Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a compatible (both mechanically and aesthetically within the driver compartment) electronic trailer brake control module? I have searched unsuccessfully since March of this year. The promotional information indicates that my Trackhawk can tow up to 7,200 pounds, but any trailer in that weight range requires an electronic brake control. My local dealer checked with Mopar and no controller was available. The jeep.com website responded in March that no such unit was produced or even available. I checked the local trailer dealer and they reported no compatible unit. I called to speak with a live representative today and he could not comprehend what I was asking (unfortunately Jeep/Chrysler apparently outsources these questions overseas, because he could hardly understand or speak in the English language either-- but that was not his fault). He said that he would check with my local dealer and I explained three times that the dealer had already checked with factory suppliers. When I requested to speak with a supervisor, he said yes and put me on hold for 20 minutes before hanging up. If this is the nature of Jeep service at the factory level, I am very disappointed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Everything is hidden besides the small circular controller that you can mount either in the dash or center console by the shifter. All the reviews I have read were positive on this unit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a Tekonsha P3. Its mounted at my right knee, which isn't ideal, but it works just the same on my TH as it did on my Summit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here ya go. I already ordered my unit and I heard it is awesome.

Just finished install today.. Basically installed it just like etrailer did theirs off a YouTube video.

I wanted to put the knob on the blank black space under launch control. But unfortunately when I opened it up there was no way to do it.. All those buttons including the dial are in a sealed unit. Two complications arose when I opened the unit. The depth of the unit was not deep enough for the back of the brake controller knob piece. The other problem was the cover underneath. When I unscrewed it I noticed the whole lid looked the a computer video card. Apparently it was the LED lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just finished install today.. Basically installed it just like etrailer did theirs off a YouTube video.

I wanted to put the knob on the blank black space under launch control. But unfortunately when I opened it up there was no way to do it.. All those buttons including the dial are in a sealed unit. Two complications arose when I opened the unit. The depth of the unit was not deep enough for the back of the brake controller knob piece. The other problem was the cover underneath. When I unscrewed it I noticed the whole lid looked the a computer video card. Apparently it was the LED lighting.
I’ve never bought a vehicle with a hitch before. Is this industry standard that you need to modify for this after purchase? Or do some tow packages come with it from the factory? I’m obtuse when it comes to towing. I ordered the tow package because I thought it’d be good to have for resale, but I’ve never had the need to tow so far.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I trailered 2 ATV’s on a 2000 lb car hauler over the weekend, so maybe 3500 lbs only. It towed better than my 5.7L Summit did. I was very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts

I’ve never bought a vehicle with a hitch before. Is this industry standard that you need to modify for this after purchase? Or do some tow packages come with it from the factory? I’m obtuse when it comes to towing. I ordered the tow package because I thought it’d be good to have for resale, but I’ve never had the need to tow so far.
In California, if you Tow a trailer Over 3500lbs The law requires that your trailer be equipped with brakes. In order for the trailer brakes to work you need a trailer brake controller installed in the vehicle used for towing. The controller sends an electronic signal through the 7 pin wiring harness to activate the brakes of the trailer. There’s nothing you need to do manually as the signal works every time you push the brake pedal in the vehicle.

If you have a surge brake trailer, it works differently. No brake controller is needed. Surge brakes work mechanically with the coupler that goes over the ball of the hitch.

Several vehicles, primarily trucks that have tow packages have built in brake controllers. Unfortunately, the Trackhawk does not. Although it does have sway control but not brake control.

It’s a world of difference when you tow especially if you have a trailer that has considerable weight. Stopping distance is greatly improved and you are saving the brakes on your Trackhawk since they don’t have to work as hard as the trailer is assisting the braking.

·
Registered
485 Posts
+1 for Surf City Dan.

I haven't towed with mine yet, and am eager to hear everyone else's experiences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This electronic brake controller is great. I too did not want to attach a controller or alter the interior. With this actuator it plugs into trailer lights plug for power and is permanently mounted to the trailer tongue. The controller communicates with the brake actuator via RF. The controller plugs into the cigarette lighter in your vehicle for power.

Very easy, no mess install! Available from etrailer and others. It works great on the 3500 lbs I tow.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts