Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I purchased my Trackhawk new it had the color and all the options I was looking for except one. Trailer tow package. So, today I went to the dealer and they hooked me up. Got the factory hitch and 4 & 7 pin connector. Tomorrow it goes in for the install.

For the Trackhawks that do not have the trailer tow package there is great news. All Track-hawks come pre-wired for the plug. This means the factory did all the trailer/tow wiring to the rear bumper while they built each unit. So, it’s just plug and play for the pin connectors.

I don’t plan to tow a lot but I wanted the Track Hawk ready to tow when needed.

The only thing that differs from ordering it from the factory is you get a spare tire from the factory if it came equipped with the Tow Package.

Just wanted to pass this info along for other owners that don’t have the Trailer tow group package and want to add it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
That’s good to know. I ordered mine with it, I thought it was a must have for resale value. I will probably never use it either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe there is also a difference in alternators as well.
Will check that out. I know on some vehicles when ordered with the trailer tow package you get a heavy duty alternator that puts out more amps. Hoping the Track Hawk already has it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanted to ask if your Track Hawk came with the Trailer Tow Package does it have run flat tires?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went to a dealer today to make an appt for a trailer hitch install and they told me they don't have the wiring and they aren't sure if the hitch will fit. Trying a different dealer tomorrow.....

It's great to hear this can be done though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done. Factory cover fits over it perfectly. Parts counter told me it’s the same hitch they use for all late model Grand Cherokees.

I think Jeep did a sweet job putting the hitch behind the center cover. Stays nice and hidden plus the cover is so simple to remove and put back on.

FYI. I had to basically show the Jeep mechanic how it is done. He didn’t believe you use the stock center cover to go over the hitch. He actually thought you had to cut a bezel into the cover. Luckily I was able to pull up a video on YouTube to show him the cover hides the hitch completely. He thanked me and just shook his head. This is the very first Track Hawk that they put a hitch on.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I ordered my TH with the towing packaged the order and the invoice noted optional HD cooling system for towing package. Not sure whats different or why the TH wouldn't have the best cooling system already but that is what the order and invoice said.
Does anyone know more about that??

Thing runs at just over 200 all the time no matter how hard its run. (as its supposed to) Was thinking of a 180 thermostat but after reading here about reprogramming for the 180, I have reservations about doing that. Its one of the most basic performance upgrades known to man kind to lower the running temps and intake air inlet temps for free HP. Has anyone swapped T-stats without reprogramming?? and what results did you have?? My understanding is the fans will be confused and may not work properly.

BTW these tow WAY more than they are rated for. 28 ft enclosed race car trailer fully loaded with 2900 lb race car, golf cart, tool chest, 2 trailer spares, lots of spare parts, two complete extra sets of wheels-tires for the road race car and ten 5 gal cans of 112 Tows just fine including up in the mountains. In fact it accelerates up hill. I hate diesels. dirty smelly noisy big giant stiff riding trucks that are not good for anything but towing. With the TH, I can go racing, and have a super fun Daily driver as well. Money well spent.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow!! Just towed for the 1st time today. Amazing in tow mode and with the power it has. Yupp, I was tempted to do a 0-60 run with the trailer to see what time it would put down. Then I thought twice about it. I didn’t want to be too hard on the beast. Especially the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Very cool to see the pix and hear experiences of towing with the TH. I have not tried it yet.

I haul a variety of musclecars on a 21' Featherlite open trailer and was concerned about "the tail wagging the dog" effect when going downhills or on twisty roads.

What do you guys think?

My usual tow vehicle is my Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone please give me the Mopar part number for the Trackhawk "Tow bar kit" and confirm whether or not it is the same as the 2018 SRT Tow bar kit as I am struggling to find one here in Australia.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well......The cover won't fit back over but rest assured. Will get it fabricated and re designed to fit so it's out of sight.
Was a freebie so all wiring being done. Plug and Play. Will post some Pics later and installed and again after modified.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did the dealer use the factory core harness for the lights and brake controller, or did you run your own harness? I am asking as my dealer said it first could be done but while doing the install they determined FCA stopped adding the core harness to all vehicles as they used to, and only the one with the tow option come setup for lights/brake controller.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Did the dealer use the factory core harness for the lights and brake controller, or did you run your own harness? I am asking as my dealer said it first could be done but while doing the install they determined FCA stopped adding the core harness to all vehicles as they used to, and only the one with the tow option come setup for lights/brake controller.
It’s plug and play as far as the harness goes. All Trackhawks come pre-wired for brake control, lights etc.. With the aftermarket brake controller I added, I did have to purchase a separate plug that costs $14.99 from E Trailers. This plug goes from the brake control module to the factory harness underneath the drivers side dash. There is an empty plug up there and all you do is plug it in.

If your vehicle did not have the factory tow package from the factory, the Jeep dealer needs to activate the tow package with their computer. Basically, they just turn it on. You might get charged about $60 to $80.00 for the activation unless you have a good relationship with the service techs or advisor. Then, there might be no charge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the Trackhawk is not plug and play like you said it is. There is no wire harness available yet from OEM. They do have a hitch that goes on the Trackhawk Part no. 82212180AD. Can you put some pictures of the wire harness they used please

·
Registered
19 Posts
It’s plug and play as far as the harness goes. All Trackhawks come pre-wired for brake control, lights etc.. With the aftermarket brake controller I added, I did have to purchase a separate plug that costs $14.99 from E Trailers. This plug goes from the brake control module to the factory harness underneath the drivers side dash. There is an empty plug up there and all you do is plug it in.

If your vehicle did not have the factory tow package from the factory, the Jeep dealer needs to activate the tow package with their computer. Basically, they just turn it on. You might get charged about $60 to $80.00 for the activation unless you have a good relationship with the service techs or advisor. Then, there might be no charge.

Thanks for the reply Dan.

From what I was told by the dealer and FCA (I have an open case with them) the TrackHawks do not come with the core harness if the tow option is not selected. All Grand Cherokees used to have this harness as part of their vehicle harness but not the TrackHawks. FCA stated they are aware of the issue and that they are working on an adapter harness but it may take months or more to be available (if at all, as stated by case manager). Case manager offered to have my dealer install an after market harness (on their dime) to get the brake controller and lights working. I held off as I am guessing they will just farm it out to a local trailer shop, which I don't want for obvious reasons.

Oddly I was able to locate the grey connector for the brake controller near the parking brake pedal. I informed the case manger of this and he stated that is a different part of the harness. I am not sure I believe this whole story knowing this and what you stated above (that it was plug-n-play).

Just reporting what was reported to me. I'm going to check under the vehicle again, and maybe pull a panel off from inside the rear compartment area of where other non-TrackHawk vehicles show the harness to be just to confirm.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts