Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading several threads out here and on other forums regarding drive modes during break in. The general consensus seems to be that new owners are skeptical about engaging track mode during break in.

I was wondering why that is the case. I feel as long as you maintain prescribed speed limits/rpm levels during break in, it doesn’t matter which mode you select. Of course aggressive braking needs to be avoided as well.

Did any of you use different drive modes? Or was it default/ Street mode all the way till you hit 500?

·
Super Moderator
225 Posts
I actually did Eco mode / Auto for the first 100, figured it would help me keep my foot out of it if the power was reduced anyway. 100-300 I have been mixing it up in all drive modes and a custom mix.

I had considered staying in Eco but the engines are already broken in some, most of the break in period (in my opinion) is for the drive train and staying in Eco keeps you out of first gear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had a relatively long drive from the dealership and logged in about 55 miles on that trip. Yes I drove exclusively on street mode for the first 100 miles. Eco only during traffic snarls. After 100 and until 300 I was predominantly using sport (track once in a while). 300 onwards I was employing track and custom, since you need to exercise the entire rpm spectrum.

Track is so addictive and makes the exhaust and the SC whine more pronounced. There is no other mode which can do justice to this car. There is always a comfort trade off, driving in track mode but you could always customize your individual preferences by selecting street suspension and everything else track. I read somewhere that street suspension is slightly more forgiving to the transfer case as well.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a relatively long drive from the dealership and logged in about 55 miles on that trip. Yes I drove exclusively on street mode for the first 100 miles. Eco only during traffic snarls. After 100 and until 300 I was predominantly using sport (track once in a while). 300 onwards I was employing track and custom, since you need to exercise the entire rpm spectrum.

Track is so addictive and makes the exhaust and the SC whine more pronounced. There is no other mode which can do justice to this car. There is always a comfort trade off, driving in track mode but you could always customize your individual preferences by selecting street suspension and everything else track. I read somewhere that street suspension is slightly more forgiving to the transfer case as well.
I'm enjoying the customization... I did not have this on my '15 SRT. I agree Track is great, but with the suspension in Track it really needs to be on a perfectly paved open road course. It will beat you to death on even quality concrete city surfaces. So, Track or Sport for trans/engine is what I will run in, but leave the suspension in Auto... when i want to drive spiritedly. Otherwise, full Auto is fine for cruising. :) It's a very cool feature to be able to tailor things to your driving wants/needs/habits almost instantaneously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts