Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They don't call these multi-purpose vehicles for nothing. Early into the morning on Saturday 12/15 during a storm in Saint Louis, my jeep decided to protect the pavement from a falling tree limb. The branch was every bit of 50 lbs and landed with one end hitting my windshield and another end hitting the front of my hood. In addition, several other branches fell onto my roof. I now have several sizeable dents on the hood and roof of my car and a windshield that mirrors and iPhone screen after being dropped.

Branch photo

6-inch hood dent

Cracked windshield

What I woke up to Saturday morning

Geico insurance estimator came out yesterday and estimated a measly $1,500 for the repair. I told him to check his math because the hood alone is most likely more than that. I doubt there is anyway in heck they will be able to "buff" that out from the hood considering it broke through the clear coat and paint and the dent is enormous.

Anyways, I will see what the body shop says when I take it in. Regardless, I decided to find something positive out of it and purchased the Sniper Hood from Black Ops Auto Works. I plan to paint match it assuming I like it on the vehicle when I get it. Cheers.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to see all that!

Hope they fix it properly.

Post a pix with the new Sniper hood.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch! Sorry to see all that!

Hope they fix it properly.

Post a pix with the new Sniper hood.
Yeah made sure to do my due diligence on the shops around town. But, I will most certainly be inspecting the final product upon completion.

Seems like you have a great attitude regarding this terrible miss fortune. Good luck with the repairs and the new Sniper hood.
Unfortunately that's all I can do. No sense in getting worked up over something I can't control. Thank you both for the response and I will be sure to post up pics after!

·
Banned
362 Posts
I think I might rather have the hood repaired or a guarantee that they are using a new hood from FCA. I had a hood replaced once on a Camaro and they used an after market hood. Rusted out in a couple of years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think I might rather have the hood repaired or a guarantee that they are using a new hood from FCA. I had a hood replaced once on a Camaro and they used an after market hood. Rusted out in a couple of years.
This is a good point, here in New Jersey Geico likes to use after market parts. Be careful and get OEM original parts for your 100K ride.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It hurts me as well to see this, especially as I have a White TH. Good Luck!
It is definitely not a pretty sight.

I am going through the stealership where I purchased my jeep to get the work done and asked them to order a replacement hood from FCA.

This is a good point, here in New Jersey Geico likes to use after market parts. Be careful and get OEM original parts for your 100K ride.
Yeah definitely a good point.

Get the Demon Hood!
Thought about it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with a few other members in that keeping the original hood would be ideal. The dent is large, but depending on the skill of the shop and the type of access behind it, it could possibly be repaired and repainted instead of buying a new hood. I can't see many pictures of the roof, but it's likely repairable judging by the size of the branch and the windshield replacement shouldn't be too bad. $1500 is probably a bit light, but if it were me personally, I'd be most interested in finding the best body shop to do the repair work hoping the hood is repairable instead of needing to be replaced. So sorry that happened to your TH, but you have a great attitude about it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
$1500 is too low, but if you pay more insurance will normally compensate you for the difference if you provide them with a paid invoice. My biggest concern, if I were you, is the roof. A hood and windshield can be replaced with ease, a roof can’t.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with a few other members in that keeping the original hood would be ideal. The dent is large, but depending on the skill of the shop and the type of access behind it, it could possibly be repaired and repainted instead of buying a new hood. I can't see many pictures of the roof, but it's likely repairable judging by the size of the branch and the windshield replacement shouldn't be too bad. $1500 is probably a bit light, but if it were me personally, I'd be most interested in finding the best body shop to do the repair work hoping the hood is repairable instead of needing to be replaced. So sorry that happened to your TH, but you have a great attitude about it.
Yeah in an ideal world, they will be able to properly reshape the dent in the hood without it losing its integrity, than blast it, repaint it, add the clear coat and make it good as new. I am just preparing for the worst.

$1500?? At least 3k if you get a new hood too.
Even if I don't need a new hood, I still don't think $1,500 for the parts and labor is nearly enough.

$1500 is too low, but if you pay more insurance will normally compensate you for the difference if you provide them with a paid invoice. My biggest concern, if I were you, is the roof. A hood and windshield can be replaced with ease, a roof can’t.
Yeah Geico will cover anything above my deductible regardless of whether it was included in their original inspection estimate as long as I provide proof of invoice/payment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah in an ideal world, they will be able to properly reshape the dent in the hood without it losing its integrity, than blast it, repaint it, add the clear coat and make it good as new. I am just preparing for the worst.

Even if I don't need a new hood, I still don't think $1,500 for the parts and labor is nearly enough.

Yeah Geico will cover anything above my deductible regardless of whether it was included in their original inspection estimate as long as I provide proof of invoice/payment.
OP,

I'm curious, what did the Geico guy actually write on the estimate? $1500 seems light for sure. Looking at my database, the OEM windshield is $799 and the NAGS (aftermarket) is 687.65 and that's only IF it's actually available. I suspect he may not have selected the right windshield.

There are 3 options in estimating platforms for the windshield:
OEM w/ rain sensor, w/o collision warning- $756
OEM w/ rain sensor, w/ collision warning-$799
OEM w/o rain sensor -$730

The proper windshield for the TH has the part number: 68295718AA
The NAGS (aftermarket) equivilent has the part number: DW02221GTY

All 3 fit the JCG, but only one works with the TH. I'd make sure sure they wrote for the correct one b/c many shops will install it without making sure its right and none of your collision avoidance or rain sensing wiper functions will work.

Most of the time Geico will replace the windshield asap if the vehicle is still drivable, so I'd double check that.

I do this for a living for another insurance company and I always try to make sure people are being treated right.

Depending on the labor rates in your area, I suspect if the dents are repairable and they used the correct windshield, you're looking at around 1500 only if they can use pointless dent removal for the roof (im not sure if they can).

If they have to repair and repaint the roof, the headliner likely has to come out and maybe even the sunroof frame to get access to all the dents. That jumps it up closer to 2k.

If they can't repair the hood and have to replace it ($1135), that jumps the cost up a good bit as well. I'd assume over 3k with hood replacement for sure. With it being white, they may have to blend the paint on the fenders to get a proper match, take off the front bumper and headlights, etc.

·
Registered
582 Posts
From what I have heard, you’re gonna spend more than $1500 getting the aftermarket hood prepped for paint, fitted properly and painted.

They are far from oem quality parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP,

I'm curious, what did the Geico guy actually write on the estimate? $1500 seems light for sure. Looking at my database, the OEM windshield is $799 and the NAGS (aftermarket) is 687.65 and that's only IF it's actually available. I suspect he may not have selected the right windshield.

There are 3 options in estimating platforms for the windshield:
OEM w/ rain sensor, w/o collision warning- $756
OEM w/ rain sensor, w/ collision warning-$799
OEM w/o rain sensor -$730

The proper windshield for the TH has the part number: 68295718AA
The NAGS (aftermarket) equivilent has the part number: DW02221GTY

All 3 fit the JCG, but only one works with the TH. I'd make sure sure they wrote for the correct one b/c many shops will install it without making sure its right and none of your collision avoidance or rain sensing wiper functions will work.

Most of the time Geico will replace the windshield asap if the vehicle is still drivable, so I'd double check that.

I do this for a living for another insurance company and I always try to make sure people are being treated right.

Depending on the labor rates in your area, I suspect if the dents are repairable and they used the correct windshield, you're looking at around 1500 only if they can use pointless dent removal for the roof (im not sure if they can).

If they have to repair and repaint the roof, the headliner likely has to come out and maybe even the sunroof frame to get access to all the dents. That jumps it up closer to 2k.

If they can't repair the hood and have to replace it ($1135), that jumps the cost up a good bit as well. I'd assume over 3k with hood replacement for sure. With it being white, they may have to blend the paint on the fenders to get a proper match, take off the front bumper and headlights, etc.
First, thank you very much for your forensic analysis, I really appreciate the level of detail you provided in your response. As I mentioned in my first post, I absolutely agree that in no scenario do I see $1500 being sufficient for this. To answer your questions, I am happy to share my insurance claim with you. I tried uploading to this post but the size is too large, even after I compressed it. It is a lot to type up lol. If you want to see it I am happy to email it etc.

From what I have heard, you’re gonna spend more than $1500 getting the aftermarket hood prepped for paint, fitted properly and painted.

They are far from oem quality parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts