Jeep TrackHawk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a tuner that can unlock my PCM and set it up to bypass the P1400 code so that dealers can't see any tuning was done and I can have my local tuner do the tuning. I am only wanting to optimize the factory tune to my engine for the best performance and fuel economy with a CAI and leave everything else stock, yet still want to retain the factory powertrain warranty. I have confirmed with one tuning company that this can be done, yet am still waiting to hear back on whether they will do this for me and let me have my local tuner tune it with HPtuner or if I will have to have them tune it for me.

Anyone know of a tuner I could contact that could do this for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a serious warranty issue the PCM will probably be sent back to FCA and they will know it has been modified code or not.
Hopefully that won't ever happen with just optimizing the stock tune for my engine, something that could have been done if Chrysler was doing that for each build, but we know that isn't realistic. If it does have a powertrain issue, I will be sure to put the stock tune back in it or make them prove my tune caused the damage. It is highly unlikely that an optimized tune is going to cause any issues. My tuner is very conservative with his tunes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hopefully that won't ever happen with just optimizing the stock tune for my engine, something that could have been done if Chrysler was doing that for each build, but we know that isn't realistic. If it does have a powertrain issue, I will be sure to put the stock tune back in it or make them prove my tune caused the damage. It is highly unlikely that an optimized tune is going to cause any issues. My tuner is very conservative with his tunes.

It juat doesn't matter.. FCA will know in a matter of minutes if the PCM was tweaked..

But do what you want.

You have been warned.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good advice here Chadd. Swapping PCM’s won’t help in a warranty claim battle.

And it’ll be you “proving” the mod didn’t cause the issue, not the other way around. And with the engineers who built the truck arguing against you, that’s almost an impossible battle.

Also, the stock tune isn’t that conservative when you dive and look at the timing. There is power to be had with a tune on stock boost, 20-40whp depends on who you ask, but some of that is going to come with raising the trans shift points, which is a TCM tune, not pcm.

IMO, a stock boost tune is a great place to start if you think you’ll be heading down the smaller pulley route eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
If tuning this platform is of interest to you, I can not recommend watching this YouTube channel enough. Speedy does a fantastic job of explaining DIY tuning and mods to this platform better then any channel I have seen.

He’s been in this game a very long time and know his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedysGarage

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good advice here Chadd. Swapping PCM’s won’t help in a warranty claim battle.

And it’ll be you “proving” the mod didn’t cause the issue, not the other way around. And with the engineers who built the truck arguing against you, that’s almost an impossible battle.

Also, the stock tune isn’t that conservative when you dive and look at the timing. There is power to be had with a tune on stock boost, 20-40whp depends on who you ask, but some of that is going to come with raising the trans shift points, which is a TCM tune, not pcm.

IMO, a stock boost tune is a great place to start if you think you’ll be heading down the smaller pulley route eventually.

Mike,

I won't be swapping PCM's, just tuning on the stock one. I called and spoke to a tech at Livernois and they are guaranteeing that the dealer/FCA will not be able to see that tuning was done and the P1400 code is erased/blocked. How are they going to know? Why would Livernois say this if it weren't true? They are a big company that has a lot to lose with false information like this.

Also, I am not doing any tuning that would go beyond anything in power or fuel economy than what it would do from the factory had they individually custom tuned each one. The only aftermarket mod will be the CAI to take advantage of better air flow.

As far as proving that the tune did anything, I believe the Magnuson-Moss Law backs me here and the manufacturer would have to prove things. That is my understanding anyway, maybe I'm wrong.

Appreciate all the insight here on this though guys. This is how we learn...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Like I said to you earlier, it’s all in who we choose to believe about this, as you should have absolute trust in who you decide to go with.

I’m not saying they are wrong, but I’ll also let you know, there is a significant list of tuners for this platform that state the opposite, turning off the code is not a guarantee they won’t see aftermarket tuning.

Who do we believe? We all need to make that decision.

You ask the right questions, and I’m happy to help. I’m not stating any of this to argue the point, but more to be helpful to a new guy. But when you are leaning on MMA to come to your rescue in the event of an issue, especially when you are technically in the “wrong”, you are only going to be disappointed.

FCA is the ultimate chief engineer of their vehicles. Don’t 100% believe any aftermarket company when they tell you they can pull the wool over the manufacture’s eyes.

APR (and all others VW/Audi/Porsche tuners) is a significant tuner Corp in VAG world, and VAG turned their “undetectable tunes” and owners sideways when they started flagging vehicles with the TD1 tags, which basically voided warranty’s. Today, no one says that anymore with regards to tunes for that platform.

Best to be prepared to pay if an issue arises. If you get it covered, consider it a bonus, but don’t 100% plan on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
Mike,

I won't be swapping PCM's, just tuning on the stock one. I called and spoke to a tech at Livernois and they are guaranteeing that the dealer/FCA will not be able to see that tuning was done and the P1400 code is erased/blocked. How are they going to know? Why would Livernois say this if it weren't true? They are a big company that has a lot to lose with false information like this.

Also, I am not doing any tuning that would go beyond anything in power or fuel economy than what it would do from the factory had they individually custom tuned each one. The only aftermarket mod will be the CAI to take advantage of better air flow.

As far as proving that the tune did anything, I believe the Magnuson-Moss Law backs me here and the manufacturer would have to prove things. That is my understanding anyway, maybe I'm wrong.

Appreciate all the insight here on this though guys. This is how we learn...
I wouldnt count on the MMA to help you if you tune the car and something goes wrong in the motor. you clearly changed the way its designed and you would have to prove it didnt cause the issue in that case.
if you tune the car and the windows stop working and dealer says you tuned the motor thats why. they then would have to prove that and MMA would help how much I do not know?
I do not know anyone that used the law I only know about it. Us that Mod everything love to throw out MMA but its only words to me at this point until I see someone use and win without real cost its all just words.

saying all that WTF mod that thing how many miles you have on it? unless its brand new your prob ok assuming it modded correctly and you do your part

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldnt count on the MMA to help you if you tune the car and something goes wrong in the motor. you clearly changed the way its designed and you would have to prove it didnt cause the issue in that case.
if you tune the car and the windows stop working and dealer says you tuned the motor thats why. they then would have to prove that and MMA would help how much I do not know?
I do not know anyone that used the law I only know about it. Us that Mod everything love to throw out MMA but its only words to me at this point until I see someone use and win without real cost its all just words.

saying all that WTF mod that thing how many miles you have on it? unless its brand new your prob ok assuming it modded correctly and you do your part

You guys make some valid points for sure and that has me second guessing tuning things and just do a CAI for now and until closer to warranty running out.

It's brand new btw, so barely any miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
You guys make some valid points for sure and that has me second guessing tuning things and just do a CAI for now and until closer to warranty running out.

It's brand new btw, so barely any miles.
I am def different I modded my CTSV full tilt at 600 miles car har 450 when I bought it lol.
MY TH was modded at 1000 miles and only cuz it took that long to get parts.
I feel if it dont brake right away its prob not a warranty part anyways. 2000 miles no issues mod it. but I also think changing a set of pistons is no big deal (pay to play) what can really go wrong in motor? Im def more worried about he 17 computers it takes to make my windows go up and down. If something goes on motor just an excuse to make that part better and motor parts are nothing compared to the electronics on a car.
I keep saying I want to start a thread about the real reasons why guys dont mod and talk about each reason kinda debunk the warranty talk. someday I will lol.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am def different I modded my CTSV full tilt at 600 miles car har 450 when I bought it lol.
MY TH was modded at 1000 miles and only cuz it took that long to get parts.
I feel if it dont brake right away its prob not a warranty part anyways. 2000 miles no issues mod it. but I also think changing a set of pistons is no big deal (pay to play) what can really go wrong in motor? Im def more worried about he 17 computers it takes to make my windows go up and down. If something goes on motor just an excuse to make that part better and motor parts are nothing compared to the electronics on a car.
I keep saying I want to start a thread about the real reasons why guys dont mod and talk about each reason kinda debunk the warranty talk. someday I will lol.
I was the same way when I bought my S2000 new in 2003. Was one of the first in the country to ever turbo one and on the stock block to boot. pushing it to records and evolving it into what it is today. That first turbo mod went on at 3k miles and I never looked back, but then again, it is a Honda. LOL D*** thing only has 16k miles on it to this day and has never seen rain. Although now it is a monster 1000+ whp and is built to the gills. LOL

With the TH though, it concerns me to possibly voiding the warranty, so I need to weigh my options or at least take the mileage up to 3k-4k before deciding to do anything other than a CAI.

Reactions: ROCKETW19

·
Registered
100 Posts
Interesting thread. I too figured if it's going to break it's going to break early on. I started modding my TH and I was being conservative 10% lower pulley, 3.1 upper pulley 180 thermostat and drop in filter. I was in the process of tuning it, remote email tune via a "very reputable" tuner on this site and other Hellcat sites. I'm on the highway doing a WOT run logging when it went kaboom. Yes it was "only a piston" but it scored the cylinder wall to the point where it was too deep to save the block.

Anything can happen at anytime and second I wouldn't recommend a remote tune.

I had the 1400 code removed but in the end I decided not to try to get it warranted. The time and money spent waiting for FCA to make a decision and the chance it wasn't going to happen wasn't worth it to me. So I'm building a 426 instead.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting thread. I too figured if it's going to break it's going to break early on. I started modding my TH and I was being conservative 10% lower pulley, 3.1 upper pulley 180 thermostat and drop in filter. I was in the process of tuning it, remote email tune via a "very reputable" tuner on this site and other Hellcat sites. I'm on the highway doing a WOT run logging when it went kaboom. Yes it was "only a piston" but it scored the cylinder wall to the point where it was too deep to save the block.

I had the 1400 code removed but in the end I decided not to try to get it warranted. The time and money spent waiting for FCA to make a decision and the chance it wasn't going to happen wasn't worth it to me. So I'm building a 426 instead.

Wow man! Hate hearing this.

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
I was the same way when I bought my S2000 new in 2003. Was one of the first in the country to ever turbo one and on the stock block to boot. pushing it to records and evolving it into what it is today. That first turbo mod went on at 3k miles and I never looked back, but then again, it is a Honda. LOL D*** thing only has 16k miles on it to this day and has never seen rain. Although now it is a monster 1000+ whp and is built to the gills. LOL

With the TH though, it concerns me to possibly voiding the warranty, so I need to weigh my options or at least take the mileage up to 3k-4k before deciding to do anything other than a CAI.
this is 100% smart dont be crazy and mod it right out of the gate like I do but 2-3K miles you will know.

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts

well thats not a warranty thing that was a bad tune. that has nothing to do with warranty. I think its bad ass you are taking it very good and just building up. you have limitless options now just money stopping you, lol. how close are you to finishing? are you gonna slap a big ass 2650 SC on top and make some insane power?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.