mostly by frontal area. Not (AFAIK) in actual driving. Wind tunnels are okay, but they won't show the amount of high speed aero lift on a vehicle. Perhaps this is plaguing the Jeep more than the others...thus creating more drag...and the slower accel.

Thoughts?
I totally agree with everything you wrote. The only point i was trying to proove was exactly mentioned by you “The Jeep and Lambo definitely run out of steam as the speeds climb”. From a dig, I have beaten all SUV’s on multiple occasions except for the Cayenne GT(haven’t seen one yet). I was shocked just how much the TH falls behind at speed. Something just doesn’t add up. The bimmer is 80hp and 100NMtorque down on us and it catches up as if the TH engine stalled.

The chart above is data I took from each make/brand website. So if they are lying, not much i can do about it.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes you can upgrade others, but the money will be more with others as well. See when you upgrade Trackhawk you will be equal price-wise with others. So all in all, I would upgrade Trackhawk to make it equivalent price as others. I hope that makes sense. For some brands like Urus and Porsche it doesn't even make it close.

Example:
Trackhawk $100k + 20K for Stage 2 or 3 = 120k
BMW X5M Comp $120k as-is = 120k

^ Which car would be faster? You can't beat Trachawk price.
Fully understand your point of view, and I have the same point of view when we compare the lot strictly to bang for the buck.
My issue is not value for money(which the TH hands down wins by a huge amount). I want to understand why such similar SUV’s with the TH most powerful of the bunch lags at higher speeds, when gearbox,power, drag coefficient and weight are so similar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

The TH starts to lack in the 90mph and above when starting from the line. I have raced many of the newer bmw X competitions, Urus and Cayenne’s. Off the line the TH is a beast but at around 90-100mph the competition starts to catch up.
At that speed aerodynamics should not be the issue, it feels like the TH doesn’t get enough air or the supercharger is limiting the airflow. We have at least 40hp and 74ft/lb of torque more than the rest, but for some reason they just pull a lot better.
The strange thing is that, when sitting next to eachother at around 100mph, the TH is the first to pull but than quickly falls behind.
Anyone with any reasoning to this behavior?
Supercharger has low end power and dies out top end. Turbos take time to spool up and then kill it on the top.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I agree, with modified engines.

But, comparing stock vs stock:
The TH's rating of 707 hp is at 6000 rpm. That's hardly dying out at the top.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its a brick bro. Aerodynamics start affecting a vehicle at 50-60 mph. Not sure where ur getting Aero isnt a factor at 100 mph?

Im about to do some mods and im hoping its "Car fast" from a roll afterwards lol cause their kinda lame in stock form from a roll for sure.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Its a brick bro. Aerodynamics start affecting a vehicle at 50-60 mph. Not sure where ur getting Aero isnt a factor at 100 mph?

Im about to do some mods and im hoping its "Car fast" from a roll afterwards lol cause their kinda lame in stock form from a roll for sure.
According to drag coefficient numbers they are all bricks. Of course Aero is a factor from around 50mph, but was referring to the minor difference between them at 100mph, when we are pushing the most torque.

What kind of mods are you planning?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yea I guess they are all bricks ur right lol.

Plans are a few bolt-ons: Magnuson 2650, AR Headers, PURR Titanium exhaust in Custom Blue, Methanol, Pulleys, Cortez ice tank, Outlaw axels, CF driveshafts, Front/Rear diff brace, 20 inch Velgens VF5, Titanium lug nuts, Nitto 555R2, Demon rotors, Sparco SPX CF front seats, Rear seat delete, CF Steering wheel w/CF shifter, CF Battery, Every AAD suspension parts front/rear, All CF and body pieces available from Chad at Black Ops. Already has air ride and a Legmaker and some CF pieces.

I was gonna do heads and cam and a 426 but I didnt want to ruin it as its my DD. I have other toys to ruin lol. Basically, I plan on dropping about 400 lbs and adding 300 hp or so.

I just had a system installed with Focal Utopia M series front speakers and Sub with Audison amps and a Helix pro DSP. The whole system probably added 40 lbs as I placed amps under rear seat delete so I still saved weight with the rear seat delete as I used very light materials for the deleted seat. Sub is in stock location with custom box. The Focal M sub only requires .035 air space to work with so the footprint was tiny. Rear seats weighed like a 100 lbs if I remember correctly.

Probably run on 93 usually. It already has fuel upgrades. Gas mileage is awful enough as it is lol so I wanted something that could make good power on 93 octane.

Automotive tire Steering part Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

According to drag coefficient numbers they are all bricks. Of course Aero is a factor from around 50mph, but was referring to the minor difference between them at 100mph, when we are pushing the most torque.

What kind of mods are you planning?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yea I guess they are all bricks ur right lol.

Plans are a few bolt-ons: Magnuson 2650, AR Headers, PURR Titanium exhaust in Custom Blue, Methanol, Pulleys, Cortez ice tank, Outlaw axels, CF driveshafts, Front/Rear diff brace, 20 inch Velgens VF5, Titanium lug nuts, Nitto 555R2, Demon rotors, Sparco SPX CF front seats, Rear seat delete, CF Steering wheel w/CF shifter, CF Battery, Every AAD suspension parts front/rear, All CF and body pieces available from Chad at Black Ops. Already has air ride and a Legmaker and some CF pieces.

I was gonna do heads and cam and a 426 but I didnt want to ruin it as its my DD. I have other toys to ruin lol. Basically, I plan on dropping about 400 lbs and adding 300 hp or so.

I just had a system installed with Focal Utopia M series front speakers and Sub with Audison amps and a Helix pro DSP. The whole system probably added 40 lbs as I placed amps under rear seat delete so I still saved weight with the rear seat delete as I used very light materials for the deleted seat. Sub is in stock location with custom box. The Focal M sub only requires .035 air space to work with so the footprint was tiny. Rear seats weighed like a 100 lbs if I remember correctly.

Probably run on 93 usually. It already has fuel upgrades. Gas mileage is awful enough as it is lol so I wanted something that could make good power on 93 octan
View attachment 9790 View attachment 9791
Damnnnnn Is that all?(just kidding)1000hp at the wheels or crank? I have been looking at forza tuning’s stage 4r package. Only issue i have is that i have to ship tue TH from Romania to USA and back, and right now shipping is really expensive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lol yea thats it. Its just bolt-on crap. Im so use to sleeving motors and building trans and rear ends this thing is awesome cause its pretty fast with just bolt on crap and pretty reliable.

Forza is a solid choice but there are others. They just seem to advertise better than others with their utube channel but I like Brendon he seems very honest and doesnt BS anyone.

Tune Time in NJ is just as good if not better with this platform. They have done a lot of Magnusson set ups and have some of the fastest TH's in the country and have a lot of experience tuning them. They all do the same **** when it comes to the factory blower. They get them ported by Jokers or someone similar. There are no proprietary parts being used its just bolt on ****.

Wow Romania huh isnt that were Dracula lives? lol. Geez I thought I had it bad with the shop 3 hours away. Shipping would probably cost $4000-$5000 or so if not more I bet.

Damnnnnn Is that all?(just kidding)1000hp at the wheels or crank? I have been looking at forza tuning’s stage 4r package. Only issue i have is that i have to ship tue TH from Romania to USA and back, and right now shipping is really expensive.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts