Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of just dipping my toe in the water first with a PCM and TCM tune. It seems most people go all in with pulleys and more serious packages. I figured the most important thing would be to pick the right tuner up front so at least the PCM (planning on getting a second one) can be reused and possible future mods would just be tacked on without wasting money (aside from the cost of the tune). Right now I have just a drop in green filter but would also look to get the 180* thermostat which would need tuning to work properly. Has anyone on here gone with the tune only route? I wouldn’t mind hearing from tuners and their thoughts and experiences.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
tunes cost to much to just tune then add parts later and have to pay for the tune all over again. Not sure how much a tune alone will let you gain prob not enough to even feel but I really dont know. Id add something with it or leave it be JUST my opinion though

what yea got color options etc? Pictures? Welcome to the board

·
Registered
411 Posts
Do a search for OST-Dyno on here. They picked up ~60whp AND tq with just an engine and trans tune. Rev limiter is bumped 500rpm, which helps get some extra power up top, as well.

I have been _very_ tempted to do the same... 180^ t-stat, PCM and TCM tune. But the warranty is gone (even if you swap the PCM back to the stocker... I believe dealer software can tell), so at that point, might as well do a pulley, at least and pick up another 40+whp/tq, right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tunes cost to much to just tune then add parts later and have to pay for the tune all over again. Not sure how much a tune alone will let you gain prob not enough to even feel but I really dont know. Id add something with it or leave it be JUST my opinion though

what yea got color options etc? Pictures? Welcome to the board

Thanks! 2018 True Blue Pearl, Black interior. The only cost options were the satin black wheels and pano roof. I will try to post some pics.

It seems one of the biggest improvements is tuning the TCM to allow the car to shift at 6,600 RPM. That extra 600 RPM lets the supercharger get a little more boost up top. If you believe the dynos it looks like 20+ whp just from that on a tuned car. But that is in conjunction with the ECM tune to tell the computer not bleed off that extra boost. It looks like some tuners have gotten 60+ whp through the combined tuning. That would pacify more short term.

My wife has been patient with me and my addiction. I have probably spent $50K over our ten year marriage modifying my cars. So I kind of promised I would not tinker too much with this one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do a search for OST-Dyno on here. They picked up ~60whp AND tq with just an engine and trans tune. Rev limiter is bumped 500rpm, which helps get some extra power up top, as well.

I have been _very_ tempted to do the same... 180^ t-stat, PCM and TCM tune. But the warranty is gone (even if you swap the PCM back to the stocker... I believe dealer software can tell), so at that point, might as well do a pulley, at least and pick up another 40+whp/tq, right?
Exactly what I was looking at as far as the tuning potential.

As far as the warranty, I believe in paying to play so long as it was the aftermarket parts’ fault. But most manufacturers void warranties without trying to prove anything. It is in direct violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act for them to deny warranty coverage in such a way. But fighting a behemoth with hordes of attorneys is pointless. I Would try to swap back the PCM when servicing and hope to avoid getting flagged. But if I did, I would cash in my Mopar maintenance and extended warranty and go all in on pulley package.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait.... what? I’m super lost on the last post.
What part? I purchased a Mopar extended warranty and maintenance. If they are going to void the factory warranty, I can get a cash refund on the unused portion of those two plans which would then go toward doing a pulley upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
1,001 Posts
Thanks! 2018 True Blue Pearl, Black interior. The only cost options were the satin black wheels and pano roof. I will try to post some pics.

It seems one of the biggest improvements is tuning the TCM to allow the car to shift at 6,600 RPM. That extra 600 RPM lets the supercharger get a little more boost up top. If you believe the dynos it looks like 20+ whp just from that on a tuned car. But that is in conjunction with the ECM tune to tell the computer not bleed off that extra boost. It looks like some tuners have gotten 60+ whp through the combined tuning. That would pacify more short term.

My wife has been patient with me and my addiction. I have probably spent $50K over our ten year marriage modifying my cars. So I kind of promised I would not tinker too much with this one.
60HP is a large bump for tune only. i would have never guessed that much, but I still wouldnt do it, lol you already know you are going to add more. your gonna pay again for the tune so might as well toss in that pulley now. thats just me of coarse do as you please with your cars.
your wife knows what you spend on cars? LMAO your nuts sleep with one eye open

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
60HP is a large bump for tune only. i would have never guessed that much, but I still wouldnt do it, lol you already know you are going to add more. your gonna pay again for the tune so might as well toss in that pulley now. thats just me of coarse do as you please with your cars.
your wife knows what you spend on cars? LMAO your nuts sleep with one eye open
Yeah, I keep going back and forth on it. The tune piece doesn’t seem that costly (maybe coming from all the other platforms I have had where they charge crazy multiples for canned software tunes). I also really want to avoid being without the Trackhawk for a few days since that would set off alarm bells with the wife that I was getting something significant done.

·
Super Moderator
1,711 Posts
You still potentially void the powertrain portion of your warranty if you simply do a tune or you tune n pulley. If ur gonna do it, make it worth ur while. Sounds like you should leave it stock though. Will save u money on the jeep AND the divorce.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You still potentially void the powertrain portion of your warranty if you simply do a tune or you tune n pulley. If ur gonna do it, make it worth ur while. Sounds like you should leave it stock though. Will save u money on the jeep AND the divorce.
I get it. I don’t mind doing things in stages. I like to test my mods at the track and using my vbox. I usually try to do track rentals at MIR in the fall or early spring to get cool air. (Usually negative DA). The fact that most people go straight to the pulleys makes it more intriguing to me to do some testing on tune and “stock” boost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get it. I don’t mind doing things in stages. I like to test my mods at the track and using my vbox. I usually try to do track rentals at MIR in the fall or early spring to get cool air. (Usually negative DA). The fact that most people go straight to the pulleys makes it more intriguing to me to do some testing on tune and “stock” boost.

I'm totally with you Tom. Was considering the exact same - just got the intake spacers and considering just the PCM and TCM tune. My dealer is "mod literate" and would probably work with me, based on the degree of mods. Would probably be more forgiving with tune only versus tune and pulley. Then the whole crank pinning question... Buying a 2nd pcm won't gain you anything warranty-wise. Talk to your tuner regarding the tattle tale aftermarket calibration detected trouble code. What are your goals? I would be content with low 11's, and maybe touch high 10's on a -2000 DA hero run LOL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm totally with you Tom. Was considering the exact same - just got the intake spacers and considering just the PCM and TCM tune. My dealer is "mod literate" and would probably work with me, based on the degree of mods. Would probably be more forgiving with tune only versus tune and pulley. Then the whole crank pinning question... Buying a 2nd pcm won't gain you anything warranty-wise. Talk to your tuner regarding the tattle tale aftermarket calibration detected trouble code. What are your goals? I would be content with low 11's, and maybe touch high 10's on a -2000 DA hero run LOL.
Same goal here, a 10.9X run in ideal conditions. I am lucky that I have some very favorable sea level tracks within an hour and half of me. When we get that cool crisp air it might just happen. I think the best stock 1/4 mile is 11.2X @120 mph in negative DA. If the tuning bump is 60+whp, it might be enough.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Same goal here, a 10.9X run in ideal conditions. I am lucky that I have some very favorable sea level tracks within an hour and half of me. When we get that cool crisp air it might just happen. I think the best stock 1/4 mile is 11.2X @120 mph in negative DA. If the tuning bump is 60+whp, it might be enough.
I'm right there with both of you. I don't need to break any records... low, low-11s / high-10s (doubt I would ever get there in N. Texas) is plenty quick for me with this sled. I am seeing consistent 0-60 in 3.1-3.2 with temps in the 40-50^F range, so another 60tq/60hp would yield a hero 2.9, I think. :) For my style/type of driving in this particular vehicle its 0-80 sprints for me.

I think my dealer would be ok with a PCM/TCM tune, as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,711 Posts
Not installed yet? U running a lower too? This is my first supercharged application and even though I’ve already done the upper n lower route, I’m curious if doing the upper only will cause more belt slip. I’m pretty sure mine is slipping at hi rpms but I’m not seeing any evidence but probably because I’m very rarely at that rpm range often but there’s definitely an odor when doing a wot pull

1 - 20 of 33 Posts