Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a clicking noise from the front rotors when applying brakes, I have at least 60% on the pads still 23k (kilometers) on it , cant figure out where its coming from. any help would be great NO hard track driving at all

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm getting a clicking noise from the front rotors when applying brakes, I have at least 60% on the pads still 23k (kilometers) on it , cant figure out where its coming from. any help would be great NO hard track driving at all
Try this.... Sounds odd, but I had the same issue until I cleaned my wheels & rotor hub.

·
Registered
147 Posts
^ If that's not the clicking noise you're hearing, but some other clicking noise. Usually other clicking noise is from the rotors/pads combination. Usually slotted rotors and harder pads make lots of small clicking noise when applying the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
64 Posts
Guys my 06 Vanquish S had the exact same problem only louder than the TH. Pretty embrassing with the Aston because it was so loud. The main fix was to change the springs between the rotors and hubs. It is a known problem/issue with floating disc brakes. The above video is kind off bull because the clicking sound is from the rotors moving side to side within the caliper and the spot for the rotor to move is the screw and spring connection with the hub/bell.
Within 10,000kms i changed the front discs 4 times because of the clicking on my Aston, the problem was finally solved using aftermarket springs with oem discs. I am guessing that taking apart the bell hub from the disc and gaining access to the springs, screws and the non-threaded holes and giving them a thorough clean from brake dust will eliminate the clicking for a while. Just remember that you should change the screws and springs when doing such a job, your life depends on those brakes.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not trying to disprove your experience, but please read some of the comments on the youtube video before you dismiss this... People have found if you keep the rotor hat and wheel clean from corrosion and brake dust, the clicking noise goes away for a period of time. There was one guy with a brand new car that got the clicking to go away by just re-clocking the wheel to the hub and re-torqueing the lug nuts (since his wheel & rotor hat were already clean). I suggest using Powerstop pads for less dust, and applying some anti-seize to the rotor hat to help prevent corrosion from forming. I don’t have anymore clicking coming from my rotors after doing this.

I also thought it was only related to the springs/hardware that bolts the rotor disc to the hat until I found this video. I am confident it still is related to the hardware as the only thing that is moving (floating) is the rotor disc. I have no clue why this works, but most people can try this at home without taking into the dealer. From my understanding the hardware is a one-time use and it has to be installed using a IN/Lbs torque wrench which some people don’t have but they can buy one.

BTW,
There is a service bulletin out for this where it is recommended to clean the wheel & rotor hat and install a friction disc set on both sides of the rotor hat. I assume this is to help prevent future corrosion from the dissimilar metals…?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
There are a few things that can cause the clicking noise and noises are never fun to try and track down.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There are a few things that can cause the clicking noise and noises are never fun to try and track down.
True, but the brakes are easy to trouble shoot for most people at home and would be a good starting point before taking it to the dealer.... (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts