Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made a turn and Engine light goes off and No acceleration nor No Boost build, i pop out the scanner and got code P012B so I assume it’s a sensor pop open the hood to see the S Belt snapped in half. (@25k Miles 2018 TH)
Long story short the local dealership is beyond backlogged and said 1 month minimum. I’ve seen recommendations for Greens Belts and ordered one im just scared that possibly the Tensioner could be broken or misaligned. it seems firm and undamaged.
just wanted some advice on if I should Replace my self in order to bring it home and store until the appointment, or leave it at the dealer for them to diagnose everything under warranty?
Any advice is appreciated thanks in advance.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

Vehicle Hood Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Car

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Hood Motor vehicle

· Registered
443 Posts
made a turn and Engine light goes off and No acceleration nor No Boost build, i pop out the scanner and got code P012B so I assume it’s a sensor pop open the hood to see the S Belt snapped in half. (@25k Miles 2018 TH)
Long story short the local dealership is beyond backlogged and said 1 month minimum. I’ve seen recommendations for Greens Belts and ordered one im just scared that possibly the Tensioner could be broken or misaligned. it seems firm and undamaged.
just wanted some advice on if I should Replace my self in order to bring it home and store until the appointment, or leave it at the dealer for them to diagnose everything under warranty?
Any advice is appreciated thanks in advance. View attachment 10732
View attachment 10731
View attachment 10730
More than likely no collateral damage. Mine snapped as well and I now change it every 15K miles since it's a low cost part and easy to install - gives me peace of mind knowing I am possibly saving myself from being stranded far from home.

· Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More than likely no collateral damage. Mine snapped as well and I now change it every 15K miles since it's a low cost part and easy to install - gives me peace of mind knowing I am possibly saving myself from being stranded far from home.
Ya I’ve seen a few posts here and multiple ppl said the same. I think that’s smart and already ordered extras, thanks for ur input I appreciate it just want to hear some thoughts

· Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
442 Posts
You can still drive the TH without the SC belt. Just accelerate slowly. I drove at 50kms without the belt to get home. It drove fine. I even got it upto 80mph without any issues or codes. If it goes into limp mode just restart.

· Registered
308 Posts
Mine snapped dogging a X5 M. That belt was on for a week.

· Registered
410 Posts
Anyone have the part number?
There was a thread a while back: Belts

From the thread:

I got real curious about the various part numbers supplied and decided to call Gates today. Here is what I found out regarding the different part numbers.

Gates K100579HD is correct for the TH, but I found out after talking to Bill (at gates.com) that part number K100579RPM is a better replacement option as it was designed for the supercharger stress and is more stretch resistant. ( Again you can decide for your self, as Bill did state this is a replacement option for the HC motor.)

As far as Gates K060846HD, this will fit the TH, but again after talking to Bill, part K060834 will work and is more to OEM specs.

I asked about where to buy and it was recommended to buy from an authorized parts supplier, NAPA, O'Reilly, etc VS. an Amazon. His reasoning was backing up of warranty.

I know that I have priced part numbers on Amazon and O'Reilly, but the little voice in the back of my head keeps saying is the couple bucks worth it vs. being able to go just down the street to the local parts supplier.

I am going to go with the advice from Bill ( the gates tech guy). This is my 2 cents on the subject and again you can decide for yourself.

· Registered
308 Posts
This is the belt I had that broke and it was new. part number K100579RPM

Reactions: CAPTIN SLOW

· Registered
308 Posts
Musical instrument Circuit component Finger Guitar accessory Electronic instrument

· Registered
205 Posts
Is your Jeep modded with a different pulley? I was just looking at your signature and was wondering because that would be an issue for sure as this belt was designed for a stock setup.

I installed one of these on a friends hawk last summer and his is still fine with no issues but his setup is stock.

· Registered
308 Posts
Is your Jeep modded with a different pulley? I was just looking at your signature and was wondering because that would be an issue for sure as this belt was designed for a stock setup.

I installed one of these on a friends hawk last summer and his is still fine with no issues but his setup is stock.
Not yet, have all the parts though. Been busy with 300 Whipple build.

That was with all stock stuff.

Reactions: PBGas

· Super Moderator
3,010 Posts
I don’t think I’ve heard of the HD belts snapping. Have a look at the tensioner with the motor running and look at the amount of travel left in the tensioner as the belt moves if it goes to the unloaded side, then I’d say you need a belt, if it bottoms out on the loaded side then I’d say it’s a tensioner issue, assuming you have the correct belt size for your setup.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.