Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just got my Trackhawk last week and I love this truck.
So far I've done over 950 km (almost 600 miles) in the Trackhawk, so I started to press the throttle to the limit (no launch control though, I am cautious).
Without launch control, the 0-60 mph (I switched to the imperial system) time was 3.7 seconds. Twice (on two different days). Full tank, co-passenger.
Boost pressure has been 0.8 bar (sorry, had the metric setup active) at max, not sure if this is OK (I think 0.8 bar are 11.6 psi if I'm right).

I have a couple of questions though (maybe you can help):

1. I am using 102 octane RON fuel in Germany (which is basically 97 octane US AKI) from the beginning. Is it helpful or just worthless without ECU adaptation? Some cars like the new Mercedes E63 S (pre-facelift) benefit from higher octane fuel without adapting the ECU software. How about the Trackhawk?

2. I have a 2+2 years warranty for the car in Germany, so I do not want to tune the car since this would create serious warranty issues here. The only minor things I have done is using a aFe Power inlay replacement air filter and removing the Helmholtz Resonator (air duct). The supercharger whine has increased substantially but can I expect a small power gain as well? Maybe in conjunction with the higher octane fuel I am running?

3. The exhaust sound at low revs (under 3000) and at idle is quite disappointing. Not sure if this is a German thing but is there anything I can do about it without having to modify the exhaust system? Does the Trackhawk OEM exhaust system have flaps? If yes, is there a way to keep them open? When I fully accelerate, hell breaks loose, the exhaust sounds fantastic. Just at lower revs and at idle, it sucks.

4. After almost 600 miles of driving, the last miles quite spirited (up to 240 kph or 150 mph, limited by winter tires on the German Autobahn, full throttle) oil consumption is basically zero. Is that common for the Trackhawk? Or should I expect a (much) higher oil consumption?

5. I have seen a maximum power of 643 hp in the Performance Pages. Is there any chance I am going to see higher numbers? Anyone seeing over 700 hp? Does the power "come" over time, let's say at 1500 miles or something?

Thanks a lot! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. :)

Actually, I "cruise" at around 180-190 kph (113-118 mph), this is the most "comfortable" speed for the Trackhawk on the Autobahn. Interior noise is low, even at 240 kph (150 mph, limited by winter tires), I am still able to talk to my wife without shouting but the noise level is higher than at the more "comfortable" cruising speed.

I do not think that the power "meter" in the performance pages is accurate. The values are too often too similar (up to a single hp digit) to be a coincidence.
3.7 seconds from 0-60 mph without launch control, with winter tires and on a damp surface, with slip, doesn't exactly indicate a power loss.

It is interesting that nobody seems to be able to answer my questions? 🥺

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
I saw nearly 800 the other day but there isn’t time to watch that and the road. If you search the forum, you should find most of the answers to your questions. Do you have a red engine on the drive mode screen? If so, you have full power.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I will check on that "red engine" on the drive mode screen.
I searched the forum but couldn't really find the answers I need.
Will do again, maybe I overlooked things.

·
Super Moderator
2,514 Posts
No active exhaust from factory

Not many of us have an EU warranty but intakes and cat back are usually safe.
Mine burnt up about a quart by the first oil change but none since then.

Winter tires are probably the cause of your slow times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congratulations on your Trackhawk! I began with an SRT8 then graduated to the Trackhawk about 3 weeks ago.
I purchased my 2018 used with 15,800 miles on it. The exhaust note from my Trackhawk is so loud on startup, I thought the previous owner had installed an aftermarket cat back system. Upon inspection though, I found that's not the case. It's completely stock. Sounds as if my exhaust is louder than yours, but describing exhaust noise can be subjective as well.
While in the military, I lived in Bad Kissingen and Wildflecken for several years and still have a couple friends in Germany I continue to speak with frequently. I'm jealous of the fact you have the Trackhawk and Autobahn. Enjoy and "Gute reise".

·
Registered
415 Posts
Congrats on a great vehicle. I would love to be stationed back in Germany with a Trackhawk. Great comfort for when you are in a STAU too.

Reactions: RTC

·
Registered
229 Posts
1. I don't think you need ECU adaptation for 97 octane, unless you do some major upgrades, like full exhaust, lower pulley, bigger fuel injectors. Otherwise it should be fine. Not sure if you would notice horsepower increase, maybe, not sure. Here in USA highest 'popular' octane is 91/93, every fuel station has it. 97 is not that much from 93, so I don't believe it make much difference.
2. You may get 5-10hp increase on intake, but you probably won't notice it. You will get 1 less mpg (0.4km/l), since more air is going in and more fuel is being added. Hardly noticeable tho.
3. No flaps, only SRT has flaps. You can't do anything or make it louder, unless you start modifying the exhaust, remove the mufflers, right where the exhaust tips are, remove those mufflers and see if you like sound that way.
4. Oil consumption is 50/50, some have oil consumption and some don't. Install 'oil catch can' if you haven't done it yet.
5. I haven't tested or seen this yet, but the most people say they saw was 630-650, people say it's measured at the transmissions or axles? I think, which is 15% loss.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What you have described seems all to be normal operation for a good new TH. I am in Germany also, use super plus, have minor oil consumption, exhaust will get loader over time, have seen better 0-60 time with 4 adults, and cruise daily at 3.5k Rpm when possible.

Reactions: RTC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What you have described seems all to be normal operation for a good new TH. I am in Germany also, use super plus, have minor oil consumption, exhaust will get loader over time, have seen better 0-60 time with 4 adults, and cruise daily at 3.5k Rpm when possible.
Did another run today, now I have 1050 km, 8°C, dry road, winter tires, full tank, only driver, no launch control and got 3.7 seconds from 0-100 kph and 8.3 seconds from 0-160 kph.
I guess this would "translate" into 0-60 mph in 3.4 or 3.5 seconds. Not sure if the 8.3 time from 0-100 mph (160 kph) is OK but I think so.
Again, everything without launch control, this thing jumps forward like an electric vehicle, unbelievable throttle response and acceleration.

I want to see 2000 km before I use launch control for the first time.

Still scared to look at the fuel consumption though, range dropped from 360 km to less than 200 km once I had a short spirited Autobahn run. 😮

1 - 20 of 20 Posts