Jeep Trackhawk Forum banner

Unbelievable Stealership Gouging...

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  30birdy99 
#1 ·
I brought my Trackhawk into my local dealership (DC metro area) for an oil change and asked if they could swap out the spark plugs. I was supplying a step colder plug and asked them to gap it to my tuner's preference. They quoted me $780 for just the labor on the plugs (oil change is free under my service contract). I was visibly appalled. They use a $230/hr labor rate and said it was a 3 1/2 hour job. Their response to my disbelief..."well it IS supercharged...". I told them that BS may work on people who know absolutely nothing about cars and changing spark plugs is not rocket science. I called another Jeep dealership that is 25 miles away and they quoted me $500 for the install labor. I am having the dealership do the free oil change but made an appointment at the other dealership and will probably use them going forward. It isn't about saving money, I just hate when people try to take advantage of you because they know you can afford things....

#4 ·
A combination of lack of free time and I am a bit of a "bull in the china shop". I have had bad luck breaking stuff and don't want to deal with it. I am willing to pay someone market rates to take that stress off me.... I just don't want to pay a 50%+ premium to a greedy dealer.

#16 ·
As black track said, find a trusted independent high performance mechanic. It’s not just a Chrysler thing, all dealerships overcharge and you’re most likely going to have an under qualified mechanic working on your vehicle who doesn’t care about it.I’ve always had bad experiences with dealerships. I don’t even like bringing them my vehicles for recalls. Dealerships only care about profits. At a dealership the mechanic working on your car is most likely going to be watching the same YouTube video you would watch before doing the job. There must be a reputable mopar guy in your area, or someone trustworthy to the job. You want the guy that has a tough time fitting you in, that means he has lots of satisfied customers. Best of luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.