Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and have been reading a lot.

I am in the market for a fast SUV. Considering the above. Buying used. Any vehicle I purchase MUST have a GVWR over 6000 lbs for tax purposes.

Current body style Trackhawk, vs. current body style Cayenne S vs. X5M/X6M

I think I'd ideally like the Cayenne Turbo, but that is out of my price range.

Obviously this forum will have biased opinions (which is fine), but would appreciate your opinions on these options.

My goal is the have the highest performance SUV available in my price range. I love superchargers, love the trackhawk engine (have rented a hellcat before). I've read the Cayenne handles much better, but the Cayenne S is anemic compare to the Trackhawk.

Secondly, depreciation. Since I'll be buying used, which hold value the best?

Appreciate thoughts. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,711 Posts
Ah, well in that case. The jeep will make u giggle like a child but definitely not as refined as the others. Depends on how much of ur inner child makes the decisions.

·
Registered
472 Posts
True story:
A friend of mine chose the Cayenne Turbo over the TH because he liked the Porsche image. But, his wife HATED the harsh ride and he soon sold it. He now owns a TH and they both are happy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually went through a very similar process before I bought my Trackhawk. I was looking at used high performance German SUVs; X5Ms and GLE63 S. I also wanted the tax benefits of 6K+ GVWR. one of my business partners tried to dissuade me from the Trackhawk because it was just a lowly “Jeep”. I have had many high end German cars (RS6, a couple of M5s and AMGs). But I have always regarded myself as a ”car guy” and liked cars for what they actually bring to the table and not the badge/status. It is why I have also owned a Jeep SRT-8, Nissan GT-R, CTS-V and even a Pontiac G8 GT. So I went out and test drove a Trackhawk. I loved it! I smiled the whole time. It had so much more of a visceral feeling and personality than even the Tuned ‘14 E63 S AMG I was driving at the time. I found a great deal on a leftover ‘18 and am still happy with that decision 14 months later. Also, one of my other business partners saw my Trackhawk, loved it and went out and got one himself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually went through a very similar process before I bought my Trackhawk. I was looking at used high performance German SUVs; X5Ms and GLE63 S. I also wanted the tax benefits of 6K+ GVWR. one of my business partners tried to dissuade me from the Trackhawk because it was just a lowly “Jeep”. I have had many high end German cars (RS6, a couple of M5s and AMGs). But I have always regarded myself as a ”car guy” and liked cars for what they actually bring to the table and not the badge/status. It is why I have also owned a Jeep SRT-8, Nissan GT-R, CTS-V and even a Pontiac G8 GT. So I went out and test drove a Trackhawk. I loved it! I smiled the whole time. It had so much more of a visceral feeling and personality than even the Tuned ‘14 E63 S AMG I was driving at the time. I found a great deal on a leftover ‘18 and am still happy with that decision 14 months later. Also, one of my other business partners saw my Trackhawk, loved it and went out and got one himself.
Very helpful to have your perspective. Indeed you went through the same process as me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I started looking for a HP SUV about 5+ years ago, I considered the Cayenne but a long time friend (and Porsche owner) advised me against it. He said they just had too many problems. I know I'd see him driving a different Porsche several times each year. At first I thought he owned several Porsche's, but no, those were loaner cars while his was in the shop getting something fixed. That was a big concern for me since the nearest Porsche dealer is ~150 miles away from where I live.

So I bought a GC SRTs (actual 2 of them) before the TH's came out. Then when the TH's came out I traded the SRT I had at the time for a new TH... I'm now on my second TH. (I usually buy a new "daily driver" every 12 to 18 mos.) I've never had to put any of them in the shop for anything and the resale values seemed to be fair to me. To be honest, while I love the TH's, the SRT's were plenty quick... The TH is just over the top. And while I'd still be happy with "just a" SRT, I'll probably buy a Redeye if they come out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My girlfriend really likes her Porsches, but when I teased her about that her Macan Turbo only had 400 hp, she couldn't take it, and also bought a 'Hawk. She had test driven mine, so it wasn't a completely blind purchase.

Still, I strongly suspected that she'd regret selling the Macan (it was her second one), but much to my surprise, she's very happy with her 'Hawk.

It doesn't handle quite as well, she says, but probably expected that.
Now keep in mind that she really likes her lowly Cayman when it comes to handling, even over her 911 Turbo S, so she does have some experience with how cars handle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My girlfriend really likes her Porsches, but when I teased her about that her Macan Turbo only had 400 hp, she couldn't take it, and also bought a 'Hawk. She had test driven mine, so it wasn't a completely blind purchase.

Still, I strongly suspected that she'd regret selling the Macan (it was her second one), but much to my surprise, she's very happy with her 'Hawk.

It doesn't handle quite as well, she says, but probably expected that.
Now keep in mind that she really likes her lowly Cayman when it comes to handling, even over her 911 Turbo S, so she does have some experience with how cars handle.
Wow, how does one find a driving enthusiast GF, especially one that can afford multiple Porshes? Nice! ;-)

·
Registered
232 Posts
True story:
A friend of mine chose the Cayenne Turbo over the TH because he liked the Porsche image. But, his wife HATED the harsh ride and he soon sold it. He now owns a TH and they both are happy.
That's a storybook ending straight out of a Walt Disney movie, lol.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've owned a lot of cars in my day. Im 47, Notably, 2010 c63 amg, 02,06,16 corvette convertibles. 2013 BMW M5, 06 GCSRT, 15 GCSRT -- By far this truck is the best of all. the Hellcat motor is a force as is ...... Modded its simply insane and there is not a car on the road right now i'd trade mine for. We might not get the prestige of a German, but at the end of the 1/4 mile well be waiting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, how does one find a driving enthusiast GF, especially one that can afford multiple Porshes? Nice! ;-)
Technically she found me, since she moved into my 'hood. Dumb luck. Years later I made my move, and she moved in with me.

Anyway, like most women she needed some tutoring when it came to cars. It was all BMWs all the time, until I talked her into getting an Aston Martin. After three of those she really got into Porches, but that was definitely not my doing.

But I won't kick her out because of them. Now that she also has a Redeye and Trackhawk there's at least some real muscle to go with the remaining Porsches.

By the way, if you're thinking about buying a 'Hawk, I'm considering selling mine. A lightly optioned '20 with less than 1,700 miles on it. Broken in correctly, and with an early oil change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gents,

I went through the same process and was actually coming out of a 2016 Cayenne GTS (basically a Cayenne S) when I got my Trackhawk. The Cayenne GTS was a great car, twin-turbo v6, handled and stopped like a 911, excellent build quality. The only thing that wasn't cool was the sound; despite what people did exhaust-wise there was no getting that v6 to sound like a v8...

As mentioned, the most comparable Cayenne to a Trackhawk is the Cayenne Turbo, with the v8, but those are VERY expensive new, around $150K I think.

I did also drive an X6M, which is a great car as well. Very crisp handling, acceleration, braking, but just a bit too stiff and harsh for all-around daily driving. I was worried that clients may find it uncomfortable and bumpy. And it does look like a jelly bean. Pricing is about $20K higher than a Trackhawk when well-outfitted, much closer than the Cayenne Turbo.

The Trackhawk seems to have the best combination of features... Acceleration that stomps most other SUV's this side of a Tesla, decent handling and braking, a fairly comfortable ride and interior, and good pricing. I've had the Trackhawk out on the racetrack and it's a bit 'piggish' compared to the Cayenne GTS, but holds its own. However, I would say that the Trackhawk isn't suitable for a full track day without modification, as it will start getting some brake fade, and the tires will likely turn into jello, things that didn't affect the Cayenne GTS. However, those things can be mitigated with different brake pads and tires, but it won't ever be as crisp as a Cayenne or (presumably) and X6M. But how often are you really gonna have this beast on a racetrack?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gents,

I went through the same process and was actually coming out of a 2016 Cayenne GTS (basically a Cayenne S) when I got my Trackhawk. The Cayenne GTS was a great car, twin-turbo v6, handled and stopped like a 911, excellent build quality. The only thing that wasn't cool was the sound; despite what people did exhaust-wise there was no getting that v6 to sound like a v8...

As mentioned, the most comparable Cayenne to a Trackhawk is the Cayenne Turbo, with the v8, but those are VERY expensive new, around $150K I think.

I did also drive an X6M, which is a great car as well. Very crisp handling, acceleration, braking, but just a bit too stiff and harsh for all-around daily driving. I was worried that clients may find it uncomfortable and bumpy. And it does look like a jelly bean. Pricing is about $20K higher than a Trackhawk when well-outfitted, much closer than the Cayenne Turbo.

The Trackhawk seems to have the best combination of features... Acceleration that stomps most other SUV's this side of a Tesla, decent handling and braking, a fairly comfortable ride and interior, and good pricing. I've had the Trackhawk out on the racetrack and it's a bit 'piggish' compared to the Cayenne GTS, but holds its own. However, I would say that the Trackhawk isn't suitable for a full track day without modification, as it will start getting some brake fade, and the tires will likely turn into jello, things that didn't affect the Cayenne GTS. However, those things can be mitigated with different brake pads and tires, but it won't ever be as crisp as a Cayenne or (presumably) and X6M. But how often are you really gonna have this beast on a racetrack?
I would not bring my SUV to the track, so that is not a concern for me. Thank you much for the feedback! The Cayenne S (GTS) is on my list given similar price to the trackhawk.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would not bring my SUV to the track, so that is not a concern for me. Thank you much for the feedback! The Cayenne S (GTS) is on my list given similar price to the trackhawk.
It's a pretty fun time! I give rides to clients and friends and they seem to enjoy it. They probably get car sick though and just don't tell me...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts