Registered
285 Posts
Down side of owning something nice. Shame

What area of country?

Reactions: TrapHawk007

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. The knowledge of easy theft of Hellcat powered vehicles is very well known. The first mods should be theft prevention and/or tracking.

Reactions: TrapHawk007

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine was stolen Saturday night in Atlanta, GA. Was a 2018. They pulled up in a stolen charger and had my car started in 5 minutes. Keys were over 300feet away and through multiple floors of concrete parking decks so don't think it was an amplification/relay attack.\

They busted out a window (rear I think but my car was blocked from video by another vehicle) and started it in just a few minutes. The charger they pulled up in also had a busted out rear window.

Activated Sirius Guardian but they are not getting a location, so presuming they disabled the tracking or parked it in a covered area.

·
Premium Member
2019, Jeep, Trackhawk, Granite Crystal
333 Posts
I am sorry for all your loses. It must suck going to the parking spot and not seeing your beast there. It is easy to take any vehicle of the grid using handheld jammers. One unit can handle multiple frequencies. That is probably why they are disappearing so fast from Sirius Guardian. Sophisticated car alarms will use some sort of remote connection 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, wifi, CDMA, GPS and a couple of others, the problem is the output of these systems. There are handheld jammers in the region of 6-800$ which are absolutely badass for what they do, not so much for us, but they will render a 2-4000$ alarm job useless for communicating with smartphones, emails, sms location and gps location. The alarm will be good so they can only steal it with a tow truck. But I am guessing the thieves are watching these vehicles and keeping an eye-out and doing some due diligence regarding what alarm systems have been installed before stealing it.

New MB S-classes are being stolen in less time than you can write the check for it. The security tech for vehicles has not come a long way regarding actual security and theft prevention. It has become more of a gimmick with smartphone access and controls than actual protection.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I hope this post helps others out there: Relay attacks could still be a popular method of stealing these, using the shielded key pouches or turning off passive entry feature can stop this. Unfortunately they don't need your key at all. They break a window to gain access to your OBD port. Now I'm hearing they gain access to the security gateway module instead. Once they plug into the vehicles network (obd or gateway bypass) with their key programming tool, they delete all your existing keys and program the new key they have on them. Start her up and off they go like they own it.

If you are fortunate enough to locate it after stolen (aftermarket GPS, not Uconnect), most find out they will have to get it towed to a dealership to have new keys programmed because their existing key no longer works.

I've "disabled" my obd port, now I'll have to find a way to secure the connectors to the security gateway module. The biggest theft prevention would be if these rides had interior motion detection like the international market jeep/dodge/chryslers. I'm looking into a way to add interior motion detection to the factory alarm. And don't waste your money buying the factory motion detection sensor for the overhead console, they didn't put the wire harness in usa market vehicles. Otherwise would be plug and play and a few clicks in AlfaOBD.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep TrackHawk
89 Posts
I hope this post helps others out there: Relay attacks could still be a popular method of stealing these, using the shielded key pouches or turning off passive entry feature can stop this. Unfortunately they don't need your key at all. They break a window to gain access to your OBD port. Now I'm hearing they gain access to the security gateway module instead. Once they plug into the vehicles network (obd or gateway bypass) with their key programming tool, they delete all your existing keys and program the new key they have on them. Start her up and off they go like they own it.

If you are fortunate enough to locate it after stolen (aftermarket GPS, not Uconnect), most find out they will have to get it towed to a dealership to have new keys programmed because their existing key no longer works.

I've "disabled" my obd port, now I'll have to find a way to secure the connectors to the security gateway module. The biggest theft prevention would be if these rides had interior motion detection like the international market jeep/dodge/chryslers. I'm looking into a way to add interior motion detection to the factory alarm. And don't waste your money buying the factory motion detection sensor for the overhead console, they didn't put the wire harness in usa market vehicles. Otherwise would be plug and play and a few clicks in AlfaOBD.
This is great info 👍

·
Registered
2018 Jeep TrackHawk
89 Posts
Do kill switches work no matter what (keep your trackhawk from being started) as long as they are not found?
I was thinking the same thing. After reading speedracer333's post. From my understanding if you interrupt the ignition and fuel from being delivered, then even if the thieves try to start it by flashing a new key, in theory the new key should be useless.
This if course still doesn't help protect against a tow truck. 🤘

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
112 Posts
Mine was stolen Saturday night in Atlanta, GA. Was a 2018. They pulled up in a stolen charger and had my car started in 5 minutes. Keys were over 300feet away and through multiple floors of concrete parking decks so don't think it was an amplification/relay attack.\

They busted out a window (rear I think but my car was blocked from video by another vehicle) and started it in just a few minutes. The charger they pulled up in also had a busted out rear window.

Activated Sirius Guardian but they are not getting a location, so presuming they disabled the tracking or parked it in a covered area.
**** good to know because I got Sirius Guardian too....got cameras n dogs n locked garage etc too

1 - 20 of 51 Posts