Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pirelli summer tires wore out fast on the track. Any recommendations for a good track tire (road course, not strip)? I'm thinking about Nitto 315/35/20, but am worried about rubbing. Not finding much available in the stock size 295/45/20.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
My Pirelli summer tires wore out fast on the track. Any recommendations for a good track tire (road course, not strip)? I'm thinking about Nitto 315/35/20, but am worried about rubbing. Not finding much available in the stock size 295/45/20.
NT01 for road coarse only
NT555 for street - road coarse!
IMO for street-road would be PZero Corsa.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nitto rep suggested the NT05s for the track, but the only size they have that can take the TH's weight is the 315/35/20. Not sure if going that much wider will give me problems with tire rub when cornering or otherwise throw anything off like the ESC etc....

I've seen a couple THs with NT05R drag radials, but those are all about the straight line. I don't think those'll work on the track.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm beginning to think the same thing. But it is phenomenal on the track. Stays so well planted in the corners and then 707 hp roars out of the turns. And turns more heads than all the exotics out there b/c nobody expects you...

·
Registered
267 Posts
NT05 for the 1/4 mile.

I would NOT track a 5500 Lbs Suv with a S/S (street slick) tire like that, the lack of sidewall will be an enormous issue and you will lose any type of precise steering at speed. I ran my ctsv with that tire and the mickey et street SS and almost killed myself! The mickeys made for a 10.2 1/4 tho!!

As for tire size, if your sticking with the 20's your stuck with the 295/45 or the 315/35 (much shorter tire).

in the 315 you have the MPSS which would definitely be the best track tire IMO. (I have them in the 22" on my jeep. Phenomenal), or the PZERO.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...d=AL!3756!3!304470776793!b!!g!!&affiliate=HM5

in the stock size your stuck without a premium summer non runflat tire. the stock pzero runflat is a good tire of course. and there is the Michelin Pilot a/s3 , it is an all season but it is a high performance all season and I also run those on my CTSV for the street and they have monster grip for an A/S, obviously tho not perfect tire for the track.

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
You actually track the jeep? GoPro that ish. I can’t afford the tires to do that.
Right 1 set of tires each trip and im not sure how long the rotors will last either with the hard braking? I guess at least we dont have to pay for carbon ceramics yikes.
there is a race school that has a good deal right now, you get to do the class in one of their cars and at the end you can run yours. I wouldn't mind beating someones car and then getting a lap or two in my own

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
You know there’s a class included with the jeep purchase right? It’s in Phoenix.
of coarse I didnt, lol I bought this thing on a whim. I had all my Ducks in a row to buy new platinum Escalade add Magnuson 2650 SC and Willwood Brake set up.
My buddy called and said TH were prety good discounts so drove over and bought it pretty much. lol I knew about them from before but not much lol I will look into that though thank you again for the 7th time you helped me. lol

·
Super Moderator
1,443 Posts
No worries, that’s the whole point of the forum. You put brake pads on yet? I put on powerstop pads and no more dust. There a thread on here about them, search brake dust
I seen the power stop thread. I was going to get the Demon racing rotors and pads they use. Money is not being nice to me so Demon has to wait. I must agree the dust on the TH is insane and the PS pads will be next. prob same timer I install the Bwoody suspension.
did you go with 23s or 26s I was reading both work

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
I grabbed 26’s for the rear before they released the fronts. They only make the fronts in 23’s or at least that’s how it was 6 months ago. I’d just get 23’s all around because the rears squeal for the first few blocks each day

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NT05 for the 1/4 mile.

I would NOT track a 5500 Lbs Suv with a S/S (street slick) tire like that, the lack of sidewall will be an enormous issue and you will lose any type of precise steering at speed. I ran my ctsv with that tire and the mickey et street SS and almost killed myself! The mickeys made for a 10.2 1/4 tho!!

As for tire size, if your sticking with the 20's your stuck with the 295/45 or the 315/35 (much shorter tire).

in the 315 you have the MPSS which would definitely be the best track tire IMO. (I have them in the 22" on my jeep. Phenomenal), or the PZERO.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...d=AL!3756!3!304470776793!b!!g!!&affiliate=HM5

in the stock size your stuck without a premium summer non runflat tire. the stock pzero runflat is a good tire of course. and there is the Michelin Pilot a/s3 , it is an all season but it is a high performance all season and I also run those on my CTSV for the street and they have monster grip for an A/S, obviously tho not perfect tire for the track.

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to get the Michelin sport cup 2, but they don't come in TH size. I'll look into the MPSS and Pilot a/s3, but I wonder if it'd be like the pzeros I had --- plenty of tread left, but they feathered.

I think street slicks would be better to prevent that. But I don't want to die. Isn't the NTO5R the Nitto tire for the strip -- no sidewall support -- and the NT05 for the track with sidewall support?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to get the Michelin sport cup 2, but they don't come in TH size. I'll look into the MPSS and Pilot a/s3, but I wonder if it'd be like the pzeros I had --- plenty of tread left, but they feathered.

I think street slicks would be better to prevent that. But I don't want to die. Isn't the NTO5R the Nitto tire for the strip -- no sidewall support -- and the NT05 for the track with sidewall support?

ooo ya its the nt05r I had. your right about the nt05. BUT it is still a soft tire, but dropping down to the 35 profile should keep that tire much more stable.

that nt05 is more of a track tire and very soft(150 treadwear or so), similar to sport cup 2. where as the MPSS is a bit stiffer of rubber at like 250/300 treadwear which will last a bit longer and "roll" a bit less in the corners. tracking it, nt05, cheaper and more track-centric. going from the street to track on the same tire and want more than 2k miles? then MPSS. in rain the MPSS are freakishly predictable and good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The NT05 looks like the right track tire (that's sure what the Nitto rep said!) and I'm hoping the 315/35 set up doesn't give me problems. I think I'll wind up getting those just to switch to at the track and get the Michelins for the street or maybe the Continental Extreme Contact DW06s which have also been recommended to me. (Anyone have an opinion on those?)

And then I'll probably have to get a second mortgage on the house...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts