Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some stuff rolling on this project, things are starting to come together nicely! Enjoy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Jeez. Turbocharging an already supercharged engine is nuts!
Doesn't look like they are trying to run a compound-boost setup with turbo and blower together. I think that gets pretty complicated. But the factory-built bottom end of the HC engine is a great platform for turbos, I would think. :) Properly set up (which does take time and $$$), it will be make more power, more efficiently than the blower.

Not something I have the time/$$ or patience for, but its always fun to watch someone else be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Doesn't look like they are trying to run a compound-boost setup with turbo and blower together. I think that gets pretty complicated. But the factory-built bottom end of the HC engine is a great platform for turbos, I would think. :) Properly set up (which does take time and $$$), it will be make more power, more efficiently than the blower.

Not something I have the time/$$ or patience for, but its always fun to watch someone else be the guinea pig.
I thought that was a complicated thing to pull off, but I didn’t think they’d spend the money to delete a supercharger in place of a turbo. I don’t get that at all. Why spend the money to swap one for the other?

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
I thought that was a complicated thing to pull off, but I didn’t think they’d spend the money to delete a supercharger in place of a turbo. I don’t get that at all. Why spend the money to swap one for the other?
Because Turbo Chargers are a lot more efficient... It takes (you lose) ~ 80HP to turn our supercharger.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez. Turbocharging an already supercharged engine is nuts!
No more blower here... putting that on the shelf for spare parts, lol.

Yea, compound would be a waste of time. The factory blowers can get you north of 900whp, when turned up with supporting fuel and mods. We're not chasing 900 with this. We want all the power!

Because Turbo Chargers are a lot more efficient... It takes (you lose) ~ 80HP to turn our supercharger.
^^^That and we have the ability of changing power with a flick of a button with a turbo setup. The engine load will be a lot softer and we will more than likely be able to push harder on the turbos when compared to power/boost with the blower, on the stock motor.

Aren’t you gaining more lag with the added horsepower though?
Not if it’s a bi turbo setup. That would be sick.
No lag to really worry about, it's all about the right turbo selection, the right piping size choices and the tech related to the system to make it run hard. It may not have the instant snap of the blower does but it will leave you standing still once they get cooking. We install 2 step launchers in most of our turbo builds as it is, that helps build power before you even get out of the hole. We have big turbo WK1 Jeeps that cut 1.35 60fts on massive 88+mm units. Set up right, they are awesome!

Our base kit will start with Precision Gen2 6062s, these are 750hp rated turbos. The kit will have the ability to be able to upgrade all the way up to the 6875s in the same frame form with no changes to the kit itself.

These manifolds will be plug and play for the TH, HC, Demons, and Redeyes and will be sold as part of our turbo systems. With all the newer supercharged HEMI platforms rolling out, I believe these kits will be a hit.

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Aren’t you gaining more lag with the added horsepower though?
Simple answer is yes, BUT, the amount of lag depends on a lot of things, from the turbo size to the torque converter and how much you can bring the RPMs up before launching. In fact, if they can retain the launch control this COULD potentially get around almost all turbo lag since it allows you to bring the RPMs up.

Or yes, a bi turbo could get around it as well, or even a small shot of nitrous to get off the line.

A lot of it depends on the build purpose, if its for road course / autocross racing or around town use, a smaller turbo will be fine, you will be able to drastically improve efficiency & still have plenty of low end power. If its a drag setup, go big, reduce the lag as much as possible with the torque converter and/or launch control and hold on... (for example of big and fast, see Harrison's 8 second WK1 turbo Jeep!)

But you are correct, they might lose a couple tenths in 0-60 passes because of lag, but they will more than make up for it in 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile and top end runs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just some progress pics of our manifold for TT kit. Fitment tests went well on the HC & TH platforms :)

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like a huge waste of money to me. And voiding your warrenty in the process. Just to get close to the same 0 - 60 times

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like a huge waste of money to me. And voiding your warrenty in the process. Just to get close to the same 0 - 60 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. A TT setup done right will make a LOT more power than the blower can. I'd expect this build will be pretty insane knowing what Demon Perf is capable of and has already done.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just some progress pics of our manifold for TT kit. Fitment tests went well on the HC & TH platforms :)
About dayum time.......I will expect to be able to get this manifold in the color I want as well :grin2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We're not chasing 0-60 times here. The OEM blower is only good to make so much power then it's useless and makes dangerous heat, the aftermarket blowers will make more but also have a ceiling for how well they perform at a certain boost level. Turbos do not have any restrictions however.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. A TT setup done right will make a LOT more power than the blower can. I'd expect this build will be pretty insane knowing what Demon Perf is capable of and has already done.
That's a work of art right there!
Thanks! We have a lot of time and moolah wrapped up into developing this bad boy. Been a long road for sure but we're getting to that point now ;)

About dayum time.......I will expect to be able to get this manifold in the color I want as well :grin2:
I think we're going to make them black anodized as the std finish but I'm sure we can get a white one whipped up for ya man :)

Thats awesome, are you going single or twin turbo?
Twins, mid mount. We may consider bigger single units in the future for custom, in house only kits, but the mail order kits will be twin mid mount.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Blazing a path rarely taken, I love it!!

A TT Trackhawk is going to be ridiculous. The question has been asked dozens of times, how much power can the drivetrain take? We are finally going to get answers ... lol

Thanks for the time and effort to advance the Hellcat/Trackhawk platform Demon Performance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks ThawkMike! I truly believe we'll be able to make a lot more power without premature damage to the engine/trans on the turbo setup when compared to cars/jeeps that have turned the boost up on their stock or aftermarket blowers. Turbo load is much softer overall and won't put as much stress on the engine parts, even at higher boost/power levels, unlike that of the blower load. I bet we can push north of 1000whp on the turbo setup without having to go into the motor/trans. They're built fairly tough from the factory. I guess there's only one way to find out right?

Reactions: ThawkMike
1 - 20 of 22 Posts