Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my Track Hawk on the rack the other day doing an oil change and I noticed a dent in the exhaust pipe. The dent is located just past the suitcase muffler on the passenger side. Looks like this would bottle neck the exhaust and kill some HP. Anyone else notice this on their TH?

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had my Track Hawk on the rack the other day doing an oil change and I noticed a dent in the exhaust pipe. The dent is located just past the suitcase muffler on the passenger side. Looks like this would bottle neck the exhaust and kill some HP. Anyone else notice this on their TH?
This is normal - the indention allows access to the bolt above.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers...looks like it reduces the diameter of the pipe by 30-50%...Better way may have been to make a removable section of pipe...but maybe it isn't hurting as bad as it looks..

·
Registered
67 Posts
FCA says that costs 5 ft !b of torque. Or ~ 1%. You can lose that with an ambient temperature change.

DDave
The restriction is pretty significant - I didn't notice it until I had my exhaust swapped to the MagnaFlow cat back and thought holy $#[email protected] - that's a big deal. I don't have (nor have I seen) any dyno results to show a gain with any of the cat-back systems, and I didn't expect anything but a better sound - until I saw that. I wonder what the hp loss is, seems like there'd have to be one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
FCA says that costs 5 ft !b of torque. Or ~ 1%. You can lose that with an ambient temperature change.

DDave
The restriction is pretty significant - I didn't notice it until I had my exhaust swapped to the MagnaFlow cat back and thought holy $#[email protected] - that's a big deal. I don't have (nor have I seen) any dyno results to show a gain with any of the cat-back systems, and I didn't expect anything but a better sound - until I saw that. I wonder what the hp loss is, seems like there'd have to be one.
Do you have any videos of the Jeep with the magnaflow cat back? Cold start and rev. Possible drive by, how does it sound?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep - this is exactly the sound I was after. You can't tell in the clip really, but it is a tad louder than stock, but way more bass and no raspy/tinny sound like the stockers. There is no sound in this world better than a 80's-90's 5.0 Mustang with 2 chamber Flowmasters dumped at the axle, but I'm almost 50 now, so that's a no go. Still, that's the "tone" I love and was after.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yep - this is exactly the sound I was after. You can't tell in the clip really, but it is a tad louder than stock, but way more bass and no raspy/tinny sound like the stockers. There is no sound in this world better than a 80's-90's 5.0 Mustang with 2 chamber Flowmasters dumped at the axle, but I'm almost 50 now, so that's a no go. Still, that's the "tone" I love and was after.
Any cabin drone? The reason I went with Borla on my SRT was the fact that they had the drone issue figured out. I'm waiting for their release but yours looks and sounds great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went with the American Racing Headers (ARH) cat back. Had it built without the resonators. I wanted the old school sound so went with an H pipe system instead of an X pipe. I had the Borla and later a Solo exhaust on my 2008 SRT8. The Borla had a drone that I eventually got tired of and the Solo did not have a drone but was raspy. (both X pipes)

On my 2017 SRT I installed the Kooks cat back, it does not have resonators and flowed nicely but had an X pipe and was a bit too raspy under WOT for my taste. Was very good quality.

IMO the stock Trackhawk system sounds great at start up and at idle but is raspy at WOT. I hate rasp. On the Trackhawk I went with the ARH, the S/S tubing is very thick and the H pipe makes the sound I was after. Very deep at idle & cruise and most important to me is no rasp at WOT. Impressed by the ARH muffler technology, It's a bit pricey for a cat back - $600 more than the magnaflow and $700 more than the Solo, the Kooks is about the same cost as the ARH. I did not go for the Kooks on the TH as I thought it would be quieter than stock at start up and idle and the rasp issue. The OEM TH exhaust uses the SRT dodge durango mufflers, the SRT GC mufflers are much quieter than the durango.

I took a chance getting the ARH as all the videos I could find were ARH on the 6.4 SRT motor. Im very pleased with the ARH.

Finally, exhaust sound is very subjective. In my mustang and cobra days (1989-2016) I had every possible mid pipe and cat back I could find. Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Bassani, MRT, Borla, etc LOL

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went with the American Racing Headers (ARH) cat back. Had it built without the resonators. I wanted the old school sound so went with an H pipe system instead of an X pipe. I had the Borla and later a Solo exhaust on my 2008 SRT8. The Borla had a drone that I eventually got tired of and the Solo did not have a drone but was raspy. (both X pipes)

On my 2017 SRT I installed the Kooks cat back, it does not have resonators and flowed nicely but had an X pipe and was a bit too raspy under WOT for my taste. Was very good quality.

IMO the stock Trackhawk system sounds great at start up and at idle but is raspy at WOT. I hate rasp. On the Trackhawk I went with the ARH, the S/S tubing is very thick and the H pipe makes the sound I was after. Very deep at idle & cruise and most important to me is no rasp at WOT. Impressed by the ARH muffler technology, It's a bit pricey for a cat back - $600 more than the magnaflow and $700 more than the Solo, the Kooks is about the same cost as the ARH. I did not go for the Kooks on the TH as I thought it would be quieter than stock at start up and idle and the rasp issue. The OEM TH exhaust uses the SRT dodge durango mufflers, the SRT GC mufflers are much quieter than the durango.

I took a chance getting the ARH as all the videos I could find were ARH on the 6.4 SRT motor. Im very pleased with the ARH.

Finally, exhaust sound is very subjective. In my mustang and cobra days (1989-2016) I had every possible mid pipe and cat back I could find. Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Bassani, MRT, Borla, etc LOL
Do you have any video clips of the sound of the ARH catback system? Startup, idle and driving it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do not. Sorry

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any cabin drone? The reason I went with Borla on my SRT was the fact that they had the drone issue figured out. I'm waiting for their release but yours looks and sounds great.
Zero drone. That was one thing I was concerned about too - but spoke with a few guys who had it on SRTs and 2 that had it on a TrackHawk - REALLY glad I went with this kit. It's reasonably priced compared to some of the others and super high quality. I think Magnaflow is under-rated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds great. So you said there is no in cab drone? I had a Magnaflow on a 2006 Charger SRT I owned and it droned like a, well, you know...Does the Magnaflow do away with the dent in the pipe this thread covered?
The Magnaflow is all nice smooth bends. 3" S.S. throughout - super high quality. No cabin drone at all, but you can definitely hear it more than the stock exhaust. When I first put that clip out a lot of guys thought it sounded too quiet and that it was quieter than stock - it definitely isn't. I think the more deep, mellow sound from this system doesn't show up in audio like treble does.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts